New Busa owner

Turbo-Torch

Donating Member
Registered
Hi everybody,

Stopped by a local dealer on Thursday, checked out the new '04 Blue/Silver Busa they had there.  So much of it reminded me of my 20 year old CXT's, from the complete dash layout to the sweet sound of the fuel pump when the ignition key is turned on.  Got 'em down to $9725 OTD, made out a check and drove off with my new rocket
smile.gif

So far I love everything about.  The styling, ergo's and power just can't be beat.

I hit 100 miles today and intend to change the oil tomorrow.  Does the Busa's wet clutch have any problems with a synthetic blend like Castrol Syntec?  Been using that for many years in both my Honda Turbo bikes and they seem to like it, no coking and the wet clutch doesn't slip.

Break in maintenance...what exactly does the dealer do for 2 bills?  I can't stand the thought and someone touching any of my vehicles but if this has to be done for warranty purposes I have no choice.  All I see in the manual for 600 miles is very basic checks and an oil change.  No way that should run $200.  Do they at least do a valve clearance inspection?

Also are there any frame sliders out there that don't require cutting or modifying the body work?

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081137816 -->

busa.jpg

Turbo, can't answer the question on oil well because I have only changed mine once and that was at the 600 mile service. There are threads on this board that talk about it and I don't believe there is a problem, but do a search for them to provide better answers. As far as the service goes, it is very minor. There are people on this board who like you want to be the only ones to touch their bikes and did their own service. My personal opinion is to take it in if only for warranty protection. No one has talked about problems that required service or where the warranty might be involved, so I don't really know how they look at it. You may also want to ask your dealer that will perform the service. There is at least one set of frame sliders that can be installed without cutting the fairings, but I believe they are expensive. This is always a popular topic on the forum. So, to make a long story short check out the threads and I'm sure you will be provided with plenty of information to help you make your decisions.

Welcome to the board and enjoy the ride!

I would wait till' about 3k mi. before switching to synthetic. That'll insure everything is fully broken-in and seated properly. No need for the dealer either just a glorifed pre ride check/oil change.

Turbo, you may want to look into setting up a bracket connected to the engine mounts. The dealer here did that to a couple of Gixx750s and to my cousin's G1k.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a bracket, but it may be something you would like to look into.

Just my 0.2

Like Twist said wait till 2k or 3k to go to synthetic so everything will break in properly. Most people on this board seem to use Mobile 1 as do I no problem with clutch or anything make shifting a lot smoother.

Oh yeah welcome to the board

Thanks for the tips guys! I hope I didn't open a can of worms with the oil question...I know it's a taboo subject in a.m.s.
smile.gif

I'm going to do some more checking on the 600 mile break in service. I've read the manual from cover to cover and it doesn't mention anything about a dealer needing to perform it. I guess they have to get you somehow since they can't sell you rust proofing or undercoating
smile.gif

smile.gif

I belive at the 600 mile service they are suppose to check all the torque on the boltsto make sure that nothing vibrated loose. They probably don't!! they just change the oil and adjust the chain if needed. I would do it yourself unless the dealer will do it free at least you know it was done right.

My dealer said that they sync the throttle bodies during the 600 mile service. That is not mentioned anywhere in the MOM. I had told them that if all that was done for the 600 mile service was what was stated in the MOM that I would probably just do it myself. That's when they told me about syncing the throttle bodies. I decided to take it to them even though it is an hour away and that I had to wait three weeks for an appointment, during which I racked up 1500 miles (I've changed the oil twice myself in that time at 80 and 588). Is this something that should be done at this point or are they just blowing smoke? My Yamaha Warrior is also fuel injected and the maintenance schedule does call for this during the 600 mile service on that bike. I will be a little pissed off if when I pick the bike up and ask them about syncing the throttle bodies they don't know what I am talking about.

Another board member here pointed me to a very good article rgarding use of synthetics with a wet clutch,but I can't find the link now.Ride Or Fish was kind enough to point it out to me.If I can dig it out of old E-mails I will post it here.He and I both run full synthetic with no problems.According to the report,you simply have to make sure it is "non energy conserving".Wait before switching to it for a while,as others here have recommended,and don't waste your money on "semi-synthetics."

Thanks for the tips guys!  I hope I didn't open a can of worms with the oil question...I know it's a taboo subject in a.m.s.
smile.gif

I'm going to do some more checking on the 600 mile break in service.  I've read the manual from cover to cover and it doesn't mention anything about a dealer needing to perform it.  I guess they have to get you somehow since they can't sell you rust proofing or undercoating
smile.gif
You do what you're most comfortable with...if you want the extra reassurance of not having Suzuki stiff you down the road because you did it on your own, then take it to a dealer for the initial service...

My dealer said all I needed were receipts and good records of what I did and when...dates, mileage, etc...I have serviced my Busa from day one; oil changes, checking/adjusting/lubricating the chain and other fluids...I did have a performance shop check over the bike while they were lowering him, but other than that, I'm comfortable with what my dealer said about being able to do the service myself...

Nice Busa! Welcome to the board!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081192527 -->

smile.gif

smile.gif

Back