MY INPUT ON ACCIDENTS AND RIDING

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I started to post this in the thread about Busbru and his accident

( https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=6;t=82340;st=0 )

And decide due to length and it deviating from the original topic that it would best to start a new thread, so here it is.

I guess I will jump in here and spew forth my 2 cents.

As some of you may or may have not noticed. I am not around as much lately.

All the accidents that have happened over the last year or so culminated with my father in-law losing his leg when he was riding his less than a month old Harley Davidson and a cement truck hit him pretty much head on and ripped his left leg off.

He is alive, but has been in a medical rehab facility for the last 3 months. He almost didn't make it. he was bleeding out on the road. someone at the scene was able to pull it together emotionally long enough to place a tourniquet on his leg (above the knee, nothing but a mangled mess below the knee) which saved his life.

The final result of his accident is that his left leg was amputated just below the groin area. There is a small stump there but it is so small they are having a difficult time getting a prosthetic limb to attach to it properly.

My father in-law was retired, had no bills, was working as a camp site maintenance person. Had his trailer on the site, had a girl friend, lived up in northern California in the mountains. Life was pretty good for him. And in a blink of an eye his life is forever changed, I guess the bright side is at least he still has a life, even though he has 100's of thousands of dollars in medical bills which he will probably never be able to pay off and his entire life style for the most part will have to change, some changes will be short term, some long term (try getting into a bathtub / shower with one leg. Try sitting on the toilet with one leg, etc.)

Up until this accident I had been slowing down a bit, this accident pretty much put me over the top.

I still have my Busa, and I still ride it (mainly to and from work at the moment) but have pretty much lost all desire for high speeds and adrenaline pumping rides.

The only ride I have been on in the last 6 months I think was with a group of cruisers last month. There were about 8 cruisers and me. I pretty much stayed in the back the entire ride and just cruised on the Busa.

It was a bunch of Christians on cruisers and it honestly was just a real nice relaxing time.

My wife asked me if I were going to trade the Busa in for a Cruiser and I said no, I was used to sports bikes and have been riding them for over 20 years, if I tried to get used to a cruiser I told her I would probably kill myself.

I guess my main point is I am lucky (in numerous ways) I have been able to control my throttle hand and control the bike and not let the bike control me. I have known a few peeps over the last few years that could not control themselves when they got on their sports bikes, but felt their riding style was going to get them killed so they actually got rid of the sports bike and traded them in for cruisers.

I am thinking if I was having a difficult time controlling my throttle impulses I would probably have got rid of the Busa already or would be close to getting rid of it.

As others have eluded to.. way too many people going down lately, some for permantly. And it has hit close to home for me.

With Busabru"¦. I never knew the guy, but thinking he just came from a cruiser, was excited and stoked about his new Busa and just over extended on his riding abilities (that is what it possibly sounds like)

Almost teared up when I first read the post about Busabru, came close.. kept thinking about his wife and his unborn child.. and more about his unborn child. Those of you who know me know how important my children are to me.. cant imagine making them grow up without me, or putting my wife in a position to have to raise 3 boys by herself.

People, wear your gear, control your throttle don't let the bike control you.

Know when and where to have fun, ride UNDER your abilities not over your abilities.

Don't EVER ride to impress ANYONE, people need to realize when a person is riding to impress others, it is usually obvious, especially to veteran riders, and all the person ends up looking like is an idiot AND places themselves and others in danger.

When a person is doing a 130mph wheelie on a freeway, people that are watching will go "MAN THAT IS FRICKEN AWESOME!!!!. Hey whats for lunch? What are we doing tonight?"￾

Get the point? 30 second adrenaline rush isn't worth a lifetime of change for numerous people.

If you have a bad accident on the street and take yourself out, best case scenario is you only take yourself out and no one else. And even then you have an entire group of family and friends who lives will forever be impacted, some of which could be severely impacted.

Worse case scenario is you take someone (or multiple people) out. Then you have changed the lives of countless people. All for a quick adrenaline rush or even worse just to show off to your friends, who wont really give a crap anyway.

Sometimes we push the limits to have fun, sometimes we miss judge the environment and sometimes accidents happen, but there would be a lot less deaths, a lot less accidents as of late if people were more conscious of their surroundings and more importantly their own personal riding abilities.

Sorry to hear about your father in law thrasher that really suxs and I agree Throttle Control and wearing the right gear make a huge difference key thing is to get folks to do it and use it.

Well thought out and put...

