Need HELP bike won't start

DR1300R

Keep On Trucking
Donating Member
Registered
Got the busa out today rode her around stop and started no problems several times.. rode about 40 miles stopped and started again with no problems.. left and rode about 30 miles stopped to eat came out about a hour later and it wouldn't start.
sad.gif
Just turns over but no start ..
rock.gif

Going to go pick it up with the trailer..

Any ideas on what to check.. 2000 model BTW

Does it crank over fast? if so do you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key on?

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 23 2007,21:52) Does it crank over fast? if so do you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key on?
yes and yes..

Check the kill switch, make sure its in run position.

Check fuel level...

It just might be something really simple that got overlooked.

(Charlesbusa @ Mar. 23 2007,22:53) Check the kill switch, make sure its in run position.

Check fuel level...

It just might be something really simple that got overlooked.
umm....it wouldn't turn over if the switch was off.
all_coholic.gif

if the motor is turning....there are only two thing to look for.
fuel and spark.

given the age...I would say fuel pump.

Look at the obvious stuff first....

fuel in the tank...look in the cap, dont trust the gauge

By no means am I insulting your intelligence........................I've cranked on bikes for days, just to realize that I used more fuel than I thought

DD

Dang, Doyle! I wish I were closer, I'd help ya figure it out. Fuel and Spark is what I would look for.

Weak fuel pump see if it starts after it cools off over night!
Another thing to check for is leaking injectors, My trucks injectors would leak after shut down and if I tried to start it within an hour or two it would just crank forever (flooded) if I let it sit over night it would fire right up! Try starting the bike while holding throttle wide open, if its flooded this will help.
Good luck!

Did all the all the above, and yes to the manual I do have it.. Going to pic it up now.. we are on line with the laptop..

If you go to the electrical section you'll come across a large troubleshooting section. 05 seems to have some good advise as well. I was trying to see if there was one common problem and it seemed like fuel pump and CPU. Each cylinder is independent as far as fuel and fire with those exceptions. But just remember I don't know shid.

If you hear the fule pump go when turn the key then check plugs my kawa did the same thing and it turn out to be plugs. you might try that.
rock.gif

Aren't 2000's notorious for the fuel filter getting clogged?

Could you have gotten some bad gas at a recent fuel up?

good thread my 04 with 28,000 plus has been hard to start when its cold twice now and has never done this before

when shes warm it starts right up just did all the maintance to so im curious to see what the outcome is on your problem
lurk.gif

Any chance at all the battery needs to be charged or replaced?

I just got a call from GSXtacy - he and Doyle (DR1300R) went and picked up the bike with the trailer - it fired right up! So now the fun part - where to start troubleshooting!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Got the bike back home. Doyle said it hesistated for a sec one time on the way home. Ran strong other than that. We are changing the fuel tank now (he just bought another one with the internals intact. What is the best way to pull the fuel filter? I think we would have been better off if the bike didnt fire, then we would have known if the problem is fixed........

Also, the pump was much louder when it primed when it wouldnt fire. Not so loud when it did. We let the bike run itself out of fuel and the pump made the same loud sound when it didnt fire. Hense, we think there was an issue with the fuel supply before the pump. Are we thinking right here?

Back