Need Veteran Input

04busa

Registered
I’ve had my bike now for about 10 days. My previous two bikes were a blackbird and ZX-11. I also own a ST1300.

Neither the bird or the 11 scared me, but the Busa has my nuts in a sling. I scared myself twice this last week and am left shaken. Things happened so fast. I was so close to some serious trouble (I’m sure you can all understand what I mean here).

I am wondering:

1) If my previous experience with big bore bikes has made me over confident with the Busa and, as I gain respect, I won’t feel like the bike is going to kill me anymore?

2) If this bike is just too much and my gut is telling me to stick with my docile ST1300?

3) I can’t shake the feeling that I’m going to get arrested. The Busa so easily zaps to 120, that I’m there frequently. The speed rush is so insane. The cops will get me eventually.

Only I know the answers but any input or suggestions would be helpful. Riding a Busa is a profound psychological experience and my mind can’t stop thinking about risk vs. reward scenarios. I find it hard to sleep sometimes too. Not to mention that I have a 4 year-old daughter and would hate to have her daddy splattered at 120.

Can you guys knock some sense into me?

Thanks a million. I’ll let you all know if I decide to sell (should I live through next week).

Scott

ahhhhhhhhh hell you just gotta learn restaint..lol remember who's boss . and getting arrested is not so bad............:p

ahhhhhhhhh hell you just gotta learn restaint..lol remember who's boss . and getting arrested is not so bad...........
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

hahaha, its a trick suzuki is sucking you into, soon you will be addicted to the adrenaline, you WILL become a junkie, performing mods, pulling out your hair for more HP. my suggestion, get a radar detector and a H.A.R.D. unit...
wink.gif

Scott, just remember, you are the master of the machine.

It only goes fast if you twist the throttle.

It sounds like you are grounded well with your family. Tape a small picture of your little girl right between the gauges. That'll keep you in check.

Think of it this way; you wouldn't sail out to sea and not respect the Sea would you? I think not!

Ride safe, ride tomorrow!

Scott,

The bike can be a great sane ride - I take mine on trips and love riding it. Just learn to "control" your wrist - you are supposed to control the bike not the other way around.

Kent

Being excited by the bike is a very good thing. Being scared isn't.

The other guys are right about learning to control it and not getting carried away. But ultimately you're going to have to decide if it is a good bike for you. If it is scaring you, during the ride or after, you might want to rethink ownership.

Fear does not make us better riders. It makes us tense and hesitant. It can impare judgement. It can put a rider at odds with the bike -- which it isn't supposed to be.

We don't bully the Busa. We don't wrestle it for control. Or rather we shouldn't. It ought to be a synthesis of rider and machine. If mind and machine don't get along well... There can be trouble.

Be safe. Enjoy it. Try to get used to it. But if the match isn't good between you and the Busa -- lose it.

Don't let this evil machine convince you to do things your not ready for or can't handle. Damn this bike!
smile.gif

I’ve had my bike now for about 10 days.   My previous two bikes were a blackbird and ZX-11.  I also own a ST1300.

Neither the bird or the 11 scared me, but the Busa has my nuts in a sling.  I scared myself twice this last week and am left shaken.  Things happened so fast. I was so close to some serious trouble (I’m sure you can all understand what I mean here).  

I am wondering:

1) If my previous experience with big bore bikes has made me over confident with the Busa and, as I gain respect, I won’t feel like the bike is going to kill me anymore?

2) If this bike is just too much and my gut is telling me to stick with my docile ST1300?

3) I can’t shake the feeling that I’m going to get arrested.  The Busa so easily zaps to 120, that I’m there frequently.  The speed rush is so insane.  The cops will get me eventually.

Only I know the answers but any input or suggestions would be helpful.  Riding a Busa is a profound psychological experience and my mind can’t stop thinking about risk vs. reward scenarios.  I find it hard to sleep sometimes too. Not to mention that I have a 4 year-old daughter and would hate to have her daddy splattered at 120.  

Can you guys knock some sense into me?

Thanks a million.   I’ll let you all know if I decide to sell (should I live through next week).

Scott
i have thought that way a few times , i have 3 kids myself and a truly blessed life. i have a love of riding that i cant let go, it also comes with a serious power additction. the thing that keeps me fairly sane is i pick my battles, brief full throttle blasts on straight unpopulated familiar roads. i hit my limit around 140-150 and BACK OFF! it fills my need and i can ride normal for a while. Once your comfortable with her power then plan your rides around those spots.
if you have no control whatsoever sell it. your family is waay more important.

Reeeelax, chief. It's ok. Lotsa power, but you don't have to use it. You just have to learn a little restraint. It's really a very civilized bike, until you twist 'er in anger. My last bike was almost as big but also a pussycat. I had to adjust also.

