My Hayabusa...love the bike...hate the plastic

The Big Red One

Registered
I've owned quite a few plastic bikes.....but my Busa is by far the biggest pain plastic-wise. Why did Suzuki have to make the damn side panels so friggin hard to work with? The way they fit with the funny angles/plastic wings on'em makes it damn hard to get the plastic on and off without scratching it up. Plus I don't dig rolling around on the floor for ever trying to line the holes up with the moving brackets ect. They coulda made it wayyyy easier to work with if they woulda tried. This will be my last plastic bike......my days of dealing with hard to fit easily scratched/cracked fragile plastic is over. I don't have the time or patience for it.....Big Red just might become Big Naked pretty soon....
If only the naked bikes got motors like this
drooling3.gif

Sort of a mild problem to have to deal with wouldn't you say?
rock.gif
It does take some time, but the more you do it the easier it becomes. Just my $.02.
biggrin.gif

My bike is no show bike, I wear my scratces like badges or medals,gives the bike character and lets everyone know you ride it !
wink.gif

I guess when engineered Suzuki took service intervals into consideration . Oil filter every other oil change per the book . Makes a nice real synthetic and a good oil filter and annual changes worth it for me .

I don't know , I'm just typing
biggrin.gif
but the Busa seems pretty easy to deal with after some of the bikes I've worked on which makes me wonder who made the all time King of Overkill in amount of and different types plastic fasteners .

The 93-04 ZX-6E was not so neat a deal to work on . Suzuki Bandit had some crazyness going on as well .

Then enter bikes that the dang seats are a fight to get on and off . Now thats just wrong
tounge.gif

Scratches happen... we should not get too hung up over them!! Maybe get the bike to the body shop once in a while
wink.gif

Suzuki clearly put a lot of R&D into the aerodynamic design of these bikes that no one has been able to touch. Obviously the fairings play a critical role in how your bike performs at high speed.

I have had my fairings off a bunch of times, and it does get easier with experience. One tip is to put masking tape along the edge of the front cowling so the body nuts on the side panels dont scratch as you are getting it into place.

I also think the plastic looks great
biggrin.gif

My bike is no show bike, I wear my scratces like badges or medals,gives the bike character and lets everyone know you ride it !
wink.gif
I agree with you on this but damn does it have to have so much charcter. my nose gets scratched to hell tryin to put the side under it and now with the frame sliders its gotten that much harder

I hate the cosmetic scratches too but given the performance that the Busa has which is second to none I'd say the plastic cosmetic blemishes is a minor issue and won't slow the bike down.My old 94 GSXR 1100 was a pain to remove the plastic but after doing it 4-5 times it becomes a snap.Just take your time and work on your bike in a work area with lots a space and no clutter.If your working in a shed or garage you might want to consider hanging your body parts after removing them from the bike.

I'm no suzuki engineer but they probably designed it that way for a reason - probably for better aerodynamics.

I wouldn't reccomend taking the fairing off but it's up to you.

I've owned quite a few plastic bikes.....but my Busa is by far the biggest pain plastic-wise. Why did Suzuki have to make the damn side panels so friggin hard to work with? The way they fit with the funny angles/plastic wings on'em makes it damn hard to get the plastic on and off without scratching it up. Plus I don't dig rolling around on the floor for ever trying to line the holes up with the moving brackets ect. They coulda made it wayyyy easier to work with if they woulda tried. This will be my last plastic bike......my days of dealing with hard to fit easily scratched/cracked fragile plastic is over. I don't have the time or patience for it.....Big Red just might become Big Naked pretty soon....
If only the naked bikes got motors like this  
drooling3.gif
Price you pay for aerodynamics brother!

Before I ever pulled the plastics on mine to do anything...I asked some veterans on another board for advice.  Some old-timers all told me to use a piece of tape around the top of the side fairing (where it meets the nose)....it was great advice.  Now several removals / replacements later....Still looking good as new!!!  
idea.gif

Brigg  
beerchug.gif

The first time you take the plastic off it's a pain in the buns but after a few times it becomes a piece of cake. Very easy and if you have a bike stand so you can put the kickstand in the up position it makes it very easy.

The new gixxer 1K is a real pain in the buns. Much more difficult than the busa.

My biggest concern is I will break a tab after so many pulls.

Does anyone know of a way to repair a tab if this ever happens?

I've had my busa since 00 and have had no real issues with the plastics. Much easier to work with than my TL. I do forget to take out the tabs under the front cowl though! Those are a pain mainly cuz I keep forgetting about them.

Just a little patience my friend. I have worked on a few full fairing bikes, and was actually surprised at the fit and finish of my Busa's plastic the first time I got her nekkid. It can be tedious to get all the tabs interlocked, but not really difficult. The bracket underneath the front that ties the two lowers together can be easily reached through the opening in the very bottom of the plastic. Helps if you leave one end of it attached to one of the lowers. If you do remove it completely, get both bolts started before tightening.

Once you learn the way the body goes together and do it a few times, it's cake. I think i could remove and install my bodywork blindfolded.

Please mail your "hated" plastics to me - don't care what color they are. I can use them as spares.
smile.gif

Guys thanks for all the suggestions and support. I've only had each panel off once so far and I am learning.....I've found out that for me leaving the small plastic piece connected to the front of the side panel on the bike by unscrewing the 3 screws helps alot (the owners manual is very weak about explaining the panel removal procedure). And I get ALL the bolts in before aligning/tightening them. One thing I can say is that Suzuki's plastic is wayy thicker and tougher than the other sport bikes I've owned.....you don't have to worry about tightening a bolt a hair too much and crack!
wow.gif

I guess I just need a little more patience. I do still miss my nakeds where I could do almost everything without removing ANYthing.....ahh those were the days
wink.gif

Back