My subaru is broken ,again!

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Well, my car has once again broke itself. This the fourth problem its had in 4 months. Ive got a thread up on the Subaru forum, but alot of you Busa guys are gear heads, so maybe you can help?

Car is an 04 Sti, Invidia downpipe, catless HKS high power, K&N intake and Dyno tune, turbo timer. Its also has o2 sensor eliminators, which seems to be my problem.
So, my engine light came on, ODB2 says "slow response on o2 sensor, bank 1, sensor 2". Bank one, driver side? I thought o2 sensors were in the exhaust pipe? I dont even know where the stupid thing is. I gather the elimator is goin bad, or is now broke. Where is it and how should I go about fixin it? I dont know what brand it is or if I can just buy any brand a swap it out? This car has been fightin me since i bought it.

Any info from the Busa guys? Thanks

SANY1270.jpg

Last edited:
It's B/C you eliminated the cat, the ECU is not seeing the O2 sensor respond normally. Sensor 2 is the designation for the post cat sensors. Get a set of O2 sensor eliminators from summitracing.com (as long as they use bosh sensors the plugs should be the same) and clear the ECU fault memory.

ETA: "catless HKS high power" this gives away that you have no cat's. Either talk to the shop that did the work or the previous owner. The O2's are in the exhaust, one pre cat (Sensor 1) and one post cat (Sensor 2) per bank.

Mechanical Solution:
http://www.statracing.com/buy/blox-ce.asp

Electronic Solution:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...g-46L-V8-38l-V6-Mil-Eliminators-O2-Simulators

Last edited:
well my limited knowledge is that the stock sensor is "semi wideband" the elimninator probably isnt sending the right signal.

Also, the length of the wires plays a role in the signal, the longer the wire, the more resistance. This skews the readings that get back to the ecu and cause funny problems.

^^^^I'm with rubber on this one:rofl:

You should be able to see em in the pipe(not sure never been under a subi thats just a guess) Follow the wiring from em and make sure nothings melted. I fought hell and high water with a tuning issue on my pro street car that was caused by a zip tie breaking and dropping the wire from the o2 onto the collector and melting it

wasnt it fast enough stock? :laugh: had to go and mess with it:whistle: its not a busa:moon:
j/k good luck..

wasnt it fast enough stock? :laugh: had to go and mess with it:whistle: its not a busa:moon:
j/k good luck..

IT WASNT ME!!!:lol:

I bought it with the mods, less a dyno tune... I know, know, mod it yourself or ya dont know what is done. Learned that one the hard way...

I wish it was stock:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Well, my car has once again broke itself. This the fourth problem its had in 4 months. Ive got a thread up on the Subaru forum, but alot of you Busa guys are gear heads, so maybe you can help?

Car is an 04 Sti, Invidia downpipe, catless HKS high power, K&N intake and Dyno tune, turbo timer. Its also has o2 sensor eliminators, which seems to be my problem.
So, my engine light came on, ODB2 says "slow response on o2 sensor, bank 1, sensor 2". Bank one, driver side? I thought o2 sensors were in the exhaust pipe? I dont even know where the stupid thing is. I gather the elimator is goin bad, or is now broke. Where is it and how should I go about fixin it? I dont know what brand it is or if I can just buy any brand a swap it out? This car has been fightin me since i bought it.

Any info from the Busa guys? Thanks
Sensor 2 is almost always aft of the cat. So, wherever your cat was, that's where it will be. Sensor 1, for any given bank, will be right where all the separate cylinders converge at the end of the header.

And this isn't serious, it happens to O2 sensors around 75-125K miles.

O2 sims do and will go bad ... people with OBD2 cars do it all the time when they remove the cats ... i know ... currently driving a 01 stang with O2 sims on it ... lol

It basically tricks the ECU into seeing a O2 signal and therefore eliminating a CEL and passing emissions.

One went bad on me once but it wasn't the sim itself, it was actually one of the shielded wires got whacked by a speed bump ... but even trying to patch a shielded wire with another shielded wire resulted in a CEL and the car running like absolute poop!

Like atomic said look for the second O2 down stream and either replace it or double check there are no broken wires ... which in my case resulted in me replacing it anyways.

Clean Scooby BTW!

EDIT:

After searching a bit for scooby o2 sims it seems they actually are NOT like the stangs ... they are a module that installs to the wiring harness and don't truly take the place of the OEM O2 sensors ...

http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/?productID=652

they run about $65 each ... from that site anyways so the first place to look would be look for a wiring harness underneath the car that may go to a device like that one and maybe mounted under the car somewhere. Still going to be around where the factory rear O2 would be.

Last edited:
How did they tune it? With an AccessPort, or was it open source? If it is throwing the code recently after the tune, I would go to the tuner for advice. It shouldn't have to have CEL eliminators on it if it was tuned properly. Mine doesn't. I'm at stage 2 with a Hi-flow cat and Cobb stage 2 A/P
20K miles, no engine light. You can get to the O2 sensor from under the car. Its about right underneath the shifter in the middle of the car (a little closer to the passenger side)
If you posted the question on Nasioc, you'll get an answer pretty soon. Those guys are crazy about their Subies.
Don't believe these haters here. They are probably Mustang guys.... :moon:
PM me if you don't get anywhere. My best friend is a Subaru tech.

Sometimes the O2 sensor is hidden on the underside of the manifold. If you have the ability check the short term fuel trim history. Can be indicative of a vacuum leak. Then the car compensates and gives often non related code faults. Some times the ECU is too smart for it's own good.

Thanks guys:beerchug:

I went to autosone to get the exact code from the ODB2, it was 0139,Rear Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response. I got the info, started the car to head home, the light went out. Not sure what its deal was, gonna keep an eye on it and Ive got a local Subi expert on board with me now.

GsxrBots- Its was tuned via open source on sept 3, daily driver since then. It used to have Cobb stage2 AP, previous owner sold that before he traded it in. I would have preferred to go AP, but $$ became an issue, and i didnt want stage2 on it anymore.

Im still gonna track down the o2 sims/elims and have a look at em.

Back