Micron installation

OB_robh

Registered
Well I finally got my Micron from the local shop of choice, and after *only* three attempts it's on. From the numbers I've seen and the availability it was the obvious choice and I'm quite happy but I'm real curious how many problems y'all had putting yours on. I had exhaust leaks up the ying-yang until I packed the gaps around the flanges with sealant and am a bit concerned with how close the collector pipes run to the fairing, despite the heat tape. Oh, and the most annoying - no matter how I twist it my tailpipe doesn't exactly allow the muffler a snug fit up toward the swingarm, I could see it coming in another 2-3 inches easily and still have tons of clearance.

sigh...

BTW, I'm running a Pro Bike drag racing series up here (Bandimere's @5800 ft) with a 1425cc car tire'd bike and am preping the 'bus to beat the old bike into the ground. I'll let you know how it goes and what I've done when I get there. There is an annual motorcycle race a month away and I'm going after the fastest street bike using a reasonably stock gixxe'r (Micron, PC2, gears, bars, and slammed). I've won it before so I know what it takes and the husabusa is more than capable.

Frank,

I've just broke it in (1000 miles) so it's still fairly fresh and tight but this winter I'm going to start seeing just how far I can go, but keeping with the sock internals. For the Sept 26 motorcycle drags I refered to at Bandimere the goal is high 9's (remember, 5800 feet) which would have won over a fairly large 1100cc+ street class last year. What I'm doing to prep the bike is the Micron, a PC2 was just ordered today, a 16t sprocket, the lowering link I already have, and lowering the forks internally. I've got quite a bit of experience leaving hard with short wheelbase bikes and I'm betting I can get good 60 foot times with it lowered and 140+ mph making high 9's real easy. I've got some bars off the drag bike that I'll adapt if I can't get the launches since the class does allow bars "for safety" but I don't think I'll use them. The only problem I see with my plan thus far is the instability of that clutch.

This winter I'm gonna start laying down some dyno runs and really seeing what I can do with the (again) *stock* internals. I really am tempted to just tweak and tweak and get bazillions of horespower out of this thing but I really enjoy the wide usability and reliability. I might decide to go inside later so don't lose heart, but for now I already have a pro-street bike that isn't good for anything but shows and cuises and though I very much appreciate those bikes I don't need two. (Unless I sell one????hmmmmm)

Rob

BTW,
I spoke with Paul at Micron today regarding what I felt was an excessive amount of clearance between the Muffler and Swingarm, 2-3 inches. He said there *was* another complaint and two complaints warrant a check but of the several hundred sold to 'Busa folk nobody else had said anything. If you have one of these pipes and see the same problem here let them know via email, whatever... I know it is frustrating working with these situations but it allows for you and people after you to get a better product, plus it's still easier than making your own pipe (pun).

get the brock clutch deal it will serve you well for now.i don't care how good a rider thinks he is you cant launch this bike with out the brock deal. or you can do it your self. just weld the center of the hub..and do some stuff with the spacing...

They already know that I`ve got one...did yours have the spacer that goes between the can and mount? Go look at a micron from rear beside a yosh....lots of difference !!

robh
Check out my post shown on this forum "Micron Full exhaust problems"--July 30,1999 last i checked. It goes through alot of this.
I don't have the 2-3" space issue though. But, i had a small head pipe leak due to not using new gaskets, and I also switched to thicker flanges since the Micron originals were too thin. They supplied them.
The pipe makes power though.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 10 August 1999).]

cbxchris,

Yes, the spacer came with and had to be used though and still had to do considerable pulling to get the pipe to the peg mount.
Regarding the comparison: Are you saying you notice the Micron sets out further or closer?

Rob

Yes, the micron comes out at a angle and I also had to pull mine over to the spacer...same as yours. The yosh comes out in line with the rest of bike and tucks better.The fit on the yosh was perfect. Glad to know that something is not wrong with my pipe.

Back