Lots of reading, need seating input

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I’ve been learning a ton from this forum, and with the knowledge learned from books like A twist of the Wrist by Keith Code, and Total Control: High-Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks, I have a few questions.

Parks says to leave a gap between you and the Gas tank, and yet I hear guys having their jewels ride on the tank all the time. I was riding in this position, and it works ok, but I have now given myself a gap between the tank, and myself and it really feels different. Where the heck is a guy supposed to sit on the busa seat? Is it different for twisties, than it is for straight line? Should a guy be parking his rump against the back hump, or is this too far back?

I’ve been working on understanding my riding skills I’ve developed over the years, and now that I’m taking an approach that any idiot can twist the throttle, but it takes a skilled rider to ride the bike properly and effectively, I’ve been learning that I’ve developed some bad habits over the years.

I have taken the strain off my arms, and wrists by using my back, stomach muscles, and legs, and wow----what a huge difference in bike response, and rider fatigue. I’ve been slowly trying to read my corners, and pick out several points in the corners instead of getting tunnel vision. I understand counter steering, and use it all the time, but maybe its the polish in me that make my head hurt trying explain it to others. I’m really concentrating on my turns / leans and hope to drag a knee before the season is over, hopefully with some help from the members here.

Back to my point on seat position. I really need to know where to sit on this Busa, as I don’t want to get in bad habit or form on this machine. I’m willing to take things slow, and admit I’m learning something new about this bike everyday. Yah, I’m sure the Busa tends to put people forward on the tank if riding it hard, but is this the proper place to sit. Or should I leave an inch or 2 between my rump and the hump, or just plant my self at the very back and try to regain that position anytime I can. I hear sitting to far forward can have some adverse effects while breaking, and not sure how well a guy can hang off the bike and be mobile on the seat if the tank is crammed up to you jewels. I’m 5'11", 210Lbs and 34"waste, with 32" Inseam if this helps.

It is really exciting learning something new and having it work for you. This bike truly amazes me every time I ride it. I think I’ve owned it for 3 weeks now, and have almost logged 2000 flight hours on it.

Well, I honestly think that you're farther ahead in game than a LOT of people.  You've been reading and practicing the right stuff.

It sounds like your primarily focused on proper body positioning while riding the twisties or doing a track day, so I'll give you my input on that.

You should try to keep your body (crotch) about a fist's width away from the tank, but not all the way back to the hump.  This works out to around 2"-3".  This allows you to move from side to side without the tank interfering.  Try to imagine the following...

You are tucked in with your upper body laying on the tank going down a straight.  As you aproach your braking zone, you are going to just take the weight off of you butt (not raised) as you roll your body off the tank, towards the turn, trying to keep your chest pointed at the tank.  When you do this, your butt will move to the inside of bike and your outside knee should come in contact with tank pocket and stop your slide.  Turn your inside foot so that your toes are pointing out from the bike with the ball of your foot almost on the tip of the peg.  This will allow your inside leg to pivot out a LOT easier.  If your positioned well, your outside arm should be able to rest/lay on the tank, and your inside shoulder should be pointed into the turn.

I'm still working on my form, so take the pics for what their worth. Just figured it might help.

Now, for maintaining the "gap" while braking. When you're coming into your braking zone, you need to have both knees gripping the tank as much as possible. This helps prevent you from sliding forward, and takes some stress off of your arms/hands. They make rubberized pads to go on the tank to help keep you from sliding also, but these can get in the way of shifting from side-side.

Now, the tricky part...How do you grip the tank and get your body positioned for the turn all at the same time?

You can't
laugh.gif
You have to compromise each a little bit when starting your transition from braking to turning. As you are coming near the end of your braking area, move your body to the inside of the turn and start getting back into your cornering position. You can still downshift and brake during this, but it takes a LOT of practice. The key is to be smooth so that you don't upset the suspension and give unwanted steering inputs. When you reach your turn-in point, all you should have to do is "smoothly" release the brake pressure and get you upper body into position as you coutersteer and lean into the turn. Now just hold STEADY throttle until the apex of the turn. You might need to adjust the throttle slightly to correct your line, but just be smooth. Once you get to the apex, then start rolling smoothly on the throttle as you let the bike go towards the outside of the turn.

As you near the exit of the turn, keep your body off to the side of the bike, but slowly bring it back to center as your lean angle decreases.

Now, just go fast and repeat this for the next turn.
cool.gif

Hope this was what you were looking for.
wink.gif

stkr00

Your post has given me a lot to think about, and will try to put your advice into function. I think Im going to have to get a mount for my busa, so I can put a little chalk board on there, and write down your instructions, so I can remember and try to perform the steps you have described in such detail.
laugh.gif

Your advice on how to point the toe really makes sense to me, as I was wondering just how the heck to setup, and prop that knee out there. This year Im a little late to sign up for the Brainerd MN Amature track stuff, but plan on registering next year as soon as I can, and plan on making all the MN and Iowa track days I can....Does WI have a track also? If ya have anymore pics on your form, please post...great detailed pictures, and they really help a guy like me out. Thanks again for your response.

stkr00

Your post has given me a lot to think about, and will try to put your advice into function. I think Im going to have to get a mount for my busa, so I can put a little chalk board on there, and write down your instructions, so I can remember and try to perform the steps you have described in such detail.
laugh.gif

Your advice on how to point the toe really makes sense to me, as I was wondering just how the heck to setup, and prop that knee out there. This year Im a little late to sign up for the Brainerd MN Amature track stuff, but plan on registering next year as soon as I can, and plan on making all the MN and Iowa track days I can....Does WI have a track also? If ya have anymore pics on your form, please post...great detailed pictures, and they really help a guy like me out. Thanks again for your response.
valium...

Don't try to change everything at once. Just work on one thing at a time until you're comfortable, consistent, and smooth. Once you get the hang of it, the speed will follow.

If you can't be smooth going slow, then you'll never be smooth going faster.
wink.gif

The track in WI is Road America located in Elkhart Lake. Here's a link to my thread about my last trip. It has links to some other sites, and a video of the track. The video link is a ways down in one of my replies.

That chalkboard idea was funny
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

some good input there stkr... especially the part where in you are braking hard and leaning into a corner!!
biggrin.gif
....Thanks

Back