Nep cruise control install

Dudley

Registered
I was unable to get the Vista-Cruise (IMO a cleaner looking product) to fit because their was not enough clearance between the grip and the throttle housing for the unit to fit without major grinding.
I therefore installed the NEP unit (#CC-4) with a few minor mods. First off you need to peel back the grip flange from the plastic flange underneath. After this the NEP will fit in pretty easily. On my 'busa there was a little bit of friction which did not allow the throttle to return freely even when the cruise control was properly adjusted and not engaged (check your bike's fitment before grinding). I removed the unit and used a Demel tool to grind down the lower half of each raised spacers. (see fig.1)

IMG_0521_b.jpg

Because the lever is angled in the wrong direction (see fig.2), the unit is difficult to disengage when wearing gloves.

IMG_0520_b.JPG

So, I also removed some of the cruise control lever (see Fig.1 for cutting point). After cutting with the Dremel and grinding until smooth, the lever should look like fig.3.

IMG_0522_b.jpg

Installed (fig.4) you can see that there is now a small space between the lever and the throttle housing that a gloved thumb can fit to flip the lever into the off position.
I reinstalled the unit and followed adjustment directions on the package. The whole project should take about 30 to 45 minutes.

IMG_0525_b.JPG

Good write up man! I just went and bought a set of Throttlemeisters because I couldnt get my trusty NEP to work without surgery. The problem Is that I have ridden with the NEP for twenty years and the Throttlemeister seems foreign to me. Also seems to vibe a bit more than my big brass bar ends. May try to do his again.

I tried to do the NEP again. Strike three! My heated grip leads were going to interfere with it! Back to the drawing board.

Bummer, I don't have heated grips so I don't have any suggestions. I'm guessing that the clearance between the grip flnge and the throtle housing is too small. Can the grips be moved out a bit?

Thats not the biggest issue. The Wiring for the grips runs out of the bottom side of the grip and I have em tucked up pretty snug with just enough slack to operate the throttle. This is right where the bottom pivot of the NEP would lie. The grip heaters are a great upgrade regardless of the cost($30) and I highly recommend them! I haven't given up yet just going to have to get a little more creative is all.

Back