MY INPUT ON ACCIDENTS AND RIDING

GOD WILL GUIDE YOU !

image.jpg

Thanks for the background Thrasher (been wondering where you've been). Well wishes sent out to your wifes daddy! You're a good man, and Lamb is sure you will go over and above for him. Thanks for the attitude adjustment.
Later
Lamb

good write up, i know where your coming from on this, i have not been the same since the accident i seen.

Very well spoken! Things like this really make me sit bake and think! I was in a major accident on my bike just over 10 years ago. Yes it did change my riding habits greatly. However if leave my house with all my gear on, i really do ride much differently as compared to when i dont. I some times think that im a little safer if i leave the house without gear! I know it doesn.t make much sense, but i really do ride more calmly then.
My prayers go out too everyone's grief, this past year, it has been a rough year for sure!
The last 3 years have been very bad for me, in Oct of 04, my very best friend Darrel Levesque, was killed on his bike. On a trip that i was suppoed to go with on, but at the last minute i cancelled. After Darrell was killed i put the bike up for sale, and said to my self, im done! But things change and my outlook on riding changed also! Everytime that i ride, i feel like someone is watching me. Today i still think, of what would have happened if i where there, i never know!
And ealier this year another friend was also killed on his bike. We are not invinceable, in away way or form.
Please ride safe and smart!

i lost two friends at work in span of one month this summer plus when i read about some of the accidents posted here lately it has me thinking as well i have seen two people die in front of me many years ago on bikes and one of those crashes is in my memory like it just happend 5 minuets ago, it has always bothered me that one, but i guess not enough to finally hang it up i guess i have just come to the conclusion that i am in the Lords hands and i must live my life and not worry about what might be i have slowed down though as i have gottin older and not so quick to risk things like when i was a youngster

Thankyou for the post
thumb_up.gif

thnks for posting your thoughs as i have them too. too many accidents...sometimes think if it's worth it.

a bud of mine over here was hit by a car trying to pass him on the left in a left hand turn at 5mph and his ankle and calf got busted up bad. this guy could ride too [experienced], and is always a "mature rider".

could happen anywhere, anytime. yet i still ride. i love the feeling, since the first time i twisted the throttle on my first bike...i felt weightless, like i was flying, i love that feeling.

thanks again.

Ron, my heart goes out to your family.

I let the bike sit for a couple weeks because it's been pretty cold lately. Today, I rounded up all my cold-weather gear and took the bike to work today. The hoodie and the heavy gloves and jacket made it tough to move. Limited motion. I thought about what it would be like to crash. The old, "What if I die today?" question went through my head and I had only been on the bike for five minutes.

I decided a long time ago that there are two ways for me to die. 1. In a sedentary, "safe" setting or 2. Doing something I love doing. I pick #2. The bike is what I love doing the most outside the bedroom. So I do it. I think, once in a while, about the possibility of getting hurt but the fact is, I love to ride. I'm not going to allow myself to do something stupid that limits how much riding I can do. I'll admit, I've had my moments, to be sure, but overall, I ride safe. Not only do I not want to die, and have to stop riding, but I don't want to get injured and not be able to ride.

Peer pressure works on me, both for good and bad. Two weeks ago, I went riding with a new group. The proceeded to ride a remote road at over 150-ish. It wasn't beyond the Busa's ability but it was an unfamiliar road to me and it had a lot of side roads and it was in an area with a lot of retirees. A recipe for disaster. I gave them a lot of room and brought up the rear. After a while, though, I finally peeled off and went on my own with a bud.

I've been thinking about that ever since. I felt stupid and frankly, I didn't enjoy the ride.

I ride safe and will be more safe now. That doesn't mean I don't exceed the speed limits from time to time but I don't ride crazy in heavy traffic, ever. I don't speed at night. I stay within my abilities on familiar canyon roads and well below my ability on new roads. I wear full gear ALL the time. No exceptions or I don't ride. Period. I get called a Power Ranger from time to time and I find it a compliment. I let my hair got haywire at work because it's an advertisement that I'm wearing a helmet every time I get on that bike.

