My lil brother likes Hip-Hop...

Lalo86

Registered
My 10 year old brother is starting to listen to Hip-Hop and my mom is having a hard time with it, my other brother and I dont really see it as a problem, neither does my father. Hes a straight A kid in school, plays the clarinet and takes Jiu Jitsu at Knuckle Up fitness. Ive been listening to it since i was 5 Lol, its my genre of choice when it comes to music. He's listening to Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy, and Gorilla Zoe...i personally dont see a problem with letting the kid listen to what ever he wants as long as he keeps doing good in the things hes doing...What do you guys think?

as long as he get the edited versions at his age.....

It is hard, but your Mom needs to be heard also...as some of the younger groups really talk down about women.

I dont mean to sound lame.....but it is true.

as long as he get the edited versions at his age.....

It is hard, but your Mom needs to be heard also...as some of the younger groups really talk down about women.

I dont mean to sound lame.....but it is true.

+1 I personally dont like that type of music due to what they talk about.

maybe your mom just understands lil' wayne is garbage.....

there are some hip hop artists with talent, he is not one of them. he is britney spears with sagging drawls.

Oh no! Get him away from that music of the Devil!.. :rofl:

Nah, but seriously, if he will be allowed to listen to that music, you need to mentor him so that he knows it is for entertainment value only. He should be taught that it is not a matter of taking the content and applying it to his character.

I grew up on a Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin an Van Halen. Guess just watch how the music influences him. If takes it to a negative place in his actions do something about it. I didn't grow up into a drug using heroine addict cause of what i listened to. His friends will be more of deciding factor than his taste in music. jmo

At 10 years old, his music tastes will probably change in a few months. Humor it and maybe it'll go away.

Oh no! Get him away from that music of the Devil!.. :rofl:

Nah, but seriously, if he will be allowed to listen to that music, you need to mentor him so that he knows it is for entertainment value only. He should be taught that it is not a matter of taking the content and applying it to his character.

+1 :thumbsup:

There are much bigger things for parents to be worried about today than Hip Hop music. He gets straight A's .......alot of moms would love to have that. Tell her to lighten up.

- Sexy Can I?- Ray J ft. Yung Berg CLEAN VERSION[/url]

- Baby Bash featuring T-Pain - Cyclone[/url]

I LISTEN 2 T-PAIN LONG AS HE LISTENS 2 THAT HES FINE.

1239256846789.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hip-Hop, like most everything, is not bad in and of itself. However, there is good and bad in the genre in terms of lyrics and the peer pressure of the culture. While the music will probably not define him directly, it will likely influence him directly and it will also probably influence the type of "friends" that he accepts and/or accept him and his peers will be the biggest influence on him in the coming years. Some folks hear a negative lyric or see an negative action and head the other way, others ignore it and still others embrace it. Just remember, if they are susceptible to negative influences then having negative influences around is truly unfortunate. Everybody's different, but ya never know until they grow.

Best of luck!

As long as somebody teaches him that "Gangsta" rap is merely a revenue source, that if those cats were really doing what they are talking about they would be locked down or buried, he will be fine. Hip hop is not merely that style of music, "Gangsta" rap is just one facet of the lifestyle. I use parentheses because those cats ain't gangsta, no matter how hard they try to be. T.I. is probably the only legitimate popular gangsta artist out there and you see where he's headed..........
Love the music, just don't believe what I hear outta most of these clowns.
Lil wayne is the WORST! His (Manny Fresh's) beats are knockin but lyrically? ***** please!
And don't even get me started on Souljah boy. Non-english speakin, word-slurrin, mush-mouthed m&*ha f$#ka!

My kids both listen to what I listen to, and some of that is rap...I just make sure the versions they hear are edited. Some stuff just isn't appropriate and that's not just rap...much of the alternative music I love is rough too...

My kids are 6 and 8 and both well-rounded, considerate kids...music is huge in my life, so I'm just glad they both tolerate my tastes and I keep in mind the lyrics protecting them from questionable songs...

Just be aware and involved...
Posted via Mobile Device

As long as my children live in my house, they will abide by my rules. If I think that the music they listen to, the friends they associate with, and the places they hang out at are at all a bad influence.....I will persuade them to look for alternatives. You mother probably feels the same way as will you when you have kids. Do her a favor and support her decision.

My kids both listen to what I listen to, and some of that is rap...I just make sure the versions they hear are edited. Some stuff just isn't appropriate and that's not just rap...much of the alternative music I love is rough too...

My kids are 6 and 8 and both well-rounded, considerate kids...music is huge in my life, so I'm just glad they both tolerate my tastes and I keep in mind the lyrics protecting them from questionable songs...

Just be aware and involved...
Posted via Mobile Device
I just got an image of you listening to rap :rofl: I apologize.

On topic:

The genre of music is not the concern. More the content of the music. And as it was stated, that is less important than the people whom are selected as friends. I grew up listening to just about everything. I played viola and bass guitar. I listened to Mozart, Sir-mix-alot :rofl: and Metallica. I think I turned out semi-sortakinda-normal.

It's all about the people who influence them. Same thing with video games. Just tell mom to keep active, as is obvious from the straight A's, and he will turn out fine. Maybe some saggy britches... but :moon: it happens. :laugh:

i agree with you. i have listened to rap or hiphop on and off all my life. just school him to the good stuff. 99percent of this new hiphop is garbage. or maybe i'm just getting old

Thanks guys, good to hear everybodies opinions...i guess my mother cant really argue on her side since up to right now, nothing about him has changed, hes still a good kid...like some of u guys, ive listened to hip-hop my whole life, im 22 now...ill keep my eye on him and make sure he understands its just entertainment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back