New Guy on the block

If you are used to working on stuff it is no big task. You can buy an undercut trans in advance...pull the engine...split the cases and put it back together in a day or two...provided you have the gaskets, sealers...etc. There are a few shops on this site that offer the trans service. If you pull hard through first and second and it doesn't feel like the chain is jumping teeth the trans has life left in it. When apart I am sure...I do not know the thickness...but the shift forks take a beating as well. Even if it is bad you can baby second gear and get into third for the time being.

Whats up with 2nd? what brakes what will it do?

Thanks everyone so far.

The mis shift between first and second and sometimes fifth and sixth are simply operator issues. The real problem that can occur is damage to the dogbones or shift forks because second gear isn't undercut. The Gen IIs come that way. For the average Joe it's not a problem , but you seem to be the run the piss out of it type of guy that will clutchless shift from first to sixth ........ search is your friend here.

So the 03 im looking at should not have any shifting troubles then with it being a gen 1. I was not going to add this photo but I will be picking it up in middle of next week so here it is.

1393366890039_zps63eb8299.jpg

Take it out to an open road with no cops or traffic and pin it through 3rd gear. If it stumbles or pops out of second gear don't buy it. That's what happens if the second gear issue strikes it will not stay in second gear under heavy load.

ok I talked to the guy im getting it from today. He is a coworker He told me he has never had a shifting trouble with the bike. If i was to have the trans under cunder cut What is the $$$$ tag i will be looking at?

What are you planning on doing with the bike ? I had a '06, same bike mechanically and I rode the piss out of it for 36K miles. I did not do a lot of clutchless shifting but I did miss second gear a dozen times or so and I even found the false neutral between 5th and 6th a few times when getting it. My fault. Contact by PM Gixerhp and or goldenchild. You would have to open the cases to work on the tranny ( pull the motor ) and to beef it up right while you're in there, heavy / hardened output shafts, undercut second gear, etc. you're looking 2 - 3 K. So if you're not planning on building a sandrail with it or hitting the dragstrip every weekend you probably shouldn't do it until it tears up. It's pretty damn good for the factory 150 - 165 RWHP, the higher you go the harder it is on second gear. Talk to the experts.

Back