After that track day in September, I have a better dimension for my riding in the future. I no longer have a need to ride balls to the walls on public roads. Well, maybe one ball now! :;-):

I'm in the position of not having to worry about kids and of having a wife who feels as I do. She knows that if I die on the bike, it will be a sad day but a day worth celebrating in the sense that I went out totally happy.

There have been way too many deaths and other accidents in the last couple of years. I hope this trend reverses itself but I also think that more bikers is going to mean more incidents.

Stay cool and keep your brains turned on. We're an older group of riders and we don't have testosterone poisoning any more for the most part. We can be survivors.

--Wag--

I used to Ride like a "Bat out of HELL",   but Losing my Best Friend and the fact that I crashed during a High Speed turn Breaking the Collar Bone kinda made me Hang it up for a Few Years (15 to be Exact)

I know I am Always talking about having the Fastest Color but that is an Inside Joke when I ride with the " Busa GANG ". I ALLWAYS bring up the Rear
SHOCKED.gif

Now 15 Years later I don't Give a Rat's As. what people think. Ride within your limits and enjoy the Numbered Days that the Good Lord has Given US.
please.gif

Your absolutly right, it can happen in the blink of an eye, one minute your riding, the next your sliding across an intersection, bike spinning round and round, because some cager made a left turn in front of you. I'm speaking from experience. Thank God, I wore my gear. Dress for the crash, and not the ride.

I'll add my thoughts just because I think this is a great discussion. To Thrasher I say God Bless and my prayers are with you and your family. I have lost a few friends to riding. Most of them were being incredibly stupid, no gear and drinking. As I got older I slowed down a bit. I had my son, then a divorce and became a single daddy. That day changed everything about my life. I now was the sole proprietor to my son. He told me that he would cry if I died when he was four years old. He is six now. I can't help but think what would happen to my son if something happened to me. So I did what every parent does I think. I got my Last Will and Testament done and started to think. Was I afraid of living or dying. I asked my son the same question just to see what the simplicity of a youthful mind would say. He told me he would rather have fun doing the things he wanted to do than die bored(I shortened the answer up a bit). So I came to the conclusion that life is about living. It is what we do while we are here on Earth that makes the journey worth it. Turning negative experiences into positive lessons. Making bad things good. The death of my friends taught me a positive lesson about safety. My divorce gave me the opportunity to be the best damn father in the world. It's true, ask my boy!! And the list goes on and on. So I will ride. I will take all the precautions I can. And I know that when God is done with me here it really doesn't matter wether I'm ready or not. Well, I've got to take my boy to school.

Very well spoken.

I had a car pull out in front of me & I hit it broadside at 70 mph 10-4-1987. (Yeah a long time ago.) I have nerve damage in my left leg & got a totalled bike. She had no insurance. I quit riding & racing to concentrate on my career for 15 years before I got another bike.

3 years ago a lady pulled out AGAIN & I hit her broadside. I ended up having knee surgery. My Wife was behind me on her bike & witnessed the whole thing.

Before she started riding we discussed the possible hazards or even death that could arrise from this sport. She rode 12K last year & rides on the track. She has been down once (hit a piece of vinyl siding in road) full gear & not a scratch.

The last time at the track 5 people were careflighted out - makes you think.

It puts everything in a different perspective when something like this happens.

A few years back, it seems there was someone I knew that lost their life riding every year. (or got seriously hurt) Personally, I was very nervous getting back on after my worst crash. The bottom line is, riding is dangerours. But, you can also get killed in a car, or a plane, or just plain walking down the street. So, will you stop driving a car or flying?

Bottom line IMO is that some people do not belong on bikes. Now don't take this the wrong way, there are people driving cars I see every day that have no business being behind the wheel. Riding one of the fastest production bikes isn't helping the issue.

For me, I will not stop riding. I get too much enjoyment out of it, and I'm hooked on riding (and other adrenaline generating activities). I accept the fact that I may get hurt or killed riding. But I do everything in my power to minimize the chances. Safe riding comes from: experience (seat time), education (track time&msf), and situational awareness.

