Chain tension changing

winlite

Registered
I have only seen a couple of posts using search that address the problem of chain tension changeing as sprocket rotates. I am getting about an inch more deflection in the chain at the loosest point of rotation. The rear cush, or sprocket drum, looks like it may have 3/16 in of runout at the point nearest the swing arm on the left side. This may not mean a thing as it relates to the overall accuracy of the rear cush drive. My question is what is the most probable cause , cush drive , sprocket , or chain? Nothing feels wrong when riding the bike. Is it normal to get a small amount of different tension when rotating the tire or should it be exactly the same through 360 degrees of rotation? All help greatly appreciated.
sad.gif

DSCN0494__Small___2_.JPG

how many miles on the chain & sprockets? chains will strech over time then when you go to adjust it you end up with tight spots in the chain and cant keep it adjusted properly

Your chain is about to go. Keep an eye on it but I'd replace it now if I were you.

--Wag--

Judging by the color of yer bike (Yr.) if it is still original chain, sounds like it has some miles on it.

sad.gif
Ok thanks everyone. Bike is an 02 with 4500 miles. Should I replace the sprockets as well as the chain?

DSCN0494__Small___2_.JPG

Believe it or not, 4500 miles is nothing on that chain if it has been properly maintained and not drag raced!

When you put your new chain on, make sure you keep it properly maintained so you can get some reasonably good mileage out of it!

--Wag--

What you did is had it toooo tight! And the first time the swing arm went to its straight back position some thing had to give! It was the top torqued side of the chain. U can do it with a brand new one too. Its junk now. A bit too loose chain is much better than a tight one.

I have changed my chain to a EK ZZZ. Also replaced sprockets with new steel Sunstars. I still have the same problem with chain tension changeing as I rotate the wheel on the rear stand. Have done the wheel alignment with the string. Also have a tool with rods that goes through the rear axle and swingarm. Everything looks good as far as alignment goes. Sprockets look to be tracking straight and true with each other. When looking at the rear sprocket there is some perceptable wobble. All wheel bearings feel good. The axle looks straight, however I Don't have blocks and dial indicator to check it with. I suspect the cush drum may not be as true as it should be. Any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. A small amount of change would not concern me, but am getting about 2" at the loosest point when the tightest point is At 3/4".
guns.gif

DSCN0494__Small___2_.JPG

I would take a good look at the cush drive if you haven't already. Make sure #14 spacer is not damaged. Take a good look at the bearings as well. 15 and 3(2ea).

rear_wheel.gif

Despite the careful machining,your rear sprocket can be slightly egcintric.After adjusting your chain as normal,loosen your sprocket bolts just to snug, rotate your wheel several times. The lose side and the tight side will balance out closer to even,although it won't remove all of it it should be much closer.Retighten sprocket. Alittle trick I picked up back in the BMX days,just backwards.

Back