MY INPUT ON ACCIDENTS AND RIDING

I never like to hear about the loss of a rider/son/daughter/father/mother. But we do what we do because we love it. Not that it makes it any easier for those theft behind, James died doing what he loved to do. There are worse ways to go. I'd rather die living, than live dying. +1,000,000 on being a responsible person and making sure you carry enough insurance. One should do that if they have high risk hobbies or not. I am the sole provider for my family. Even if something happens that I don't come home one night, wifey will never have to work.

thrasherfox:thanks for posting a greatly needed hits home post;
Mr. haselton, sorry for your loss, prayers to you and the family. please stay in touch and feel free to put valuable input from a possible different perspective on many of the topics posted on this board.

I am Busabru's father. He knew how to ride a busa and had may miles on it. The '08 was different than his old one. He went to a Big Dog but his love was the busa. I now have the Big Dog and will forever wish my son had listened to my words of caution. I told him it takes a split second for something to go wrong. He told me he knew he had a baby on the way, and a great future ahead of him. A loving wife and many great friends. I feel if he had lived to see the babies face he would have forgotten some of the thrill of speed on the Busa. If you out there are going to ride fast sportbikes fast.... buy a lot of life insurance! IF you cannot get full coverage and life insurance to protect your family DONT RIDE! I miss my son more that anyone can conceive! You young ones out there remember that parents don't keep telling you to be careful for their health. They are saying it for yours! They love you and want to see you tomorrow and the next day and right on. PLease please please be careful! Speed does KILL! It took my son from his mom and I and most of all his wife and CHILD!!!!
please excuse and errors I did not reread
You have my deepest condolences for your loss.

After reading about the life insurance, I wanted to mention disability/medical insurance as well. Disability insurance is for the single guys as well. For those who do trackdays, they have probably found out if their bike is covered on the track(not likely). But have they checked their health insurance?? Disability?? All good things to find out before you get hurt or disabled.

Thank you all!  James did die doing what he loved but there is much more to life than 125 + miles an hour and doing it where you should not be.  We do not know what happened that night.  He was a skilled rider, but we have no idea what was on the slight turn he left the road on.  Was there a deer in the road? Was he not where he thought he was on the road? Did he let his guard down for a split second? We dont know!  I do know that I lost my son!

I road motorcycles when I was young but gave it up for my children.  I never let them know that I love riding. When James poped up and wanted a bike I was shocked. He had never been on a bike before and bought a Busa.  His first day on it he laid it down.  It upset him so bad.  It hurt my hart too.  Even thought I was not sure how I felt about him having a bike.  He kept with it and he loved it.  To me it was not giving up life or living dying. My life went to something better. I had two boys that I loved more than life it self. There are many ways to enjoy life. My life became my children and I would not do it again any other way.  If James had lived to see his daughter I dont think he would have it any other way either.  I have a motorcycle now.  James being on the Busa brought me back to it again.  I bought a 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner S 1900cc.  After James' accident I hated bikes.  Now I realize the motorcycle did not kill my son.  The excessive need for speed, being too young to know better, and being at the wrong place at the wrong time did. No one made him twist that throttle.  It caused his brother to have to hold him in his arms while he was dieing! It took our son away, Hannah's dad away, and Kim's husband away.  There are times and places for everthing.  It should be his time to live and see his baby born.

These events always wear on me... the amount of retrospect and reflection on your own habits and actions are always brought up by the misfortune of someone else are always a bit stressful.. I have not lost a family member like this but I have lost a good number of friends and acquaintances over the years.

My best friend was killed on a bike Thanksgiving eve outside Strawberry AZ riding like a complete idiot about 15 years ago. He was in fact a top notch racer but had a horrible trait of always pushing his bike. He left a newborn and a wife behind (RIP Jim) His confidence in his own skills was his own undoing..

Riding bikes (especially high powered bikes) is inherently dangerous the same as racing or flying.

