Need to remove front wheel

Thank you Longstone. I tightened the clutch side back up and the axle loosed right up. I am getting a new tire on in the morning.:beerchug:

Hey Longstone.
Someone just posted instructions about this very thing:
Proper Wheel Bearing Install DIY
Excellent write -up.

Here is a copy.
IMO use All Balls Bearings (link in attached doc).
They are sealed both sides (unlike OEM) and excellent quality and very reasonable price.
Good luck!

Attachments

• Wheel Bearing Install.pdf
    281.7 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Hey Longstone.
Someone just posted instructions about this very thing:
Proper Wheel Bearing Install DIY
Excellent write -up.

Here is a copy.
IMO use All Balls Bearings (link in attached doc).
They are sealed both sides (unlike OEM) and excellent quality and very reasonable price.
Good luck!

Mike that's awesome. Thank you very much!

Questions about the install, and keep in mind I'm no mechanic. I can follow instructions via the manual but that doesn't make me a wrencher.

The pdf keeps referring to the "inner race" and "outer race". What are they referring to?

What should I purchase to make that home made tool? it looks like a rod with a piece of wood and a bunch of spacers on it. Is the idea to put the rod through the hold and PULL the bearings in from the opposite side?

Last edited:
The inner race is the round hole that touches the axle.
The outer race is the part of the bearing that touches the wheel.
The inner race turns around inside the outer race.

The piece of wood is for when you do the bearing in the rear cush drive.
The side that has the cush rubbers is a large opening, and I didn't want to mark it.

Yes, the idea is to have a tool that will pull the bearing in from the other side.
The washers or whatever you use should contact the entire bearing surface (both races), as you pull it through.
That is the idea, not to put force on one race or the other, but to pull the whole bearing through at once.
Then when the inner race contacts the spacer, it is in as far as it needs to go, and no loading was put on one race or the other.
My tool is 1/2 inch redi rod, and some mixed washers to stack up to fit, and tighten the nut on the other side and pull them through.
You will need a nut on one end that is solid (welded, Loc Tite red etc) to stop it from turning.
It is easier than it looks.
Hey Good Luck!

PS
Here is a pic of a tool that will drive them out from the other side:
(Pry off the dust seals first, they are useless too - needs new ones)

Bearing Driver.jpg

Last edited:
While cleaning the break rotor, I got break parts cleaner on the paint. It immediately removed a large area of the black paint on the center of my rotor.

My question is rather or not there is any harm in just removing all of the black paint?

Most of the front well stands (i.e., pit bull) don't lift the front end high enough to get the wheel out without removing the front fender. Put a wood block under the stand wheels before lifting and it will give you the clearance you need to get the wheel out without removing the fender.

While cleaning the break rotor, I got break parts cleaner on the paint. It immediately removed a large area of the black paint on the center of my rotor.

My question is rather or not there is any harm in just removing all of the black paint?

I would say no problem, just looks.
If you take them off, you could get them powder coated whatever color suits you, or repaint them.

This method work for a gen2 as well, same tools, sizes? My wife is at work (lowes) im gonna have her get these things before she leaves work, thanks

Ready to mount the wheel back on. I got the rotors mixed up when I was stripping the paint. How do I tell which rotor goes on which side? I'm sure it matters.

I don't think it matters.
They can be on either side.
Same part number either side.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters.
They can be on either side.
Same part number either side.

Well that's great then. I read on the forum when attempting to find the answer on my own (yeah for the search feature) someone put their rear rotor back on and had it hitting the caliper. Someone mentioned flipping it.

I know the front and back of the rotor so that's not a problem just wasn't sure if it needed to be on the same side.

Thanks for the help Mike.

Back