There will always be "accidents"... I have ridden big street bikes since the mid 70's as have many of the members here (surprising the ages of most Busa riders)

Every day presents its own "near misses" and I have resigned myself to that fact.. Every day I ride, someone or something is going to try and spill me on to the pavement. I have managed at this point to avoid them all (it only takes 1)

I do refuse to ride paranoid (even if they are out to get me) I just maintain my "situational awareness" and enjoy my ride all the same. This is not a Sunday cruise in the family wagon.

As long as my mojo tells me I can handle my bike and the traffic, I will ride....

I think most riders are going to push their limits on occasion. I agree with you that there is a time and place for this and I can say with the members I have ridden with here, they pick them well...

A moment of carelessness can lead to a lifetime of regret..

Common sense goes a long way to keeping us all safer.
thumb_up.gif

I agree 100%. Juvenile moments on the busa can have a lasting effect. I've been a bit "cautious" for the past few years and have taken a liking to "track days". I save my agressive riding for VIR.

great post

Chris

It is getting harder and harder to enjoy the sport, isn't it? I think all of us have stories to share, things that happen to close to home that only hinder something we enjoy...I've told you in a PM Ron, I am so sorry to hear that your father-in-law's life was forever changed that fateful day. I know it's hard to distance yourself from what happened to him...it raises valid concerns over your own riding, you own family, your kids...

Mike and I have tossed around selling too...we don't even get time to ride enough anymore; the kids and their wants and needs take precedence over everything else in our lives...there are days when I really do think it's nuts for two parents to ride, and then we take that long anticipated trip and get back home just fine, have fun along the way...

Reading thread after thread this year after so many have gone down and far too many of those didn't survive, well, I don't know what I think anymore...I'm honestly torn between being a good Mom and sticking around for my kids, and a hobby that I truly enjoy...I keep telling myself that I'll be OK ride after ride, but I'd be lying if I don't pull away from our home, waving to the kids, and wonder if I'll see 'em again
sad.gif
It's a sickening feeling at times...

I don't know what the ultimate outcome will be at this point...will I be the one that determines that final outcome? That's the question that haunts me
sad.gif

Stay safe everyone...

sad.gif

I can assure you from a first hand experience that my desire to haul ass is over. I was running about 50 when I hit the truck that pulled out in front of me a few months ago, it was a life changing attitude adjustment.... I still very vividly remember asking everyone where my son was at, was he ok.. I wanted to hear his voice.... the only thing on my mind was my son...... He was on the Goldwing behind me with my father and they saw my crash.... I realized that day that Im not as tough as I used to be, I could have very easily left my kids without a dad and my wife without a husband... In my case I can say that I did it all right, going the speed limit, wearing the right gear, taking the right action, giving as much of the RIGHT brake that I could, if there was a chance to get out of it unscathed I was dressed for success. Today I sit here cleared of all medical issues, I am as ugly as ever and as dumb to boot. Will I give up riding, no way will I change my riding habits? ABSOLUTELY.... I very easliy could have died in my crash all the components were there, speed, energy and a truck in the way.... I will not live life as a victim or as the kid in the plastic bubble (does that date me that I remember that movie with John travolta from 1976) I will however gear up better, slow down and ride smarter.... If I crash again I will once again have the best chance of survival and I will not take anything on the street for granted. My wife and kids mean too much to me to be stupid.

I keep putting those news snippits up about non geared riders crashing and dieing in wrecks because of no helmet or gear... Please please please wear your gear

Great thread Ron....

It is getting harder and harder to enjoy the sport, isn't it?  I think all of us have stories to share, things that happen to close to home that only hinder something we enjoy...I've told you in a PM Ron, I am so sorry to hear that your father-in-law's life was forever changed that fateful day.  I know it's hard to distance yourself from what happened to him...it raises valid concerns over your own riding, you own family, your kids...

Mike and I have tossed around selling too...we don't even get time to ride enough anymore; the kids and their wants and needs take precedence over everything else in our lives...there are days when I really do think it's nuts for two parents to ride, and then we take that long anticipated trip and get back home just fine, have fun along the way...

Reading thread after thread this year after so many have gone down and far too many of those didn't survive, well, I don't know what I think anymore...I'm honestly torn between being a good Mom and sticking around for my kids, and a hobby that I truly enjoy...I keep telling myself that I'll be OK ride after ride, but I'd be lying if I don't pull away from our home, waving to the kids, and wonder if I'll see 'em again  
sad.gif
 It's a sickening feeling at times...

I don't know what the ultimate outcome will be at this point...will I be the one that determines that final outcome?  That's the question that haunts me
sad.gif

Stay safe everyone...