Both of which are much less forgiving of any lapse in judgment or mistakes for the most part. Make an error flying or racing and you stand a good chance of getting really hurt or worse. Errors on your bike can go unnoticed many times

I think you face substantial risk every time you open the throttle on a bike capable of triple digits in a few scant seconds.

Unlike racing and flying, when riding your bike you are not alone or in the company of other professionals, you have a world of conditions out of your control. At least when in the air or on the track, you are reasonably assured that no one else will cause your demise.

Every person should take time to evaluate the risks and responsibility you have in the real world. If you have a number of people you care about telling you something you do not want to hear, maybe you should be listening...

I do not think the risks are the same for every rider.. your own riding habits and attitude are very much factors in your safety. I know a large number of life long riders that have not crashed bikes. Ride with them and you will see why.. they do not "push" their luck or ride to the edge of their ability very often if at all. They also seem to maintain situational awareness all the time.. I think you need to see trouble way before it sees you...

I have noticed the many of the guys I know that crash, have done so more than once... low speed or high, there does appear to be some indicator at work..

So tough!
sad.gif
It will definitely make you think. I have seen and been through this many times as a helicopter pilot and can tell you that reflection is a tremendous thing. Thought about giving up riding myself this year, but decided to just focusing improving my riding skills, watching the throttle and drivers (as much as possible). I never did any crazy riding, but that's not always what causes accidents. Everyone please, please be careful!

I'm sorry for your loss and you have my prayers . I pray everyday for the safety of my motorcycle brothers and sisters . Most accidents are not caused by the fault of the rider . But you can and do have a responsibilty to ride safely and with caution . Remember to think that if something happens to you, what happens to everyone around you ? Yes you can get hit by a bus , and the chances of getting hurt on a bike are less than alot of other things we do , but being adrenaline junkies that some of us are we need to be reminded that others depend on us everyday .

Hey Ron, I'm really saddened and sorry to hear about your father in law. I have only ridden with you a few times but one thing I have noticed is that you think before you act, and on a motorcycle, especially the Busa, thinking first, even reflex thinking (as opposed to panic)is paramount to safe riding. Ride hard where the fun is; out in the middle of no where. I am very empathatic about what happened to your father in law. Sometimes its hard not to beat ourselfs up about something thats not our fault or have no control over. At some point, we will all have to get off the bike and hang it up. For some sooner that others. But until that day comes, ride on, and enjoy what you have always enjoyed. And... Live until you die....

So sorry to hear of the loss of a young man who leaves behind a mother, fahter, wife and children. I am sadded by the pain you are feeling and my heart goes out to you.

Mr. Haselden,

Thank you for posting. I know it had to be hard for you. We appreciate what you had to say. I have two sons who ride, and my worst fear would be to get the phone call that they were injured or killed while riding their bike. They are both mature and great riders who know if you push the performance capability of the high performance bike they ride, you will pay the price. That makes it easier for me, and I enjoy riding with them and my wife more than anything.

I can feel the pain that you are suffering in the words you type. At this point I can only say I'm sorry for your loss. We at Hayabusa.org share that loss and cared about your son too, and we pray that God will ease the pain for you and your family.

Thanks again for thinking about us, and for your words of caution.

May God bless you and your family,

Hal Cason

I hope some of what I have said will slow one person down enough to save their life. I hope you will think of your families and the loved one they will lose if you are not smart about the way you ride. Yes, motorcycles are a risk anyway. Do what you can to reduce that risk to the mininum. Carry proper insurance, life, disibility, and what ever else you need. Be SMART! Stay ALIVE! Let some good come out of all of this!
BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

All Please be SAFE and have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! We are looking forward to holding our son's baby that is due any time. The doctors plan to induce on the 27th if she doen't come before then. When you ride think of your families and loved ones. God Bless!

All Please be SAFE and have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! We are looking forward to holding our son's baby that is due any time. The doctors plan to induce on the 27th if she doen't come before then. When you ride think of your families and loved ones. God Bless!
I can imagine that is going to be a very emotional time..

Give the baby lots of love and hugs from all of us.

Back