nail in tire

hemi

Registered
just noticed a nail in my brand new pilot power pure (rear), only about 1k miles so far on the tire. Decided to pull it to see if it was all the way through (planned on just replacing anyways). Pulled the nail out (about 1"), and it was completely sideways into the tread of the tire, not puncturing the belt or leaking air. Think i'm in the clear as long as it didn't puncture completely through the tire

I'd replace that tire if I were you. You don't want to take the chance that the tire's wall has been weakened.

Seems like it still makes the tire vulnerable though... thats a tough call. Your risking your safety if the vulnerability now in that tire gives out while your on the road...

If it didn't go thru and it's not leaking any air I would be ok with it .
I pulled a huge piece of glass out of my tire that didn't go all the way thru and that was over 4,000 miles ago .
Tires still fine and. I have run it pretty strong a few times.

Wish I could call a tire with 1K miles brand new! haha. That's half gone for me!! I run em til the belts/cords show all the way around... no issues yet. And I'm an idiot with my bike. There, no one else had to say it. :poke::laugh:

i have pulled a few pieces of small glass or rocks that were embedded in the tire and left a small hole. It was in the tire pretty good, about 1" as stated above, but no air leaking yet. It is a tough call though, will probably be fine but do i really want to compromise safety for a tire, especially since my wife has been riding quite a bit more lately. If i pulled the nail and it leaked i would definitely replace, plugging the hole and keep it as a spare. Think i will just ride it as is and keep an eye on it, maybe spray soapy water on it from time to time and see if it develops a small leak. I'd hate to replace a brand new tire already when it didn't puncture all the way through. Hell, one of my friends had a drywall screw in is R1 rear tire and he rode it like that for a few thousand miles leaving the screw in

ride safe, man and hope your future rides with your wife will not be spoiled by that nagging thought....will that tire be OK today.....at this speed? or maybe I should slow down a bit?

from reading your threads/posts, thought I had you figured out and was pretty darn sure your OCD self would have opted to get a new tire? your call, dude!

It wouldn't bother me to ride that puppy on the streets. If it's not leaking it's not penetrated the steel belts.

i have pulled a few pieces of small glass or rocks that were embedded in the tire and left a small hole. It was in the tire pretty good, about 1" as stated above, but no air leaking yet. It is a tough call though, will probably be fine but do i really want to compromise safety for a tire, especially since my wife has been riding quite a bit more lately. If i pulled the nail and it leaked i would definitely replace, plugging the hole and keep it as a spare. Think i will just ride it as is and keep an eye on it, maybe spray soapy water on it from time to time and see if it develops a small leak. I'd hate to replace a brand new tire already when it didn't puncture all the way through. Hell, one of my friends had a drywall screw in is R1 rear tire and he rode it like that for a few thousand miles leaving the screw in

Make sure your wife knows how to post on here, so we can send flowers.

My main concern would be any deforation of the tire after it warmed up, I'd keep an eye on it for any change in shape or slight bulging around where it went in after your next few rides.

Back