My Riding Season ended in Indy during MotoGP Weekend

The_HighwayMan

Registered
Yes, sad to say my season was abruptly cut short due to a broken pelvis. I was out in Indianapolis for the RedBull MotoGP race and took a bad spill. I landed with my leg extended an locked out and fractured my pelvis. No surgery but won't be riding anytime soon. I will rehab and come back better and stronger! I will BUSA again!!

Thanks! So do I. I just called my insurance carried and changed my status to in storage. It wasn't even a bad fall just a weird landing. I'd driven out to Indy with some close friends and it happened after the first day of qualifying. I learned that I do have some really good friends that took care of me when they didn't have to.

Thanks! So do I. I just called my insurance carried and changed my status to in storage. It wasn't even a bad fall just a weird landing. I'd driven out to Indy with some close friends and it happened after the first day of qualifying. I learned that I do have some really good friends that took care of me when they didn't have to.

That's good to know; can't imagine if you'd been surrounded by bad friends :laugh:

sorry to hear this, hope you're back on two feet and two wheels soon :beerchug:

Sorry to hear about your "bad spill".

Hope you get through rehab OK as it can be painful, but no pain no gain. :banghead:

Can you detail a little more what happened? We never like to hear of someone
getting hurt - but always like to learn form others mistakes so hopefully we can avoid them.

Ok this is how it happened. I was heading back to our camping area across the street from the Brickyard and there is a guard rail separating the parking lot from the grass field. I've done this move a million times doing road work along highways; I step on the guard rail with my left foot and propel myself up and land with both feet on the ground. This time when I pushed off my left foot it slipped on the way up and when I came back down my left foot was fully extended. When that foot landed my knee locked and the force of the impact when straight to my hip. At first I thought I'd be ok, but soon the pain got worse and the range of motion decreased. I played football for most of my life, high school and Division 1, and this if the first bone I've broken in my life. If nothing else I've learned that I'm not nearly as indestructible as I thought I was.

Ooouch i really feel for ya man , i busted my pelvis at a bike rally (Images - Brass Monkey Rally) a few years back and it sucked bad, i had to lay motionless for 2 weeks in a local hospital so it could partial stabilize before i could be flown back to my home town hosp. Anyway about 9months after that i was back at work and back on a bike :thumbsup:.
Mate all the best for a speedy full recovery :yes:

Luckily my fracture is stable and so surgery isn't necessary. I go back to the ortho in 4 weeks and hopefully they'll see a lot of bone growth so I can start rehabing. This fall will be a lot of comfort and appearance mods to the busa. I won't lie; this was an awakening of my destructibility. This is the first broken bone I've ever had and it's weird cause the pain is sickening. I'll be in Austin and Indy next year for both races; "Ain't nobody going to break my stride, nobody's going to hold me down"

Back