Need some advice on Welding

The man simply asked for some advice on welding............

A few of us gave him what advice we thought would be helpful with what he has..........

Others seem to want to dis the man for what he has.............. He is starting out. He wants to learn something. Bravo.........At least he is willing to leanr to do his own thing,and help out his kids at the same time. He might find that he doesn't like,or want to weld.

You guys are correct.........Gas is much better to weld with..........If you are INSIDE. Want to show me your technique outside in the wind?

Flux core is fine for a beginner.it is perfect for a starter.
Thrasher,do your thing. Myself,and the others that gave positive advice know your welder is more of a hobby welder.
We all have to start somewhere..............

Hoa....slow down dude......he knows us well.....I'm pretty sure he's not offended.....we're just tryin to help.

Oh yeah.....wind trouble put up a makeshift wall or shroud around yer work area......done it a million times...... or stickweld it!!

Nope.. no offense taken. As I said. my dad told my straight up when Mig welding it is best to use gas and he said if I wanted to weld anything other than steel such as aluminum I would HAVE to use gas.

And I never (well at least I don’t think I do lol) get upset at anyone for speaking the truth

Thanks Saberknight for looking out for me.. its all good though no worries…

Shave-Her-at-night..... yer wife....or as you hardley folk like to refer to 'em.....yer bidge .

Why dont you actualy stop an' read....

just for a second..... stop an' read.....

Thrasher has lots of friends on this site.....we want whats best for him....

you seem more interested in bitching at us .

Why not just go an' #### off.

Ron has been around . So has.... an'.... an'.....all of us...

So now you've decided to step up an' be Thrasher's friend.

Thrasher dont need savin'........

Send Thrash an' email....if he wants to be yer "helped one".... great . Nobody will say a thing after that....

thing is, yer reachin', yer diggin'......

problem is [for you] there's nuthin' to reach for, nuthin' to dig.....

crawl back in yer hole.....B4 ya get hurt.....

LISTEN UP BOY : Welding thread. Best advise was givin' . From Ron's posse' . You can step up....its just too late,and unwarranted.

you should try again thou....

STUPIDITY seems to be yer dominant gene .

I'm not sure if this has been said enough so I'll repeat it.

The flux core is marginal at best.  I have always felt that you would wind up with inclusions (Pockets of flux) in the weld.  

RSD is right (Bout the splatter, not save-the-night)  The splatter is shiddy, the weld is weak, get the bottle man!

75-25 gas (also called stargon) is best for steel.

TIG is Tungsten Inert Gas, it is usually for aluminum and stainless but can be used for steel.  In this case there is a tungsten electrode that stikes an arc with the base metal which provides the heat. The tungsten electrode is not consumed but does wear.  A shield gas (usually argon) is used to keep the molten metal clean and from oxidixing and burning away.  A filler rod of base material is used to add to the molten puddle.  This technique can be used without a filler rod as well.

Stainless is really easy to weld.  It dosen't even need to be clean, welds like a dream.

Aluminum is the metal from hell.  Needs to be cleaned with a stainless steel brush that has never (read as never ever!) been used on any other metal.  Needs to be cleaned with ethanol.  Needs to be clean, needs to be really clean.  (did I mention it needs to be really really clean?)
Welding it sucks as there is no color change.  It just turns molten and then falls through.  Takes mad skills to TIG weld it.  There is a wire feed aluminum welder (Needs a puller gun rather than a pusher) but I have never used one.

My students are getting out of hand, got to go teach.

Keep askin questions!

Mikey

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: "cause I started spellin like RSD!"|1093369934 -->

Man this is good stuff, nice work RSD. BUT... This Yuppie assed MIG shid has to stop. All Fru Fru and fancy.
wow.gif
FIRST learn how to weld with a Torch and a couple pieces of steel. Learn how to get them to bond permanantly without Rosin, Gas, Wire, Or 220V. Then Get fancy... Add a wire to the operation. YEP a torch and some wire and your hood...
wink.gif
You have coat hangers around?
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Use Oxy-Map, it's cleaner and safer than Acetlyne with near the same temps.

Good luck man. When you want to learn how to set a gemstone, or solder Gold or silver let me know.
laugh.gif

From what I have heard though MIG is about the easiest way to get a good strong weld... It's simply better.

laugh.gif

Man this is good stuff, nice work RSD.  BUT...  This Yuppie assed MIG shid has to stop.  All Fru Fru and fancy.  
wow.gif
  FIRST learn how to weld with a Torch and a couple pieces of steel.  Learn how to get them to bond permanantly without Rosin, Gas, Wire, Or 220V.  Then Get fancy...  Add a wire to the operation.  YEP a torch and some wire and your hood...
wink.gif
You have coat hangers around?
rock.gif

laugh.gif

Use Oxy-Map, it's cleaner and safer than Acetlyne with near the same temps.

Good luck man. When you want to learn how to set a gemstone, or solder Gold or silver let me know.  
laugh.gif

From what I have heard though MIG is about the easiest way to get a good strong weld...  It's simply better.
OK here's the deal.

SMAC - Shielded Metal Arc Welding - you know it as stick welding. Ya want anything to be really strong, this is the way to do it. MIG is for light weight stuff, 1/8" or less.

Also, there is very little oxy Acetelyne welding going on today. Yes, you can still do it, but it is infrequent. That is not to say I don't have coat hanger welding rod holding a BUNCH of stuff together in my garage.

More later.

laugh.gif

It aint around because the REAL Artisians are Ded... No skill left in MIG
wow.gif
wow.gif
laugh.gif

Nah Man, I learned how to Arc weld as a kid. But I love open flame and a torch. You apply the right heat to anything allmost and it'll bond...
smile.gif
Hold still Fugger....

wow.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Oh damn thats funny... But it does bring up an interesting point... There are some seriously badass adhesives out there today. If I were building a go cart I think I might at least consider the Aluminum Honeycomb and sheet bonded together... Yeah, a Monocoque chasis... On a go cart... Cool. Powered by a GSXR750 motor!

I should have my Oxy Map setup all put together and ready to go within the next month or so.. Then I think I will make me some Furniture.

laugh.gif

ok The Good thing is most of these posts I have read are true, right on in fact. I want to take this change to TELL EVERYONE NOT TO BUY A MIG WELDER FROM WALMART LOWES, WHAT EVER, GO TO AN ACTUAL WELDING STORE. I hate for people to come in here with the crap they bought, try to get a LINCOLN OR A MILLER, these are the best welders I kind of lean more towards the lincoln any more because there just better right now, don't buy the 110 lincolns from walmart or anything as I stated before, the parts aren't near as good, YOU CAN WELD 1/4 EASY just bevel the metal your welding into a V and make a stiching motion back and forth, keep the wire in the edge of the puddle and you will have a great looking and more importantly a strong weld this way.

I know what I'm talking about, I'm sitting in a welding store right now that my dad owns and he taught me everythings. I'm impressed with the knowledge you guys have, I'm of course there are some welders on this board, but there are people that say there welders when they only know how to glue and then theres welders.

2 cents

Objects_no_longer_matter.jpg

Hmmm.... All good advice. So I'll stick to giving out the advice I usually give.
Basic, simple stuff.
Remember welding is like hammerin'... make sure you keep yer fingers, toes & thumbs outa the way!

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1038"|1094002445 -->

it was dead.....( 4 days ) now its back.

this thread has more power than Christ.....

that fug was only dead for three days.....

hav a rechewed,re-fried,re-cycled..... 1 . RSD.

Well dayum.. that makes me God! <LOL>

That outa scare the bejesus outa the religious nuts on the board.
wow.gif

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1044"|1094089617 -->

Back