FWIW, check your throttle cable free play (make 'em nice and tight) so that it isn't "on/off," and try and fiddle with the suspension a little -- the front ships with too little preload and too much damping, which makes for unpleasant dive.

Also, the stock tires don't have a tremendous amount of bite, IMO, and the stock brakes are a bit spongy and fade some with heavy use. SS lines and new pads fixes that up a good deal.

Other than that, just spend some time riding it in comfortable settings...go back to the parking lot, if need be, and try some U-turns, esses, weaves, etc., and the throttle control will start to come online.

Please don't sell it without out some more effort -- you'll regret it.

ED: Oh, I almost forgot -- a Throttle Rocker ($6) takes of some wrist pressure and enables a bit more subtlety. Very useful for keeping the mind in control of the ride. Plus, it helps on longer trips.

<!--EDIT|mcoyote
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078011561 -->

Dude been riding for ten years. So i think of myself as a semi veteran. I went form 600 to an 1100 to a busa. And i scared the crap outta myself firt time i rode her. I had the ame thoughts. # kids and a wife. Decent life. I take it easy, respect the bike and speed safely. Open roads. Short burst other than that. Just cruise around KNOWING you can beat any muthafucka out there!

Scott, just remember, you are the master of the machine.

It only goes fast if you twist the throttle.

It sounds like you are grounded well with your family. Tape a small picture of your little girl right between the gauges. That'll keep you in check.

Think of it this way; you wouldn't sail out to sea and not respect the Sea would you? I think not!

Ride safe, ride tomorrow!
Yup....

Dude, The throttle works both ways... I am wondering though how the busa can be getting you in too deep compared to the Blackbird or ZX-11... I mean the Busa is faster and quicker sure, but it is more of an evolutionary step up... Not like you just hopped off a Vespa...

So I dunno something isn't making sense here. If you thin you are in over your head you probably are... Take it slow, get aquainted with the Busa gradually. But if your still feeling intimidated by it... I would consider moving on...

Seriously, it's not a good idea to ride skeered... Fear will make all of your worst nightmares come true...

I agree with Revlis, You have to trust your gut. None of us know you better than you know you..

That little voice in all of our heads is there for a reason. I mean what the other guys have said about throttle control and just learning who is master and you are the master of the bike, the bike isnt master of you is all true..

However, and I can't express this enough.. you need to trust your gut.. If I dont feel like riding one day.. I dont.. I dont care of there is a ride setup, or what is going on.. if I wake up and feel something isnt right and I shoudlnt geton the bike.. I dont get on the bike...

If you are an experianced rider on other bikes, and something just isnt feeling right about the Busa... dont ignore those feelings. I am not telling you to go out and sell it and forget it, but I would seriously consider those feelings, and if nothing else dont take it above the speed limit.. put a limiter on it if you have to for awhile or something.....

Bottom line, trust what you feel, 9 times out of 10 when a person has a feeling about something it is for a good reason...

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078091149 -->

Good advice above. I came from an FJ1200 so I've been getting used to the power. Drive it like a granny for awhile until you can feel and predict how it rolls and moves. Then start working on full throttle roll-ons at lower rpms and higher gears first. Start leaning into slow turns where not much is at stake. You will get to feel at one with the bike after awhile. You DEFINATELY need at least a month or two to adapt--there's no hurry
smile.gif

When I was 14 (a loooong time ago), I got my first "Man's bike". My uncle gave it to me--a HD Sportster. I had been riding a street legal 165cc two stroke so he understood that I had basic riding skills. When I first sat on the big (for me) V-Twin and grabbed the handlebar grips in awe, he didn't lecture me but rather touched my throttle hand and said "It's all in the wrist..." and, without typical death and doom drama, he then touched my head and said "and this controls your wrist!" while staring deeply into my eyes.

Those few words were profound for me at the time. Decades later, after owning a couple of dozen bikes (really), I've never forgotten his brief-but-wise instructions for survival. I enjoy a 0 to 100+ blast as much as anyone. I also enjoy the the experience of restraint. Both remind me that I AM IN CONTROL of my ego, myself, and the baddest bike in the world. I hope his words can have meaning for you too.
smile.gif
Good luck!

<!--EDIT|WarBaby
Reason for Edit: "Correct &quot;typo&quot;."|1078050880 -->

I'm with Rev....a XX and Zed11 aren't terribly far off from the busa......I have a friend with a XX that routinely runs right up my a** when I'm not lookin...something else has to factor in here besides an additional 25-40 horsepower........any ideas??

A little fear is a good thing. It keeps you in check.
wink.gif
The fear of getting another ticket kept me out of triple digits today.
wow.gif

Back