RIP fallen riders......

Although I havn't had the opportunity to ride my busa after my low side the first part of Sept., I can't wait to get back on it. I love riding, and I love the busa. I will however take more precautions. I'm going to upgrade some of my gear. I have promissed myself to slow down some, although with the exceptions of a few group rides, I ride close to the posted limits. I ride by myself most of the time and I will not ride with peeps who want to show everyone what they can do. Most of my org brother and sisters are fun to ride with and ride within their skill level, and I have total confidence in their ability and judgement. I find most people who own a busa have nothing to prove to anyone. I want to thank thrasherfox for this post, and I hope it will cause everyone of the org members to step back and evaluate the way we ride, and to make some adjustments and take additional precautions so that we can continue to enjoy the thing we all love to do with the best chance for a safe and enjoyable ride. Please pass along my best regards to your Father in law and let him know he has alot of members thinking about him.

I am Busabru's father. He knew how to ride a busa and had may miles on it. The '08 was different than his old one. He went to a Big Dog but his love was the busa. I now have the Big Dog and will forever wish my son had listened to my words of caution. I told him it takes a split second for something to go wrong. He told me he knew he had a baby on the way, and a great future ahead of him. A loving wife and many great friends. I feel if he had lived to see the babies face he would have forgotten some of the thrill of speed on the Busa. If you out there are going to ride fast sportbikes fast.... buy a lot of life insurance! IF you cannot get full coverage and life insurance to protect your family DONT RIDE! I miss my son more that anyone can conceive! You young ones out there remember that parents don't keep telling you to be careful for their health. They are saying it for yours! They love you and want to see you tomorrow and the next day and right on. PLease please please be careful! Speed does KILL! It took my son from his mom and I and most of all his wife and CHILD!!!!
please excuse and errors I did not reread

No parent should have to outlive their child. My heart goes out to you, Man.

--Wag--

James is missed by many... We are sorry for your lose, though I never actually met him I knew several folks that did. Patrick, John J, and the likes, I use to tell them when I was out in SC to pin a picture of your kids on your speedometer! Folks becareful, cause you just never know..

I am Busabru's father.  He knew how to ride a busa and had may miles on it.  The '08 was different than his old one. He went to a Big Dog but his love was the busa.  I now have the Big Dog and will forever wish my son had listened to my words of caution.  I told him it takes a split second for something to go wrong.  He told me he knew he had a baby on the way, and a great future ahead of him.  A loving wife and many great friends.  I feel if he had lived to see the babies face he would have forgotten some of the thrill of speed on the Busa.  If you out there are going to ride fast sportbikes fast.... buy a lot of life insurance! IF you cannot get full coverage and life insurance to protect your family  DONT RIDE!  I miss my son more that anyone can conceive! You young ones out there remember that parents don't keep telling you to be careful for their health.  They are saying it for yours!  They love you and want to see you tomorrow and the next day and right on.  PLease please please be careful!  Speed does KILL! It took my son from his mom and I and most of all his wife and CHILD!!!!
please excuse and errors I did not reread
Mr. Haselden

As hard as that was to read coming from James' Father, I know that it had to be very difficult for you to express you feelings here.  Sincere thanks to you for taking the time to share part of the emotions you are going through.  Hopefully it will make some of the members think about the consequences of some of their actions and what their family members must go through if they are severely or fatally injured.  

You bring up a good point about insurance. In my many years of different types of racing, riding motorcycles, and a decade working as a reserve law enforcement officer, I have seen several families that suffered severe financial hardship due to injuries or death. Everyone here needs to know that it can happen to them and prepare for an event we all hope and pray will not happen.

We have chosen to experience the excitement this sport/hobby can offer. But we also must analyze the risk very carefully, exercise restraint, and not get caught up in the thrill of it.  Exposing ourselves to excessive risk could have dire consequences.    

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and James' entire family as you struggle through your loss.

Sincerely
Rick Howell

Back