My new PB last night

Dennis

Registered
I've been running my clutch a little light for spring pressure and stack height shorter than some guys to help me modulate my launch, and it worked. The problem I noticed when spraying last year (don't spray that much) was that my clutch was slipping down the track. Not enough to burn it up but enough I knew I needed to fix it. This winter I bought a Brocks clutch cushion which comes with heavy duty springs. I need to re-learn how to 60' this thing as I was able to run 1.41-1.42 last year but first day out with this setup is 1.48-1.50. To be honest there were days last year where for whatever reason I had a hard time running a 1.42, but anyway ....

The interesting thing is how much mph I picked up with this change. I know clutches can slip down track, and I was experiencing it on spray but I was sure I wasn't slipping off the spray. I picked up 2-3 mph in the 1/8 and 5 mph in the 1/4 on motor and about the same on spray. As I mentioned, my 60's are off so while the mph is my PB, I didn't beat my best et's of last year. This setup is very promising for when I get the 60' figured out again. DA was 1500-1700 during these runs which is typical around here and would be a good day in the heat of the summer.

Bike is stock motor 08, total weight 640 pounds (465 + 175), 64"

All motor
27Apr13_zps0de66a21.jpg

40 hp spray

27Apr13NOS_zpse39f73ac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I ran my buddy's stock motor 08 on E85. Total weight is basically the same and went 8.90's @ 154 mph but his clutch was noticably slipping on motor. He didn't have this problem last year but had issues making power which were resolved with a new exhaust this year. His bike will be a bit faster than mine once he fixes the clutch and I learn to 60' that 67" monster.

Your bike has 9-10 mph difference on me. That is interesting. I need to lose some weight!!! Is the motor all stock?
Congrats on good runs!

Yea, the motor is all stock. I haven't even adjusted the valves. I have short stacks (which didn't really seem to do anything), new plugs, PAIR elimination, and exhaust so those are the closest things to engine mods I have.

As a reference, the fastest my buddy went on his bike (with a better 60') was 149 and I went almost 155. He weighs about 80 pounds more than me.

wow impressive. thats why I prefer a turbo. as I gain weight I just add more boost....:poke:. but its amazing how body weight plays such a role in MC racing and means virtually nothing in car racing.

Cedar Falls Raceway, actual elevation about 900 feet. DA was 1500-1700. I turn on the spray in second gear. It gets me a solid 5 mph in the 1/4 but I hoped for more, especially this year with the new clutch setup. Equally disappointing is the et improvement, only about .15 seconds. I've had the bike on the dyno and it makes 40 hp more, not to say it was at the track when making passes.

Pshhhht those are how your 1/8 mile times should look... Slacker... :rofl:

Cedar Falls Raceway, actual elevation about 900 feet. DA was 1500-1700. I turn on the spray in second gear. It gets me a solid 5 mph in the 1/4 but I hoped for more, especially this year with the new clutch setup. Equally disappointing is the et improvement, only about .15 seconds. I've had the bike on the dyno and it makes 40 hp more, not to say it was at the track when making passes.

Man good passes! With the way your spraying your really not going to see much improvement over the motor. Your 60 and 330 is what really needs to pick up to see an improvement in your et. You should really look into getting a nos mini. I personally have a schnitz 2 dial on mine but a mini is so much more programable. You need to be spraying out of the hole. You can set it at a really low start percentage to keep it some what tame off the line but have it ramp pretty quick. I think you would see a lot better improvement with a progressive controller. On average you should drop about a half a sec with spray if done right.

Actually I had a progressive but switched to ECU flash. I've been told the cheap solenoids don't like to pulse below about 50% and honestly I can't even feel the hit with the 40 coming on all at once. Of course in 1st off the line that would be different. I need to get back to my 60 and 330 from last year before thinking about running spray in first. At times I've got the front end up enough in first that if I added spray I'd have to rock the throttle. I just need more practice with this clutch setup.

Actually I had a progressive but switched to ECU flash. I've been told the cheap solenoids don't like to pulse below about 50% and honestly I can't even feel the hit with the 40 coming on all at once. Of course in 1st off the line that would be different. I need to get back to my 60 and 330 from last year before thinking about running spray in first. At times I've got the front end up enough in first that if I added spray I'd have to rock the throttle. I just need more practice with this clutch setup.

Ahh I see. I've been starting at 20% of a 40 and haven't had any problems what so ever. Last year when I sprayed mine again I went from a pb of a 1.49 60' on the motor to a 1.42 doing wheelies. Granted i'm a big fan of wheelies so doesn't really scare me. But even at 20% it was still violent out of the hole. But if you know you can 60' better than what you are now definitely work on that first. You can only go faster! Good luck man!:thumbsup:

Back