Need Advice for Aftermarket exhaust installation

OB_OkcBusa

Registered
I have purchased a Micron Carbon round 4-2-1 exhaust system as well as a Power Commander.
The installation was time consuming, but relatively easy. I have been plagued with a leak on #3 up at the port hole. I didn't change the original gaskets (Haven't found anybody with new ones). Has any body else had similair problems...Any fixes other than new gaskets. Micron suggest turning the gaskets over and "cleaning them up w/ 600 grit sand paper. Has anybody tried this? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I am having Busa Withdrawals!

Tried turning them around and sanded them down...they still leak but not as bad. Read the Micron and Yosh compared and you`ll get a good idea where you`re at.Have had cranking problems with my commander but I have not had time to check TPS yet which may be the problem.. I hope that is it because it left me stranded already. The commander seems to really put the zip into the bike much better than the yosh equipped bike but at least it didn`t leave me sitting at a gas station for a couple hours.

CBX--you need to check. Give me call if you need to.
I never had the "cranking" problem. But, I think I have tuned the map to best point yet.
The bike begins pulling at 1500rpm, no lag.

Finally will Dyno again Next Thursday.

Okc Busa--I just received my 4 gaskets from the dealer and they also told me gel seat is leaving Friday, miracles do happen.

Anyway, seeing that your a fellow Busa Owner. I might just send you a gasket or two if you promise to replace them. I have the full Micron System, but my leak was very minor after snugging the bolts up. Now I can't hear it. But, I do want them back.

tell me where to send them and how. If you have a ups acct# through work or fed Ex you could have them by Friday.

if you would rather e-mail me --ramair1@flash.net

Bob

Found two things causing the exhaust leaks, Micron knows about them both. The first was the exhaust gaskets leaking as you know. The second was a considerable gap between the flange that is welded to the head pipe and the head pipe itself.

I made no less than four attempts to mount the pipes without quieting the leak in any. What I ended up doing was replacing the gaskets even though they looked to be fine shape (I tried reversing too) and filling the gap I mentioned earlier with JBWeld in each pipe just to be sure it was not part of the problem.

Regarding the gaskets, I only had 1000 miles on the bike and I have reused gaskets on may other bikes that looked far worse than these so I am thinking their head pipes do not sit exactly square to the head. I had some considerable problems with mounting but once all my knuckles healed and the shouting stopped I'm diggin the pipe and the PC2 combo, tons more HP than any combo like this I've ever put together for ANY bike.

My suggestion on the gaskets? - if Suzuki doesn't have them and you're in a pinch go to the local Yamaha dealer and get them to match them up off what they stock. I don't have the part number but there is a Yamaha equiv in abundance at most dealers to those thick Busa exhaust gaskets, that's what I am using.

Every time I had the pipe off I called Micron to bitch and moan so they are well aware of their issues BUT, to quote Paul at Micron, they do not consider a complaint a concern unless at least two people call in. I know it's a huge pain but you should give them a call so they can start taking a count on all the customers having problems with this pipe and get them fixed for future buyers. They'll probably send you new hardware too, they did for me....and they seemed real reasonable and friendly and easy to deal with.

Rob

yes the micron leaked a little. If you tightened the head pipes after everyting else was fitted and still loose you should be able to stop the leak. At least mine did. The problem in my opinion also has to do with the flanges being too thin. Micron provided me thicker flanges which will help.
I don't know about yours, but my flanges (origianl thin ones) bent when tightening them up.

Yes, I modified the Micron 003 map. Primarily below 3000 rpm. I seemed to have a lack of response when crusiing at 2000-2500 rpm. I leaned it out some more and it helped.

I still have not been back on the Dyno. A date is set for 8/26. I will try map changes to upper rpm's then.
robh--check your e-mail
Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 19 August 1999).]

Back