Nascar is the lamest

eynlai

Registered
I may risk pissing off some peep by saying that Nascar is one of the most overrated and under skill races out there. I wonder why it's so big in the U.S. only, while the rest of the world basically ignores it. And the reverse is sadly true for sportbike races: The rest of the world seems to love it, but here in the U.S. not much peep care about it compared to the Lamecar races.

Well, I have documentation proving Nascar is Lame and is just a waste of gas. Here's a link to a PDF file comparison track map setup at California Speedway, Fontana CA.

Take a look at the bottom Nascar layout... what a waste.... Left bank, left bank, left bank, left bank..... Come on!! Driving in the L.A. / S.F. freeways takes more skill than that!!

http://www.californiaspeedway.com/uploads....aps.pdf

And you have driven how many race cars.......even ones that "only" turn left?

43 different cars.. and normally atleast half the field finishing on the lead lap after 4-500 miles... nah, thats not all that competitive at all. 20 cars within 30 seconds of the fastest...

Yeah, that happens all the time in motogp/f1/whatever motorsport you wanna talk about.

.. also the race differences may be just a touch more taxing on nascar drivers also. 45 minutes worth of driving compared to 5 hours... even if it is only turning left.. haha.

don't get me wrong. I like BSB, and motoGP pretty well.. and my biggest problem with NASCAR is that it takes basically your whole sunday if you watch a race. .. i work m-s 8-6:30.. so uhh... i'm not wasting it watching a race.

I usually DVR it, and the GP races and watch them later..

but just for the sake of arguement you should really look a little deeper into something before you decide its boring and takes no talent or whatever.
wink.gif

one other thing to consider would be that the 2 road races the Nascar season has always bring some road race "pro's" out to show the left turners how to do it... they finish typically in the top ten.. but to my knowledge none of the supposed experts have beat the round trackers at the road courses yet..

Conveniently lef out the NASACAR road racing courses as well that happen during the season, dintchoo? ;)

Seriously, NASCAR ain't really my bag, but I realize there's a lot more strategy and pure endurance involved with it than just making left turns. Pit Strategies specifically bring a huge level a strategy to the races that you just don't get in some other motorsports. The gambling involved is fairly interesting.

Like I said, it's not my bag, but so what, neither is basketball, yet I still recognize it as a sport... of some description.... kinda. ;)

At least if you are gonna compare, please do apples to apples, not apples to grapes. Compare the California Speedway "ROAD" course to California's Infineon raceway, which is also Nascar's road course. I don't compare you riding a busa around the block to me driving my four wheeler through the woods? Come on!

And I don't know why I like it, but I'd rather ride my bike than watch some pros ride around on TV. Maybe that's just me. I watch some NASCAR on the rainy Sundays.

i thought of something else to drench yer little bon fire..

in motorcyclist I remember reading a quote from one of the big bike racer guys.. can't remember which one at the moment.. i'll look tomorrow for ya..

i won't quote exactly since I don't know it exactly.. but he basically said the banked turns at daytona (the bike races.. not the nascar) was where the men got seperated from the boys...

so it may be a touch more difficult than you would think.

There was also an article last month talking to a bike racer having to will himself to keep the throttle open thru the banking because it was .."scary".

I wouldn't have thought a little ole boring banked turn that was the equivilant of a afternoon trip thru rushhour traffic on the interstate would lead a professional racer to feel that way.

I may risk pissing off some peep by saying that Nascar is one of the most overrated and under skill races out there.  I wonder why it's so big in the U.S. only, while the rest of the world basically ignores it.  And the reverse is sadly true for sportbike races:  The rest of the world seems to love it, but here in the U.S. not much peep care about it compared to the Lamecar races.

Well, I have documentation proving Nascar is Lame and is just a waste of gas.  Here's a link to a PDF file comparison track map setup at California Speedway, Fontana CA.  

Take a look at the bottom Nascar layout... what a waste.... Left bank, left bank, left bank, left bank..... Come on!!  Driving in the L.A. / S.F. freeways takes more skill than that!!

Have you ever raced oval?....sometimes its best to wait until you've tried something to bash it
wink.gif
ever heard the story about ass-uming?....lol

Attacking Nascar?
rock.gif

Man, what's next??  You gonna tell us hot dogs are bad for us?
rock.gif
 Or that you hate Apple F***** Pie?
rock.gif

Boy, you ain't from around these here parts, are ya???

Good thing the Redneck ain't around here......

face7.gif

In the words of Marlon Brando  in the movie Apocalypse Now:  "The ho, The ho of it all!!!"   I think he was talking about Jane Fonda.....

<!--EDIT|HeliBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114145825 -->

rock.gif

rock.gif

Lets see here, Football is huge in the US but not the rest of the world. Soccer is huge every place else except the US. But you will not see me bagging on Soccer just because.

I don't have cable at the moment so no Speedchannel to watch MotoGp. Still wish the local channels would cover it from time to time.

Now on to my biggest ##### about your comparison of MotoGp vs NASCAR. When the MotoGp boys start doing races that last over three hours then you can come to me and #####.

In the words of Marlon Brando  in the movie Apocalypse Now:  "The ho, The ho of it all!!!"   I think he was talking about Jane Fonda.....
It's "the horror" (wasn't sure if you were making a joke with 'ho' - apologies in advance if you were).

