New Guy wanting a Busa

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Hello everyone, not a new rider, but new to this site. I am currently in Afghanistan and waiting til next year upon my return to pick up a new Busa. I have several years riding experience, and have rode a friends Busa....yeah I fell in love with it right away.
Since I am due back May/June 2005, I am looking into a 04' or 05'. I have seen talk about the shift fork shaft being a weak when using modded power adders, or racing. I dont plan on racing, but if it is a weak link in the 04's then is it a good idea to replace it anyway? Also, heard the clutches are recommended to be upgraded. Is this another race-only good idea (bad for street and occasional strip) or good overall?
Other than pm-wheels, who else makes quality, chrome wheels for Busa's? And any other general accessories, sliders, windscreens etc...is there a more complete all-in-one on-line store, or no?
What would be an estimate on longevity/reliability for a stock Busa using a 15-25 shot of Nitrous? Are the stock engines capable of handling it?
BTW, I live in Hawaii, thanks to the Army. There are several Busa racers there, but until lately I havent thought that much about getting one, so I never talked with them first hand. I am looking at the Busa for its reputation, comfort, style, and basically the whole package.

Thanks,

Welcome
smile.gif

I have seen talk about the shift fork shaft being a weak when using modded power adders, or racing.  I dont plan on racing, but if it is a weak link in the 04's then is it a good idea to replace it anyway?

Also, heard the clutches are recommended to be upgraded.  Is this another race-only good idea (bad for street and occasional strip) or good overall?

Other than pm-wheels, who else makes quality, chrome wheels for Busa's?

And any other general accessories, sliders, windscreens etc...is there a more complete all-in-one on-line store, or no?

What would be an estimate on longevity/reliability for a stock Busa using a 15-25 shot of Nitrous?  Are the stock engines capable of handling it?

Welcome to the board dude!!
I have seen talk about the shift fork shaft being a weak when using modded power adders, or racing. I dont plan on racing, but if it is a weak link in the 04's then is it a good idea to replace it anyway?

Answer:
If yer only planning on making around 200hp, which is about all you'll get with bolton stuff, and a 15-25 shot it'll be fine..
Lots of guys out there running 275+ hp turbo bikes on the street with no shaft problems.

Also, heard the clutches are recommended to be upgraded. Is this another race-only good idea (bad for street and occasional strip) or good overall?

Answer:
Clutch mods are great for drag racing, and nice for the street....depends on how much ya stoplight race.
If ya drag race all the time.....modify yer clutch...it'll be easier to launch well, and it will last longer.......if yer not drag racing, it's not a nessecity!!!!

Other than pm-wheels, who else makes quality, chrome wheels for Busa's?
Answer:
Click here: http://www.rccomponents.com/

And any other general accessories, sliders, windscreens etc...is there a more complete all-in-one on-line store, or no?
Click here www.streetntrackimport.com ...talk to Charles
or here: www.schnitzracing.com for performance stuff!!

What would be an estimate on longevity/reliability for a stock Busa using a 15-25 shot of Nitrous? Are the stock engines capable of handling it?
Answer: lika all things.....depends on how hard ya beat on it.
generally speaking, installed correctly/used correctly it will last a very long time

Welcome to the board dude!!

welcome to the board.
about the front forks, the are really good unless you do alot of stoppies, then you will blow them up. i have 2 busas my self & i blew the 2001 forks twice from stoppies since it is really heavy bike, i drag race it & never had any problems with both.
about the clutch, the clutch on 2003 & newer are alot better & since you are not going to race it, the stoock ones should last you for a long time.
about chrome wheels i don't know too much about them cause i don't like spending my money on something will not make it go faster. but there is aolt of places they do chrome stuff, i'm sure alot of guys here on the web will help you with some info
NOS, the stock engine will handle 50hp shot NOS with no problem, which that's what i have on my 01 busa.
if you are looking for a bike has the style, power, looks, comfort. busa is what you need, i am sure all the guys will agree with me.
here is a link about busa parts.

Thanks for the reception, info, and the links. Always appreciate the finer details.
Looking forward to getting home to get this bike rollin.

Welcome to the board, CAT! RC components makes some nice wheels and I am probably looking at a set for myself. Who are you with in Afghanistan? I am across the pond in Kuwait for about the same amount of time.

Welcome, of course!

You said you're in Afghanistan, so you have my best wishes for safety, health, and mindfulness. Thank you for your dedication to service.

<!--EDIT|VFRGuy008
Reason for Edit: "I ought to learn how to read other posts thoroughly"|1087240124 -->

Kandahar. Dusty, hot, smells like a camels rear (might be die to the water treatment facility they put in upwind of our area
sad.gif
)
Due back in May/June 2005, and the bike will be home before the wife, with her agreement of course.
Thanks again for the warm welcome and appreciation of the Armed Forces. We all have a part in freedom!

You think it's bad now, you should have seen it in the early days!

Back