Need Mr Turbo Fuel Pump and Regulator Specs

65Cobra

Registered
I have a Mr Turbo Rajay FF40 setup on my 99 Busa that I purchased back in 2000. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator that were furnished with that kit. Anyone know who makes it, etc? Thanks.

Is it a rising rate regulator? Mine is a begi. The prior owner also switched fuel pumps to an external unit. It's a bosch. As I understand it there are two models that are commonly used. One flows more than the other and that's the one I have.

I'm assuming it is a rising rate regulator since it uses a vacuum line. It's a standalone unit since the regulator and fuel pump from Mr Turbo replaced the stock items. BTW, it looks nothing like a BEGI unit. I contacted Richard of RCC Turbos who said the BEGI rising rate regulator is only good for up to 10 psi of boost. Any more boost and he recommended using 4 extra injectors in the plenum, a 1:1 regulator and a secondary fuel controller for the injectors.

My problem is, I have no specs on either the regulator or pump from Mr Turbo so I have no clue how reliable they are. I don't know the max pressure and volume of the pump, nor do I know what the rate of gain of the regulator is, or if it can be adjusted (I don't think it can).

At this point I need to remove both items and check them for any numbers to see if I can find out who manufactured them. I'll post pictures later.

Hey Cobra you may need to contact Mr Turbo, I don't think his setup uses a rising rate regulator. his system uses a 1 to 1 reg. fuel pres rises 1psi per pound of boost over base pres,usual 43psi thats why his maps are so differant than everybody elses most others use riseing rate reg. I personaly don't see how his deal can run more than 3-4psi boost with the 1-1 regulator the power comander can't make that much up I geuss thats why his setups use his maps and fuel pres settings

Can't contact Mr Turbo, long story but he and I had it out big time. Although you're probably right and it is a 1:1 regulator, it's probably still a rising rate regulator because it has a vacuum connection. The problem is that it only increases fuel pressure 1 psi for each 1 psi of boost, which is apparently insufficient. I plan to replace this regulator but since I have no idea who manufactured it, I'd still like to verify it is a 1:1 regulator without having to run the bike.

The BEGI regulator seems to come up a lot but they're not recommended for more than 10 psi boost, although I don't see myself with more boost than that. I checked their site and it seems like their 2035 Multi Role Regulator would accomplish what I need.

That leaves me with the fuel pump. I have to remove it in order to find out more about it. Replacing the regulator isn't going to help if the pump can't handle the load. I'd sure like to know who makes it.

Additional comments welcome. Thanks.

I know a number of people that have used the begi's to make over 300 hp. I think that would put them at at least 18lbs of boost, which is what I was running before I got my new system. I know for sure of two guys that were using the begi and making 340 and 380 respectively. I'll look for the fuel pump model in a bit and get back to you.

humm, what happened with mr. turbo? I would maybe try smithers customs
beerchug.gif
, he might be able to help you out.

Bosch 044 is a pump I keep seeing in turbo applications. I think it's what is in my bike. I know it is a pump that more than meet your fueling needs. Regarding your old turbo: What are you getting rid of? Just the intake wheel? Intake and shaft? Let me know. My old Rajay broke it's shaft and gernaded. I have the entire system minus the turbo and I'd love to find a replacement.

kawiboy11... I've had issues with Terry for a while now but he and I had it out for the last time when he mislead me about his almighty oil scavange pump. I've wasted more money listening to him, but it will never happen again. On 7/31/2006 I posted the oil pump issue on this forum in case you want to read it.

turbojonn... I'll keep you in mind. I haven't changed anything yet but in the spring I'll be replacing the intake housing and impeller... I'm assuming the shaft is fine. I'll be going from an "F" to an "E". At that point I'll want to hold onto them for a while until I'm sure everything is working properly. I'll check with you then to see if you're still interested.

Tonight I removed the original Mr Turbo regulator and tracked it down. It came from Kinsler Fuel Injectors Inc (www.kinsler.com) who has a nice online catalog that you can download. The regulator is a Bosch 237 (Bosch #0 280 160 237) (Kinsler #10702) mounted on a Kinsler Saddle Adapter (Kinsler #10751). The Bosch regulator is a BAR 3.0 which is 44 psi. It doesn't specify it's rising rate but now I have no doubt it's 1:1 per the above posts. I'm going to try and post a picture so hopefully this will work. Later this week I'm going to do the same with the fuel pump.

Mr_Turbo_Fuel_Pressure_Regulator_007a.jpg

I contacted Kinsler Inc who acknowledged they did furnish the above 1:1 regulator to Mr Turbo, along with other parts over the years. The 1:1 rate regulator is frequently frowned upon, saying it is unable to furnish sufficent fuel under boost. Seems like we need in the vicinity of a 6:1 rising rate, with the BEGi rising rate regulator frequently mentioned on forums. What I don't understand is when I look at Fuel Pressure Regulators from high end companies like Aeromotive that support 1,000 HP and more, all their regulators are a 1:1 rate, so what is it that requires us to use a rising rate regulator? I'm assuming it has to do with the capability of the stock injectors, but not sure. And if we need a rising rate then how can someone like Mr Turbo get away with included a 1:1 rate regulator in his kits?

Back