Let's be careful out there!

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
New season starting, cagers aren't aware yet, everybody's rusty from last season.

So today was my first day to get to ride to work (hopefully the rain won't start until after I get home, but since I rode...odds are it will); apparently so did someone else in our industrial park, who managed to wad his bike around a telephone pole just across the street from where I work (yep, sportbike).

Don't know what happened as it was gone when I got there, but all my co-workers told me about it. Said you couldn't hardly make out the bike, plastics everywhere, rider's leg broken compound fracture.

Either he was going to fast and lost control in a turn, or someone pulled out in front of him and he avoided....

Yikes, that's not a good way to start the season, and usually this time of year, you need to worry way more about cagers than yourself, but I guess this guy is the exception. I hope heals up fast...

In the last week alone, I've witnessed 4 or 5 cagers signaling left, turning right (or visa versa), and 3 extremely close calls where a cager just decides to change lanes even if there's a car next to them. One of those close calls was with me last week while out with my boys. Stupidity abounds, but be extra alert when riding because they don't see you and/or they don't care if you're there :banghead:

Yes we've had a "turned into the path of the motorcycle" fatality already. I had the binders on hard for a deer yesterday....

I've almost been taken out 3 or 4 times in the last few days...but then again,I'm freakin' wierd and kind of like it.:cookoo: You know,cheating death and all.

The most important piece of safety gear I strap on before a ride is my ADULT DEPENDS.

"Better first in hell,than second in heaven". :laugh:

Good "lookin out for us" thou Skydivr. Nice reminder as the season gets started. :thumbsup:

RSD.

Please don't go posting a pic of you in your Adult Depends Andy :please:

:rofl:

Although helmet crunching happens year round it seems to be the most prevalent during the spring months.

And "Nobody" is immune to a crash!

yep, responded to a fatal yesterday that was actually caught on video which is rare. but, I blame the motorcycle operator for his pure stupidity for goin as fast as he was where he was which is a heavily traveled road with stop signs on either side that ppl rountinely eat. he was goin about 60 mph in a 25.

sure, the operator of the car will be charged but the guy on the MC is still DEAD! there is a time and a place to let it rip and if a MC operator cant distinguish when and where that place is then he shudnt b riding a MC.

yep, responded to a fatal yesterday that was actually caught on video which is rare. but, I blame the motorcycle operator for his pure stupidity for goin as fast as he was where he was which is a heavily traveled road with stop signs on either side that ppl rountinely eat. he was goin about 60 mph in a 25.

sure, the operator of the car will be charged but the guy on the MC is still DEAD! there is a time and a place to let it rip and if a MC operator cant distinguish when and where that place is then he shudnt b riding a MC.

dang thats aweful, i agree there is a time and a place.

Didnt Momma Blanca Warn Us to button up and becareful out there also?

early season, mid season, late season you should always ride as your not seen.

Dont forget your rain coat and umbrella tomorrow and becareful driving on the wet roads.:lol:

Police officer here told me there had already been 17 Fatalties this year on Bikes in Nashville.

Police officer here told me there had already been 17 Fatalties this year on Bikes in Nashville.

Happens every spring. New riders, riders not maintaining there bikes. I hear about all the motorcycle accidents coming in on Life Flight and at the ER. Been a bunch over the weekend. No Surprise. Just as most anyone can get a carry permit for a gun as most any one can get a motorcycle license. Just because you can legally obtain both doesnt mean its one of the abilities to make the correct decisions in a life or death situation.

I saw 17 on the interstate overhead information signs. That would be for the state, not just Nashville I think.

Awareness and position are everything.
Watch behind you when slowing or stopped.
Leave yourself an out as much as possible. Get clear from other traffic as often as possible.
Shadow the brakes whenever it appears they might be needed.

One of my peeve's is people that roll up fast to a stop sign. The other thing they do on occassion is start rolling towards the lane I am in before I have passed from either side... ie... a left or right turn. It forces me to slow down even if somebody is tailgaiting which is often in Socal.
Socal has to be the tailgaiting capitol of the world.

I like to position myself on the left side of the number one lane in multi lane freeway traffic even though that lane is scrutinized for speeders more often than the others. I like it because I can see the road surface and be on the lookout for debris... like ladders and other obstacles.

You never have to much information while driving. I look at car and truck tires for low pressure... I look at how loads are secured on cars and trucks... I look for stuff that is dragging or spilling from other vehicles. I once saw an overheated rear end on a small pickup that was spewing gear lube from what appeared to be the pinion seal. The pickup was already on the shoulder making a pool under the truck. I pondered what it would have been like to have been following that truck in the moments before he pulled over to inspect his truck.

On big trucks you never want to spend anytime next to the tires... if a truck tire blows and your next to it... you ain't gonna like it.

Back