New Chain & stuff

ozz

Donating Member
Registered
O.K....I finally put a new chain (ek 530 zvx) with JT steal sprockets and replaced the cush...wow, what a difference in smoothness and shifting...I did notice that the original c.s. had rubber on the sides and the JT does not...My question is this...I took her out for a test ride last night and I immediately noticed that the c.s. sprocket seems a bit louder (like a gear whine sound?)...is this normal for a JT c.s.? it's not super bad, just one more annoying noise to listen to on the long haul rides.

Oh yea, one more question...after I put my chain on I adjusted it and went for I ride...when I got home I put the bike on the center and spun the wheel around and checked my work and all looked o.k. but I did notice that the chain is a just a little looser in one spot...should'ent the chain be fairly even all the way around as far as slack is concerned?

I mean, it's only maybe an 1/8 in. difference from the tight spot to the loose spot...did I screw something up or is this o.k.?

Ya need to check tension while you have wieght on it... a 2 person trick, alignment will also mess withe the sound, if it is off square it will make more noise and wear out real quick..

Ya need to check tension while you have wieght on it... a 2 person trick, alignment will also mess withe the sound, if it is off square it will make more noise and wear out real quick..
Are you saying that someone should be on the bike and then check tension?....I'm not positive but I think the wheel is square...I mean as far as the swing arm marks go anyhow...I do notice that the chain seems to ride towards the right side of the rear sprocket if you were looking at it from the rear of the bike...Thats is the the teeth of the rear sprocket aren't lined up directly in the middle of the chain...

I don't know that you need a person on it but you do need the wheel on the ground; use the side stand. Then allow for the proper slack. You do NOT want to adjust it with the wheel off the ground. Instant chain stretch!!

--Wag--

Made that mistake once already! Cost of Chain Tensioning Class in the school of hard knocks: $125.00

Gotcha Wag
smile.gif
I did adjust it while on the side stand and then after the first ride rechecked tension and found that the chain was a bit loose in one spot...only just a little bit but was thinking maybe I screwed up the rivet link maybe or something...is it normal to have a bit of loose spot on a new chain?

Gotcha Wag
smile.gif
I did adjust it while on the side stand and then after the first ride rechecked tension and found that the chain was a bit loose in one spot...only just a little bit but was thinking maybe I screwed up the rivet link maybe or something...is it normal to have a bit of loose spot on a new chain?
A loose spot? I'm not sure I know what you mean. I'm no chain expert, though. Maybe one of the other pros here can say . . . .

--Wag--

Gotcha Wag
smile.gif
A loose spot?  I'm not sure I know what you mean.  I'm no chain expert, though.  Maybe one of the other pros here can say . . . .

--Wag--
+1 I didn`t get it. What spot do you mean?

I meant I put the bike on the rear stand and rotated the wheel until I found the area of the chain that seemed to be a little tight...I then put the bike on the side stand and adjusted the chain to 1 inch of play where the tight spot is...but I was wondering if I should have any loose or tight spots at all with a new chain.

It's not much of a difference between the tightest spot on the chain and the loose spot, maybe an 1/8 in. difference between the two...so I got 1in. of slack at the tight spot and about 1 1/8 at the loose spot when mearsuring the chain slack...is this o.k.?

Somehow, I'm not getting it. Do you mean there is less sag at some point along the chain? Is it less flexible at a certain point? Is the "tight spot" where you crimped the chain together with the rivet tool?

Somehow, I don't get this.

--Wag--

ouch...  looks like you crunched the pins on the master link.  I'd take it off, check the length of it for flex.Get a new Master Link and rivet it with care, make sure you use the lube and align the o-rings.

as is it might be dangerous... someone here tossed a chain at around 80 over the summer.

<!--EDIT|CorrodedAlien
Reason for Edit: "hmmm"|1133156762 -->

ouch...  looks like you crunched the pins on the master link.  I'd take it off, check the length of it for flex.Get a new Master Link and rivet it with care, make sure you use the lube and align the o-rings.

as is it might be dangerous...  someone here tossed a chain at around 80 over the summer.
Thanks...yea, I think I better get a new master link and start over...that coming off at 80 thing aint good...if I lived thru it I can't imagine how much stuff would get ripped off the bike when a chain lets go...
wow.gif
smile.gif

Reinstall a new master using a bonifide chain tool like the Pro-motion jumbo tool. The pins do not need to be smashed to the point of cracking, just expanded to be larger then the hole on the link. Did you notice how hard the link was to get on before expanding the pins? Doesn't take much smash, and too much will cause binding. the noise is standard, she "sings" without the rubber casing on the front sprocket. More critical is sprocket alignment, need to use the method found "sticky pinned" here. Or, even better, get a set of Giles adjusters, ($160) which are way more precise and cool as sh*t.  Street & Track can help you there....if'in ya like the high speed stuff, 150+ like I do, this stuff has to be right!!!

<!--EDIT|moondog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133548675 -->

Thankyou moondog...I have a new master in my hot little hand as we speak...uuuu wait a minute, that did'ent sound right...I mean I have a new master link for the chain but need to install it...yes, I did notice how hard it was to press the plate on...and I'm glad you said something about how the c.s. sings...man I can't believe the rubber around it makes such a difference...I mean it's not that bad, I just hate alot rattling and stuff and this just adds to it all...I think I will give the sprocket alignment procedure found here first a try...Giles adjusters, cool, I will check those out to.

Back