Need to swap dogbones

IG.

Registered
Ok, ladies and gentlemen. Like a good boy, I did a few searches and found no answer.

Previous owner lowered the bike a bit, but gave me stock links. I want to put them back, but I am not sure how to jack the bike. My available tools would be the swingarm stand, and the floor jack (big one, not the bottle type).

So, how do I proceed? And if you give me torque numbers for both shock bolt and swingarm bolt, that would be great - the picture in the manual is a bit cryptic.

Thaaaanks.

I just did this, though I had mine on a lift, stood up by a front tire vise. Should work the same on your stand. I removed the little wing underneath, and jacked against it's rear mount. Take the lock nuts off, then you'll have to do some playing with the jack to find the spot where the bolts are loose enough to slide out. If the lock nuts on yours are as tight as mine were, you'll need a hand getting them loose. And a big breaker bar (you do have a good set of tools, right?). To make it easier to get the top bolt out once the nut is off and your jack is set, you'll need to slide the inner sleeve out the other side a bit. That helped for me anyway.

I think the torque values were around 56.5 ft/lbs. Check your manual again to verify...

<!--EDIT|LCW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073499275 -->

If you have the typical dogbone with three holes, you can move to the inner most hole which will put the Busa back to stock height. It will save a little extra work.

Well I watched my mechanic do the link swap, he used front and rear stands, removed the wing underneath, put a floor jack underneath a U shaped brace I believe where the wing bolted to, and jacked up on that to where he neede it. But I had to hold onto the front. I also had stock exhaust, so he loosened up the canisters and swung them outward to get to the links from both sides. Hope this helps in some way.

since ur in the subject of dog bones

if i get longer dog bones will i be able to raise the rear so i can get a more neutreal turning radius and more ground clearence??

and if not what dog bones do i need?
longer or shorter?
and can i adujst the stock ones to rasie the rear a inch??

thanks for the advice and thanks for letting me interupt.
g

since ur in the subject of dog bones

if i get longer dog bones will i be able to raise the rear so i can get a more neutreal turning radius and more ground clearence??

and if not what dog bones do i need?
longer or shorter?
and can i adujst the stock ones to rasie the rear a inch??

thanks for the advice and thanks for letting me interupt.
g
Longer goes lower, and no, the stock ones are not adjustable. I think someone makes adjustable ones, but I don't know if they'll adjust shorter to raise the bike.

I just did this, though I had mine on a lift, stood up by a front tire vise.
Should work the same on your stand.
I removed the little wing underneath, and jacked against it's rear mount.
Take the lock nuts off, then you'll have to do some playing with the jack to find the spot where the bolts are loose enough to slide out.
If the lock nuts on yours are as tight as mine were, you'll need a hand getting them loose.
And a big breaker bar (you do have a good set of tools, right?).
To make it easier to get the top bolt out once the nut is off and your jack is set, you'll need to slide the inner sleeve out the other side a bit.
That helped for me anyway.

I think the torque values were around 56.5 ft/lbs.
Check your manual again to verify...
If you are really gonna do work on your bike then I recommend you go to Wal-Mart and buy a powered torque wrench. I pick the kind that plugs in the car/bike cigerette lighter and has 250lbs of torque. It was $19.88 and made life a whole lot

when i try to put my 3 hole adj links to the stock position i cant because the ends of the dogbones touch the suspension on the bike and you can align the holes....i can only adj mine on the first 2 holes....does anyone know why the dogbones are like that....why make the 3rd hole if you cant use it???

WHen my buddy put dogbones on his bike or whenever he needs it jacked up. he takes a long ratchet extension puts it in the hole in the frame. uses two jackstands and raises it up with a floorjack. the jackstands keeps her level and you adjust bones with floor jacks!

when i try to put my 3 hole adj links to the stock position i cant because the ends of the dogbones touch the suspension on the bike and you can align the holes....i can only adj mine on the first 2 holes....does anyone know why the dogbones are like that....why make the 3rd hole if you cant use it???
Unless you have the bones installed up-side down then they should line up fine!

Which side are the three holes facing?

WHen my buddy put dogbones on his bike or whenever he needs it jacked up.  he takes a long ratchet extension puts it in the hole in the frame.  uses two jackstands and raises it up with a floorjack.  the jackstands keeps her level and you adjust bones with floor jacks!
Thanks for all responses.

I like this idea as it lifts the bike and holds it upright reliably at the same time.

I noticed that the swingarm pivot bolt is empty inside. Could I stick a breaker bar, or something else through it and support her with 2 jacks?

Back