Need a good battery charger

busafng

Registered
I need to know what everyone uses as a battery charger. A mechanic friend of mine tells me that I won't get anywhere trying to recharge a battery with a $25 charger from some parts store. What has anyone used to put a serious charge on a drained battery? Thanks.
Busafng

I've got a branded charger here, can be used for car batteries too. It has a switch to differentiate between car and bike batteries, and another switch for sealed or unsealed.

Works for me.

I've got a "Battery Tender"  Get it at a bike shop.  It comes with a pig tail that can be installed on the battery and plugged in when needed, you will not even need to take the seat off, just the hump/rear seat and plug it in.

Battery Tender Products

Pick one. I've got the "Battery Tender Plus"

I got an Optimate III, it has the features like keeping it hooked up all winter and it won't fry the battery because of the processor, desulphateing to recharge deeply drained batteries, 2 sets of connections (alligator clamps abd a set you can permantly place on the battery and then the other end has a rubber cap to keep the connector clean while riding.

You need to avoid using chargers designed for automotive batteries as the will ruin a motorcycle battery. As mentioned,the battery tender is the ticket.

I got an Optimate III, it has the features like keeping it hooked up all winter and it won't fry the battery because of the processor, desulphateing to recharge deeply drained batteries, 2 sets of connections (alligator clamps abd a set you can permantly place on the battery and then the other end has a rubber cap to keep the connector clean while riding.
+1

This makes #8 of 10 people using the Battery Tender. They are inexpensive and convienient and just plain work! They have an light on the wallpack that tells you charging or charged ( Red and Green ) If you have more than one bike you can get additional bike leads for under 5 bucks each OR buy the bigger unit that handles 5 or even the commercial size that handles 12 (saw that at the Harley shop).

Battery Tender also.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies folks. Going to get a batterytender plus and never have this problem again. This board is great.
Busafng

Back