Tapping sound after new clutches and new gaskets?

Joshmc628

Registered
2016 Busa 16k mi. Changed out my clutches and also the gaskets for my starter clutch. Also added new spark plugs and air filter. Rode the bike for 10 mins and everything was working great. Came back to ride again 30 mins later and there’s a tapping sound from the clutch side. It increases with throttle. It also happens even when in gear.
So far I’ve taken everything down and retightened everything. Dropped the oil pan and there’s no metal and very little debris. I did notice some knicks inside the clutch case, not sure how new the knicks are but there isn’t any damage on the clutch plate.
B355D9FD-A26D-40E1-88D8-ED3579FC8940.jpeg
Exhausted all my knowledge on this one, where else do I look? any insight is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Whatever the noise is, is making my push rod vibrate like crazy. Noticed my front sprocket cover broke from the bottom mount screw , so I decided to check under there. It’s gotten louder the more I crank the bike. Starting to think I somehow damaged the engine.

2016 Busa 16k mi. Changed out my clutches and also the gaskets for my starter clutch. Also added new spark plugs and air filter. Rode the bike for 10 mins and everything was working great. Came back to ride again 30 mins later and there’s a tapping sound from the clutch side. It increases with throttle. It also happens even when in gear.
So far I’ve taken everything down and retightened everything. Dropped the oil pan and there’s no metal and very little debris. I did notice some knicks inside the clutch case, not sure how new the knicks are but there isn’t any damage on the clutch plate. View attachment 1633366Exhausted all my knowledge on this one, where else do I look? any insight is greatly appreciated
I know this damage. One of your screws is bit loose. When you pull the clutch the screws hit the Clutch cover. I had similar damage replacing screws that were a tad too long. I payed for that mistake. Since you changed out the clutch and check tightness I would think perhaps your clutch pack is too large. Might want to measure it again. So make sure you aren't over spec..

@Joshmc628

sorry for my bad news

man? cover is alu, the screws steel so you won´t see anything at the screws but your cover tells me

but no other chance
but to disassemble ALL
check if the long bolts are really screwed in up to their end
then reassemble it all following line by line the manual
check if the little "T-formed" rod in the middle goes into the pressure plate´s hole
(that crap happened to me years ago and i ..... ;) )

order of installation of all parts ? - see microfiches

and to avoid all clutch slipping issues :
the sharp edges of the steel "teeth" all in one direction, i.e. all either inwards or all outwards
plus
last friction disc turn 1 hole over

good luck

Back