Noise Near Front Sprocket

pgeofm

Registered
Hello all.
I have a question about a noise i hear when rotating the rear wheel while pushing it around or while it's on the rear stand.
If it's on the rear stand and I rotate the rear tire (nuetral or in gear clutch in) I hear a knocking/popping sound around the front sprocket. Same thing on the ground pushing the bike. I checked to see if the rear tire was in alignment and all is good. The chain seems OK too and I only have about 3000 miles on it. One inch slack. I'm confident it's not the chain rounding the sprocket. Any ideas? Thanks.???

Good question. I'm going to have to pull the cover off when I get home next weekend. The rear is stock though and the stock chain went on OK.

change rearsets lately? some of the aftermarket ones the bolts will hit the chain

Nope. Stockers on there but I'll check the clearance. I've ridden it like this and chains looks good. Can't see and scrapes or anything.
Keep the suggestions coming!:thumbsup:

Aftermarket front sprockets do not have the rubber isolator like a stock sprocket...they are noisy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Usually, that noise is the chain bouncing... if you only have one inch of slack, could be the teeth are already rounded or there is somthing in there under the cover. You may want to look closely at the chain, if you have only had it 3K and you don't know if it is a stock sprocket, something may have happened. Look to see if it is a stock chain, if it is look and see if it is the stock master link. If it is aftermarket; best bet is to pull her aprat and see what is going on. Look at the front sproket with the cover off and have some else turn the wheel to see if you can get a better idea of what is happeneing.

yep like mc said. pull the front cover off and check it out. the other day someone posted a pic of a stock front sprocket with a tooth broken off the front sprocket. best way is to clean it all up and inspect it.

Now that I think about it I saw what looked to be aluminum dust in the bottom of the oil drain pan during the oil change. I wonder if that could be a sign of a bearing worn through or something rubbing. The dust was silver and non magnetic.
Maybe I'm just overly concerned but I don't like the sound of it.

Back