need some ideas

smallestpilot

Registered
I need to remove my front wheel for a week or so to have the rim looked at.
How do i jack up the bike and remove wheel without wheel stands and then keep it from falling over.
Does anyone understand what im trying to say.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

Quick & dirty:

Put a good solid screw eye into a ceiling joist in the garage.  I use a HD steel handle made by Stanley for a tool box.
Take 2 tie downs and hook the long end without the buckle to the screw eye.  Hook the short end with the buckle to the bike's bars.  Evenly, one at at time, pull up on the straps, and Viola, the front end comes off the ground.

I do this in conjunction with a race type center stand for added security, but have done it (with the Busa) all by itself.
Just have a helper there in case things get squirly.

Good luck!

Did this on different bike then hayabusa. Same size and weight tho.

Placing down a few short lengths of 2x6 on the garage floor. In the garage under the exposed cieling 2x8 cieling joists. Positioned boards when driving the front wheel onto one board the other board would be were the kickstand contacts the ground.
Drove the bike's front tire onto the 2x6 and put kick stand down on second board. The front wheel board liked to skip out, cut a 45 degree mini ramp on the board.
Used those nylon rachet straps. Same kind used for tying down loads. Using garage ceiling joists to loop a nylon strap over the top of joist and around the handle bar area(both sides). Made tension taught. This action makes the bike verticle and the kickstand is no longer bearing weight, in fact can put it up.
With more of the nylon straps looped from the rear fairing to above joist. Took the tension out of these straps.
Then pulled the 2x6 out from under the front wheel. result the front tire just clears touching the ground. Took the wheel off.

<!--EDIT|Bronto
Reason for Edit: "more info"|1073602952 -->

I removed fairings used a jack with stands also nylon rope wrapped from handle bars to garage ceiling for xtra security.

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073604960 -->

Pict0046.JPG

Just get every thing loose up front, have some one lift the bike by the forks ( its not that heavy) get two jack stands and a short piece of 2x4 across the stands slide the wheel out then set the forks right on the 2x4. Ive always done it this way, its pretty stable.

I jacked mine up and put my jack stands one under each fork and lowered the bike on it still keeping the jack under it for extra support. The front tire can be removed then.

One word of caution. The bike can be tipped over easily if you use this method and are not careful.

Back