Need some advice

Firstbusa

Registered
I have been looking to buy a new bike and found one local to me. It is bone stock 2012 with only 1700 miles. Owner had many bikes at the same time and this was used less, that is why less miles. Only caveat is lower right faring and stock exhaust has scrapes as it was laid making a a slow right hand turn (slipped on gravel on wet road). I went and looked at the bike today. It is in new condition minus the cosmetic damage. It comes with rear seat cowl and the cover. Negotiated price is $7500. What do you guys think about it? Attached are some pics for reference.
Your help is really appreciated!!

hayabusa1.jpg

hayabusa2.jpg

hayabusa3.jpg

hayabusa4.jpg

hayabusa5.jpg

Looks good. KBB sz the price range is between 6K and 9K so the ‘negotiated’ price seems ok. Keep in mind that regardless of the mileage, everything on it is around six and a half years old. Good luck!

That is 3 pieces of fairing that be needing attention , to get it back to close to immaculate . I have exactly the same scuffed panels , same side and year and all still sitting on top of my cupboard ( 4 years at least ) , and I replaced the top fairing and complete right fairing . If you can , get a rough quote for repair by photo from shop , or a full factory replacement quote like I did for cash . Not cheap to replace factory way , you would want to show the seller why you want to get the bike cheaper if your armed with these facts . Good luck mate .

That is 3 pieces of fairing that be needing attention , to get it back to close to immaculate . I have exactly the same scuffed panels , same side and year and all still sitting on top of my cupboard ( 4 years at least ) , and I replaced the top fairing and complete right fairing . If you can , get a rough quote for repair by photo from shop , or a full factory replacement quote like I did for cash . Not cheap to replace factory way , you would want to show the seller why you want to get the bike cheaper if your armed with these facts . Good luck mate .
EXACTLY... everyone gets all giddy at the purchase price... and figures the plastics will be a few hundred bucks...… WRONG

I think that is too much for that much plastic to replace plus the stock exhaust. ( unless you prefer stock)
I am looking myself here in the Phoenix metro area and quickly passed on that one.

All of that damage looks superficial at best, though the picture angles dont show depth. May be able to take care of it all with sanding and repaint. Is any of the bodywork broken or is it all scuffed up?

As for the bike, it's a 2012 with 1700 miles for less than what I paid for my 2011 with more miles. I'd jump on it and worry about the bodywork later.

As for exhaust, I have Yoshi full carbon slip ons for sale in the classifieds and will negotiate the price.

Keep in mind the right front rotor may be bent. I had this happen on left side, and the rotor / carrier was slightly bent. My cause for tip over was no road, but aftermarket handle bars contacted mirror locking hand under mirror. Was a bad day @ 1700 in damage for a walking speed tip over.

Miles are no issue, and I would consider buying this bike over a clean 30,000 mile bike with unknown historical information of services performed.

Be patient seller may reach out with a distress sale if no other buyers are interested in near future.

Never beat a seller up on their stuff your just pissing them off inside. Wait them out ;)

Agreed, PASS. You can find a slightly older bike with slightly more miles for a lot less. These bikes are bulletproof. I wouldn't worry about mileage until you got to around 90K. Get one with no damage.

I bought one last year with low milage (2000km) and damage from a driveway tip over for 6k. fairing and nose needed repainting but my buddy is a body guy so got the prep work done for free, still 500 cash deal for the paint and another around 200 for the decals. Would have been closer to 1500-2000 to just take it in and have it done or about 1300 Canadian for new parts. Wouldn't have been worth it and even at the price I paid it was barely worth it but the low milage made it the one to buy in my mind. Mind you, there isn't alot available in my part of the world.

I guess it depends on what busas are going for in your area. You can’t find a gen2 where I’m at for less than $7k, no matter year or mileage. I would do like others have mentioned and buy it if scratches can be sanded and repainted. Keep in mind that decals are about $80 dollars for the side panels and if the tip over was hard enough that it requires new fairings, you might end up needed the nose fairing stay if it’s tweaked/bent.

All of that damage looks superficial at best, though the picture angles dont show depth. May be able to take care of it all with sanding and repaint. Is any of the bodywork broken or is it all scuffed up?

As for the bike, it's a 2012 with 1700 miles for less than what I paid for my 2011 with more miles. I'd jump on it and worry about the bodywork later.

As for exhaust, I have Yoshi full carbon slip ons for sale in the classifieds and will negotiate the price.

When i looked at the bike the faring is damaged but not broken. and I think the major hit is by the allen screw. it took major rash. i don't know if that faring is even salvageable.

Keep in mind the right front rotor may be bent. I had this happen on left side, and the rotor / carrier was slightly bent. My cause for tip over was no road, but aftermarket handle bars contacted mirror locking hand under mirror. Was a bad day @ 1700 in damage for a walking speed tip over.

Miles are no issue, and I would consider buying this bike over a clean 30,000 mile bike with unknown historical information of services performed.

Be patient seller may reach out with a distress sale if no other buyers are interested in near future.

Never beat a seller up on their stuff your just pissing them off inside. Wait them out ;)

I did take it for a drive and had no pulsating in the brake lever. I think the might not be the case then.

Back