But yes, these people are exactly right. Please don't act like a dipshit just because you think something is simple. I've watched the Ultimate Fighting Championship. I was in fights in school and with some friends. Wow, what a piece of cake....I could be a professional fighter.

Not much into Nascar but will wake up at 2am to catch a Supercross Race.
Hands down the most demanding motorsport.

Well all kind of racing is interesting and does require a certain kind of skill... IMO
smile.gif

My advice... if you dont like a sport, dont watch it
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|shenoyp
Reason for Edit: "Typo"|1114157115 -->

I am not much of a Nascar fan. I did however get a chance to ride my bike on Lowes Motorspeedway last year ($10 for 4 laps and all the money went to charity). I have a new respect for Nascar drivers. Making it through a 500 mile race running 180+ miles an hour takes concentration and skill - even if they are only turning left.

Going into turn 1 on a bike the first time was such a rush! 24-degree banking is a trip - you see the ground in your left eye and the sky in your right. Fun stuff! Give it a try if you ever have the chance.

<!--EDIT|macbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114169634 -->

I may risk pissing off some peep by saying that Nascar is one of the most overrated and under skill races out there.  I wonder why it's so big in the U.S. only, while the rest of the world basically ignores it.  And the reverse is sadly true for sportbike races:  The rest of the world seems to love it, but here in the U.S. not much peep care about it compared to the Lamecar races.

Well, I have documentation proving Nascar is Lame and is just a waste of gas.  Here's a link to a PDF file comparison track map setup at California Speedway, Fontana CA.  

Take a look at the bottom Nascar layout... what a waste.... Left bank, left bank, left bank, left bank..... Come on!!  Driving in the L.A. / S.F. freeways takes more skill than that!!

Well, i guess its time for my few words: What are you basing your "over rated & under skilled" remark on? Have you driven a 3500 lb, 750 hp car around anywhere much less some where like Charlotte, Talledega, Watkin's Glen, Fontana, or Atlanta? Didnt think so.The competition in NASCAR is so tight, that all 40 cars in qualifying are usually within a second and a half of each other.Where do you get the impression that the rest of the world ignores it? I live in the UAE and the locals here love it! Japan is so rabid for NASCAR, they paid some of the teams to come for an exhibition race! Mexico is the same as Japan! You think its all left turns? Wrong, go to one of the road races, see for yourself!, Instead of making a broad characterization based solely on personal opinion.NASCAR fans are the most loyal fans in the world! When was the last time you saw 125,000 fans at a bike Race? If you have an opinion on something, thats good, but dont assume everyone is going to share that opinion and that you can force feed that opinon down their throats with a comparison of 2 tracks! I like to see you take turn 3 at Talledega at 200 mile an hour in a Cup car! You coundnt do it on you bike! Much less a cup car! Am I NASCAR Fan? You bet, I like all kinds of racing,but you my friend are someone thats probably never even been to a big race event such as a NASCAR Race, NHRA, AMA, a Schnitz Racing Promoted event or the like! Grouping every one else in the world and assuming they share your same views on tracks, racing or anything else is narrow minded and plain arrogant. I'm Done! NJ.

I think NASCAR sucks too, but not for the same reasons. I find it boring to watch. I would enjoy going to a race though. If you think that Nascar drivers have no skills, obviously you haven't ever watched it at all. Those guys are talented, they just race in a series I don't wanna watch. Don't make the mistake of thinking that simply cuz you don't like a sport, it takes no talent.

I find that most people that bash NASCAR have never been to an actual race. You HAVE to see it live to really appreicate the oval racing. There is a LOT going on that just isn't captured on TV. It's a contact sport!! Besides the cars going around in a circle you have to follow the setups, pit strategy and each teams race strategy.

Compared to F1?? SSSSHEEESH!!! Just remember, in NASCAR, the drivers are driving the cars, 100%. Right now the F1 practice is on SPEED, I need a third cup of coffee. All they talk about is launch control, traction control, ABS control, onboard engine management, shift sequence pattern control...........Why don't they just eliminate the driver to save weight and let the computers steer the cars as well???

I'm a big NASCAR fan but when Moto GP or other bike racing is on, I wear out the remote
smile.gif

If it didn’t take any skill to compete in NASCAR because of the left only turns, how do you explain very successful drivers from other series such as CART or TRANS AM (both turn right) that try to transition to the oval and cant compete. Boris Said dominated TRANS AM and can’t make an impact on the oval. Christian Fitipaldi tried to make the jump from CART; Also a back marker on the oval. Are these not talented drivers? They should run circles around some hillbilly on an oval. Right? Oh wait, Danny Lososki can make an Outlaw Sprint car go 100 MPH on dirt……sideways, but still cant get a job in the cup series……he must not have any talent either. I understand some people don’t like NASCAR. But I think most of them would probably like it if they understood the “soap operas†and stories off the track and the work involved in just fielding a car in the sport. Have you ever taken a 15 spin in a “simple†race type go cart? Tell me you didn’t get off soaking wet with sweat and sore for a few days. Try that for 3 hours under a lot more pressure than that. Hey I love GP and Formula One as much as the next guy, but you can’t tell me this last GP race was with Rossi coming in 2nd…….11 sec. behind the leader. Is more exciting than two cars rubbing paint at 200 MPH, and finishing a few 100th of a second apart…after 500 miles.

Back