Netflix

bigoltool

Registered
Anybody use this? I have been for a while now but as of last night they are now requiring Windows Media Player 11, which will not work on my version of Windows Media Center. MS says you need WMC2005 or later. Any tech guys know whats up with this?

Not sure exactly what it is, seems to work fine on my work laptop, however the one thing that really I was hoping to use it fore doesnt work :angry: You cannot stream out of the USA. Being in Germany with no real German language skills, heck I couldnt even get slapped in German.... I had to do some vpn tunnelling fun to get it working.

Its a limited selection, very limited compared to their normal list but its pretty good with TV shows
cool.gif

You have a legal version of XP?
Yep! It is Windows Media Center Edition (basically a different flavor of XP pro)with all service pack updates. MS says you need at least MCE2005 to install the Media player 11 though. The pisser is that three days ago Netflix didn't require this (MP11) and now it's kaput.
thumb_down.gif

I have Netflix.. works great... love it!.. bit addicting though, if you think you're up too late playing on the 'puter now, just wait!

Yep! It is Windows Media Center Edition (basically a different flavor of XP pro)with all service pack updates. MS says you need at least MCE2005 to install the Media player 11 though. The pisser is that three days ago Netflix didn't require this (MP11) and now it's kaput.  
thumb_down.gif
I've seen MP11 on dozens of XP MCE machines.

Minimum system requirements
The following hardware and software are required to use Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP:

Component Required Recommended
Operating system
One of the following:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows XP Professional SP2, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP2, including the N and KN editions which do not include Windows Media Player and related technologies
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with KB900325 (Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005) and KB925766 (the October 2006 Update Rollup) installed
Any N or KN edition of Windows Vista that does not include Windows Media Player and related technologies
Same as required configuration.

In addition, go to Windows Update and install any high-priority updates that are available for your computer.

thumb_down.gif
I've seen MP11 on dozens of XP MCE machines.

Minimum system requirements
The following hardware and software are required to use Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP:

Component Required Recommended  
Operating system
One of the following:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows XP Professional SP2, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP2, including the N and KN editions which do not include Windows Media Player and related technologies
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with KB900325 (Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005) and KB925766 (the October 2006 Update Rollup) installed
Any N or KN edition of Windows Vista that does not include Windows Media Player and related technologies
Same as required configuration.

In addition, go to Windows Update and install any high-priority updates that are available for your computer.
Thats the problem. Mine is Media Center Edition 2002. Downright stupid if you ask me. Media center is all XP why the heck wouldn't MS support it?

I have Netflix..  works great...  love it!..  bit addicting though, if you think you're up too late playing on the 'puter now, just wait!
tell me bout' it. last night watched 3 movies back to back to back. all FREE. had to get up early this morning to meet friend in ATL for the bike show. tired now but as soon as i leave here i'm going back to netflix again tonite. i know- get a life.
clap.gif

OK Computer studs. I posted my issue on theGreenbutton.com and one of the folks on there pointed me towards this utility(Ident Set) . If I understand it correctly it basically tricks MS into thinking you are running a different version of Media Center Edition than you have so you can run things such as the Media Player 11 I now need to continue watching Netflix online. God I hate MS and their DRM BS! Anyone ever seen or used this utility? Downsides?

BTW I now know I am running Media Center Edition 2004 version 5.1.2600.2180

I poked around on their site for a while and could never find a list of what movies are available for on line use.

Never did try it.

--Wag--

Back