need ideas

dewie

Registered
with lots of help I built my bike and had to come up with a lot of different idea to make things work for function and comfort.. I am a downed rider now paraplegic, the only thing I'm having problems with is my tank bag. I have a huge tank bag that I lay my chest against to save my arms while riding. The tank bag slides up and all over while riding. I added more of those super strong magnets and that didn't help. So I got a tank bra and glued Velcro on the bra and bottom side of the tank bag. So they line up and it does work for short rides. But the bra slides up and when its hot the glue melts and it runs and gets all over.. I took it to a sewing place to sew the Velcro on but the material is to thick to sew

Any body have a idea on how I can do this? I've seen the bagster ones but they sit up to straight, I need the bag to hit my belly pretty much..

DSC01512.jpg

I would send pashnit a pm and see what he could do for you. He would probably know better than anyone since he tries out a lot of different bag systems. Good luck man and keep riding. Post more pics I love seeing them

Wouldn't the Bagster still be a good starting point?
It would give you a secure surface to start with.
You could change how it's bag mounts, or use a different bag on it.
The straps could be sewn on to a different location, and more straps added if needed.

It the bra was taken to a leather person maybe he can sew on a pad onto the bra.... No more tank bag just built in comfort? (And if ya like the bag for storage use it more upright)

Dewie - I'm a big fan of the Bagster. I have them on both of my Busas. I also lay down on the tank when I ride .

There are quite a few different tank bags for the bagster. Big, small. I have two. The Bagster cover does not move, nor does the tankbag.
Some pics maybe? The reason it's so flattened out is I'm laying down on it all day.

9769602326_7391487419_o.jpg

Flattened out in back, is that what your're thinking? Works great for me. Just got back from 1700 Mile ride in 36 hours.

9769395292_8814a4a1af_o.jpg

My other is called the City X bag. Small, but this photo, you can see the angle. I can lean in on the tank and lay down on the bag.

9575176542_74d18b54c1_o.jpg

9330732663_e10151ede6_o.jpg

Try the Bagster site ( RideAddict.com ) , to see various bag shapes and sizes.

plus on one the taking it to a leather person. being in alberta there should be one or two of those

A piece of firm seat foam cut to fit(electric knife), covered, then attached to a Bagster with custom sewn straps?
Basically, a pad that could be installed/removed with quick release straps.

yeah I have nothing against Bagster but they sit right on top of the tank, over the fill cap. I need it to be lower and a lot taller. I took a pic of what I currently use, a tall Joe Rocket bag and on top is a soft foam roll to rest my head. Once I'm on it it's comfy until it starts moving around. But being able bodied and having a limp noodle for trunk control are two different things, I need it facing down low.
And sewing the tank bra isn't a issue its sewing the thick rubber type **** under the tank bag.

A buddy suggested making something from a air bladder so I could adjust it. when I'm putting along I sit upright and when I want to get my head out of the wind and into a "tuck" I could let the air out and sink down into it. But that is way to indepth for me to do

GetAttachment[1] (14).jpg

yeah I have nothing against Bagster but they sit right on top of the tank, over the fill cap. I need it to be lower and a lot taller. I took a pic of what I currently use, a tall Joe Rocket bag and on top is a soft foam roll to rest my head. Once I'm on it it's comfy until it starts moving around. But being able bodied and having a limp noodle for trunk control are two different things, I need it facing down low.
And sewing the tank bra isn't a issue its sewing the thick rubber type **** under the tank bag.

A buddy suggested making something from a air bladder so I could adjust it. when I'm putting along I sit upright and when I want to get my head out of the wind and into a "tuck" I could let the air out and sink down into it. But that is way to indepth for me to do

The air bladder is a great idea, and I don't think it would be difficult at all.
Pashnit sells a small air compressor for roadside tire inflation. I have one, it works great.
It easily fits in the trunk space of the bike. It also would inflate an air bladder in a short amount of time.
How about seat foam on a frame mounted in front of the driver's seat(forget the tank bag and Bagster). A pocket could be cut out of the foam for an air bladder, then cover it with some kind of seat material. A frame could be mounted in several locations.
You would basically have what looks like a small backrest from a car seat where you have your tank bags and pads stacked now.
The top and part against your body could inflate/deflate some, and it would curve over the top and around the sides of the tank(leaving access to the gas cap).

How about a bar on each side of the frame that attach near the front of the seat. A piece of nylon or canvas type material roughly a foot tall spread between the bars. That material hitting you just below the chest down to your stomach.
Like sitting in a folding camping chair backwards(if that makes sense).
A pneumatic actuator could take the bars from a vertical position, to lowering down towards the front of the bike, thus lowering you down to the tank. Basically a sling to hold you upright, but allow you to lean forward all the way down to the tank, or anywhere in between.
Even the frame could be drilled and tapped for the mounts/pivot points without damaging it's structural integrity.
We need the power of the org to get the right people in touch with you.
You have overcome too much for a snag like this to slow you down.

A industrial seamstress or a horse saddle place should be able to do what you want with what you have

I also like laying on a bag on the tank and had problems with it moving up so I attached luggage straps on the pivot of the tank ...under the seat ...works great then if you need to pull the bag off unclip and go ...and you can adjust if needed ...the luggage strap I am referring to is the adjustable with a snap on clip ...they don't need to hold a lot of weight since your just laying on the bag not hanging from it ...and since you have a bra that will keep the clips from damaging the tank :)

but that's what worked for me when I went to Canada over 3000 miles in ten days was perfect no back pains or tired hands

If nothing else it could be hand sewn. Best of luck brother. Please let us know the end result.

Thanks for kicking this idea around with me. I don't mind the air bag idea but making the bladder to the exact size I wouldn't know where to start with that. And something that will be out of the way from the gas cap and easy to remove if I wanted to.

Even the sling idea is similar but to run a pneumatic actuator I need to pack compresses air with me.

I like the luggage bag idea. I could mount them on the left and right side and have two that go back and under the seat and have them bolted down under there. That's probable the easiest and cheapest way to start. I might have to join a sewing club to freashen up my skills lol. Thanks for the ideas, some stuff is easy to figure out other stuff it's nice to have a outside opinion.

Thanks fellas.

Back