Micron and Yosh compared

OB_cbxchris

Registered
Have just finished installing a micron on busa with carbon can. Have a yosh stainless duplex with aluminum can on other busa. Micron bike has commander programmed by dyno-jet for micron and the yosh bike has the airbox modified and remapped +5 +5 +5. No dyno runs yet due to not wanting to put micron kitted bike on dyno yet due to not enough miles on engine for that type of thing.From seat of pants..the micron bike would kill the yosh bike..but this is not verified.Fit and finish....with 10 being perfect..Yosh...9.5 micron...6..comparison of two pipes constuction..yosh pipe is welded together head pipes with spicots(springs at head pipe)nice stainless spicots and stainless bolts)...by welded together I mean collector and pipes one piece..one small connector tube to can and thats it..yosh has bracket to bolt and support pipes underneath frame same as stock..the finish was highly polished and the fit was perfect...sounded great with packing out of can....no exhaust leaks and used old exhaust gaskets due to back order on them...instuctions were spot on...The Micron... this pipe comes in 7 pieces...4 head pipes ..collector..connector pipe to can and can...this pipe is not welded together anywhere but at collector...the head pipes install at head same as stock with very thin plates on head pipes that head bolts go through which bend instantly...stock head bolts are used...pipe went together fairly well...springs are used at collector and at can and connector pipe...clamp(very nice) used at can and connector pipe also.this pipe is NOT a highly polished finish(I polished mine)..the carbon can and stainless strap is beautiful. the micron hit the frame in two places under my frame..no matter how I turned it..at the bracket that held stock pipes and at lower rear cowling support...it does NOT have a support strap underneath like yosh. The micron had minor exhaust leaks at head pipes(NO new Gaskets) and around the collector...the fit on the can was fair at best....the micron came with fair instructions...the oil coller must be shimmed out..all hardware for this was there...fan shroud bracket must be ground off with die grinder and side of stock oil line ground a little to clear bolt in shroud(not in instuctions)..right side oil line is now tight as hell due to oil cooler being moved out...the micron with packing sounds great..much better than yosh with packing...

Let me finish...sorry for being so long winded..the micron is tucked up underneath at oil pan better and did not wiegh but felt lighter...both pipes when on bikes look great..its up to the buyer...but I wish I had a post to read like this before buying..will not recommend one over other...its for you to decide .. sorry for long post...just wanted to tell it like it was..will give dyno #`s soon...later guys!!!

CBX--my exhaust gaskets arrived yesterday, two sets. I also bitched about the thin head pipe flanges to Micron and they gave me a set of thicker flanges so they don't bend. I also had a very small exhaust leak at the head pipe when first installed, but it as gone away. Make sure your oil line isn't touching the radiator bracket. I used a counter sunk 6mm screw in place of the stock hex head to hold the lower fan bracket in place. I can send you a digital picture if you like.
AND the Big news. I got a call last night to head to the DYNO. Thats the good news, the bad is I only got one run in and we had to stop due to a family issue (my dyno man had to go to his parents house-father was not feeling well)
168 rwhp--with power commander map.003, slightly modified. I will try other settings when I get back to the garage and make sense of the curve. My bike has 1700 MI.
Bob

you gotta do more than one..you wont beable to use any info until about the 3rd or 4th run..i know you know that but this is more for the other guy's.

Bob I did same thing on bolt in radiator shroud....I recieved very nice mail from micron stating what they could do to make thier pipe better...I applaud them for taking time to respond and I do think they have a fine pipe...I just wanted everyone to know the differences in construction and final results of the two pipes. Bob keep me informed as to dyno runs and changes in commander. I noticed that the yosh programmed bike is smoother but like I said the micron bike feels like it would kill the yosh bike in race...look forward to your results!

Bob, the BMC filter is finally here part# BMC-1064

Too bad you didn't get a chance to run it on the dyno stock then you could compare your new findings against stock.

Yoshimura and Factory Pro both import them.
Yosh is allready on backorder again (first shipment come and gone)
Factory Pro ? try them they might have them in stock.

Suggestion: when you hear about parts that will be available for the busa, call and get put on a list that way you don't have to wait forever.

I know I need more than one run, thats why it was frustrating we had to get off. Again, we are doing this after hours.
I wish I would have done a stock run for comparison purposes, but I did not. He has Dynoed other Busa's --2 were stock. they produced 152 hp (2500 mi), and 156 hp (about 3000 mi)I will only be able to compare with/without power Commander, and different settings.
Whats the latest on the K&N filter?

We couldn't do it yesterday, and I am leaving town on Monday for few. So probably won't have anything til next weekend now.
Bob

Bob, when you get back will you please mail me and give me your mail address and phone #....I want to talk to you about the maps in the commander. I need to do some tinkering with mine down low and want to talk to you first. Thanks!!! cbxchris@northstate.net

Back