This is how I have taken a look at it no matter what you ride or ride in when the Lord call's you home it your time and that's all there is to it.  He is our father and when he say's it is time it is time we just have to hope and pray and do the best that we can by our families, son and daughters at this moment. Don't live for tomorrow live for today because that is all you can do.

sad.gif

Thanks for sharing, thrasherfox

When a friend, relative, or fellow board member gets hurt, or when I actually witness a crash, or even when I see nasty footage of motorcycle accidents, I feel exactly that way. My method to overcome it and keep riding (60 miles daily commute + weekend sport ride) is to review my risk management homework. Fisrt step is to decide the level of risk that I accept, and then work to reach it. Interiorizing the risk, having a plan, and making the effort to put it in practice motivates me to be a safer rider.

It seems weird, but being more aware of the actual risk and the potential consequences of a risk situation makes me actually enjoy reducing speed, increase the safety distance, widen the field of view, increase the scanning pace, or plan evasive action (to name a few mitigation actions)

I still like to haul when conditions allow (no traffic, no crossings, no dirt, no blind curves). And not having yet a ´Busa reduces substantially the risk!

Saturday I took my son out for a ride. We rode to Sears and then a backroad. He had fun. As we started to put it away, I asked him if he wanted to take the bike to his soccer game on Thursday. It was an enthusiastic Yes.

Monday I took the bike to work, and I started thinking would something happen to me on the ride to work? Would my promise to my son to take him on to soccer on the Busa be an empty promise? It was a very sad feeling. I rode a little more cautiously to work that day.

Next week, I give him his PW 80. I know he will enjoy it, but sometimes I wonder what if he injures himself while riding. What if permanently? What if he breaks his neck? I can't help but think those things, but also know that you have to live life.

I've decided that I would rather live life and enjoy it while taking risks rather than be scared and not try anything. One of my favorite quotes:
"I decided that one of my goals in life was to be adventurous, to be open enough to take the occasional risk. For rich experiences lead to rich memories, and in the end, memories are all we have." - Sydney Biddle Barrows

well said thrasherfox, sorry to hear about your father-in-law, in my thoughts and prayers

Sorry to hear about your Father-in-law. Thanks for caring enough to post this. Everytime you read something like this it puts things in perspective. We are not invincible, life is a fragile thing and anything can happen anytime, be it your fault or not. A post like this only makes you realize that and make yourself more aware. I think most of the people here are well aware of the risk they are taking when riding a motorcycle, its just good to have someone point out every now and then about being careful.

A very good read with lots of good advice. Thanks, all. This thread has all the makings of 'family' in it.

Glad to be here.

I will admit, all these fatal accidents lately have spooked me a bit too.

I've been a member of way too many sportbike forums to list and, honestly, have never see so many bad accidents posted on one in such a short period of time in my life. Maybe it's the nature of the 'Busa I guess? Dunno... I sure hope not.

I've got my first bike in 1986 (an 83' Intercepter 700F) and have been very fortunate to only have a few minor scrapes since then. Nothing a pair of pliers wouldn't allow me to ride home from and nothing I couldn't bandage up myself.

Three times. To be exact.

And I do my best to keep it that way.
thumb_up.gif

great write thrasherfox

A great problem in riding with others is you always have ego's to deal with.Or should I say FOOLS who don't have a clue.Foolish.Think they are too good to go down.Nobodies that good,just watch MotoGP or AMA.Sadly 90% of sport bike riders just don't get it.Not picking on anyone,just what I see on the streets.I ride hard when I'm alone,by my choice,not with others.I have nothing to proove.

there are motorcycle riders then there are people who own motorcycles.not the same.

Ron,
Thanks for including us on your personal situation. It sure makes the read mean so much more. The life changing event you talk about sure got me thinking about fate and the future. You could have lived a very successful life, reaching retirement relatively care free and in an instant, everything is turned upside down.
I hope for the best regarding your father in law's physical recovery and future dealing with the aftermath..
Something about me, reaching over 30 years of age, makes me think that I would like to live a long injury free life. So, I better re-evaluate before hopping back on the bike...
I know things can get depressing after something like this but stick around here with us anyway. Don't shy away.

My Father-in law has just been diagnosed with MS. A disease that has no cure and they don't even know what causes it. This is one of many examples of why you shouldn't not ride because you "might" get permanently hurt. You cannot control what life is going to throw at you. But you can control some of the risk in what you do.

Save the aggressive riding for remote/no-traffic roads, trackdays, and drag strips.

Those people that stop riding once they have a kid makes no sense to me. If you don't have the self-control to reduce your risks when you have a kid, you shouldn't have been riding at all in the first place.

Back