Lower Dogbone Bolt.....

Dakkine2

Donating Member
Registered
My buddy got his reaper risers in today along with some lowering dogbones for the rear. So we install the risers and lower the front. No problem. Get to the rear and the lower bolt in the dogbones is siezed up. Nothing we could do could get it to crack loose. This all just a week after trying to get the fairing bolt out from under the seat. I think Suzuki is messing with us. Gonna try the impact gun tommorrow and see how that goes. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

My buddy got his reaper risers in today along with some lowering dogbones for the rear. So we install the risers and lower the front. No problem. Get to the rear and the lower bolt in the dogbones is siezed up. Nothing we could do could get it to crack loose. This all just a week after trying to get the fairing bolt out from under the seat. I think Suzuki is messing with us. Gonna try the impact gun tommorrow and see how that goes. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Yeah, I hurt my hand (bruised bones in my palm) trying to get the lower linkage bolt out to install lowering bones on Train. I've never been as pi$$ed at anything mechanical as I was that bolt that day. I finally got it broke loose with a cheater bar but it was pure Hell. Didn't have an impact driver then but that should help if you have good air pressure and a good driver. Good luck with it though. As I said, that was the toughest bolt I've ever had to break loose...

The look is worth the effort though, and launches are gravy with it lowered like this...
wink.gif

train_001.jpg

If your hittin that bolt with a impact gun, make sure you use a 6 point socket and get it ALL THE WAY on. On my gixxer, the nut was finished in such a way (kinda like a built in washer, formed on the nut) that a 12 point would slip right off and strip it.

Strange design, I ended up strippin it so I had to vice grip the nut side and hitting the bolt head with the impact gun. luckily my local hardware store had an identical nut in stock (same strength, and it had the "built in washer")Hope it doesn't get to that point for ya!

also, 10 or 15 minutes before you go to do it, hit it with some WD or some other lube, you'll be glad you did. Remember that bolt gets covered with water, chain grease, gunk and everything else.

yeah, getting it off mine was a pain in the arse, used some air tools from my neighbor and some super strength elbow grease and finally came off..... one suggestion, make sure you have a floor jack or something holding that sumova beotch up good when you are trying to loosen it.
wink.gif

Chris,
How lowered was your ride? I like it. Doesn't look to be in the weeds.

Don't Turn the bolt!!!!!!!!! It will strip.

Work on the nut. I almost stripped the bolt and then moved to the nut side. The nut came loose pretty easily. I just slid the bolt out still attached to the dogbone and it felt pressed in. I took it to the vise and knocked the bolt out with a hammer.

The bolt fit right in to the sssoupy adjustable lowering links from ebay which I was pretty impressed with. Its great to be able to adjust the height on the bike.

I also did the job without loosening the header or pipe underneath but it took a lot of prying and I don't recomend it.

Chris,
How lowered was your ride? I like it. Doesn't look to be in the weeds.
Approx. 1.5" rear (Middle bone hole) and slammed to the bottom of the suspension travel up front with a Schnitz racing strap. I wouldn't ride on the street with no front suspension travel at all, but it would be ok for drag racing.

mine is frozen, I tried a damn pipe wrench and still no go. I will have to disassemble the whole rear end and put the thing in a vise to get it off.
I have no one to blame because I tightened the new dog bones in the middle hole, tried to loosen it to raise the rear to stock and found out the bolt is ummmmm very tight on there.:angry:

^ He's right, a little air power on the nut and it will pop right off.

and if you have a torque wrench put it back to 56.5 lb-ft

We're gonna try air on it later today. I'm thinking I can just hit the nut side with some short bursts and get it to break loose. I've worked on all my trucks since I was 15 and don't think I've ever come across a bolt (especially a new one) that has given me this much trouble. Will see what happens later. Worst case senario, Drill it out and replace it.

Back