My Rostra Cruise Install

Great writeup with brief but effective notes and brilliant pictures....go to the top of the class!!:laugh:

But ... I would like to know if the cruise control unit has been tested by yourself or anyone else on long down hill runs ?

How does this setup control your set downhill speed ?

Does it let the bike build up speed like most units do ?

You will not gain speed going downhill, I've done probably 20k miles with my cruise and it just maintains the speed you set, uphill, downhill or flat...

You will not gain speed going downhill, I've done probably 20k miles with my cruise and it just maintains the speed you set, uphill, downhill or flat...

Then that makes this cruise control unit ...incredibly great value for money as most units can't contain down hill speed.

WOW!! I'm going to have to get me one of them.......:laugh:

Then that makes this cruise control unit ...incredibly great value for money as most units can't contain down hill speed.

WOW!! I'm going to have to get me one of them.......:laugh:

It works just like a car does, it lets off and the bike slows down on its own. But like Cap said, it doesnt build speed. Set it and it stays where you set it.

Oh, and to the OP, put a little silicone behind the control pad where the wire loom comes out of it. That will make the unit more water tight.

Great writeup with brief but effective notes and brilliant pictures....go to the top of the class!!:laugh:

But ... I would like to know if the cruise control unit has been tested by yourself or anyone else on long down hill runs ?

OZZYBUSA, I do not have any answers for you yet and may not for a bit...it's still in the 30's where I live. I took it out for about 5 minutes to make sure it atleast functioned. I have not used it or done a full set of tests (up & down hills, different speeds, different gears, etc.) Maybe someone that has one will see your questions and post-up.

Sorry, I just caught up with the rest of the thread!

Sorry, I just caught up with the rest of the thread!

No problems at all. I'm impressed that you were so willing to share information about the setup.

Most members have reported positive feedback so I'm of the opinion that it's a great unit.

I love cruise control units in cars but a number of them gain speed downhill never hold it constant! Except in my audi its the best I have used.

But cars are a different story (kind of anyway)......

I plan to put this unit on my busa ... to save my wrist a little bit of pain hahaha :laugh:

Any further info ? Im looking to do an install very soon. I used the vacuum unit on an FJR & it worked flawless, hoping for the same results with the Rostra unit.
A wiring chart/diagram would be an awesome sticky !!!!

Any further info ? Im looking to do an install very soon. I used the vacuum unit on an FJR & it worked flawless, hoping for the same results with the Rostra unit.
A wiring chart/diagram would be an awesome sticky !!!!

Sorry FJRobert, I threw away my wiring diagram. That was the most time consuming part of the install. Mapping out all the wires from the Rostra...to both relays, one of which is for the control panel with the engagement light...the control panel and the bikes harness. All the different colored wires was enough to have your head spinning. Most of the wiring is straight forward except for wiring the control panel with engagement light. It required an additional relay and took some trial and error because the instructions on this sucked. I did some testing about 3 weeks ago during a warm day and it functioned well. Still need to fine tune how quickly it puts on the power...but it holds well and turns off as designed with the brakes. The over-rev protection is not functioning correctly, for some reason....so I'm going to check my wiring, but many Busa users have the over-rev protection working just fine. This is not a quick install.

Any changes that would prevent me from doing this on a 15?
Welcome to the forum.!! You shouldn't have any issues doing it on your 2015. 2008 to 2016 bike is pretty much the same except for the addition of abs on later models.

Sorry to bug you about this thread so long after you posted but was wondering if you ever sorted out your NSS issue with the Clutch Switch? I'm almost done with an install and I'm wired into the clutch switch. I've noticed that there is some residual -ve earth on the black/yellow wire which goes to a hard earth when the clutch is pulled. That black/yellow wire also goes to the ecu and at tha starter relay end it terminates on a coil that heads off somewhere else. Anyway, just wondering if you ever got it working before I pull my hair out when I try to test it? Cheers Chris.

Sorry FJRobert, I threw away my wiring diagram. That was the most time consuming part of the install. Mapping out all the wires from the Rostra...to both relays, one of which is for the control panel with the engagement light...the control panel and the bikes harness. All the different colored wires was enough to have your head spinning. Most of the wiring is straight forward except for wiring the control panel with engagement light. It required an additional relay and took some trial and error because the instructions on this sucked. I did some testing about 3 weeks ago during a warm day and it functioned well. Still need to fine tune how quickly it puts on the power...but it holds well and turns off as designed with the brakes. The over-rev protection is not functioning correctly, for some reason....so I'm going to check my wiring, but many Busa users have the over-rev protection working just fine. This is not a quick install.

Sorry to bug you about this thread so long after you posted but was wondering if you ever sorted out your NSS issue with the Clutch Switch? I'm almost done with an install and I'm wired into the clutch switch. I've noticed that there is some residual -ve earth on the black/yellow wire which goes to a hard earth when the clutch is pulled. That black/yellow wire also goes to the ecu and at tha starter relay end it terminates on a coil that heads off somewhere else. Anyway, just wondering if you ever got it working before I pull my hair out when I try to test it? Cheers Chris.

I know on my Audiovox CCS-100 system there was a jumper wire I had to remove to let the unit know it was being installed on a manual transmission vehicle. So when I pull my clutch lever in, my CC disengages automatically. I didn't have to add anything to the clutch switch wire. My unit is vacuum assisted vs. the Rostra's fully electric system, however, so maybe that plays a part?

Last edited:
I know on my Audiovox CCS-100 system there was a jumper wire I had to remove to let the unit know it was being installed on a manual transmission vehicle. So when I pull my clutch lever in, my CC disengages automatically. I didn't have to add anything to the clutch switch wire. My unit is vacuum assisted vs. the Rostra's fully electric system, however, so maybe that plays a part?
Hi, thanks for the input. Ive completed my install now and ironed out the gremlins with the great help from this forum. Got a big ride coming up next week and looking forward to using the Rostra to full potential. Cheers Chris

Back