New Plastics?

JRoberts1983

Registered
Lookin for a set of new, non-OEM (too damned expensive) plastics for the bike. I love the black and red 06 color scheme. Current plastics are just showing some wear and tear and I fuss like hell about even the smallest little scratches (hence my dilemma). Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a set of these, I've heard references to chinese plastics but I'll be damned if I can find them.

Couldnt hurt to point out that the bike is in fact a Gen 1... kinda implied it anyways, but...

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a set of these, I've heard references to chinese plastics but I'll be damned if I can find them.

Couldnt hurt to point out that the bike is in fact a Gen 1... kinda implied it anyways, but...

Hope this helps: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/139417-gen-1-hong-kong-plastics-pics.html

AUCTMART fairings: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/127662-gixxer-pics.html

Have you thought about a paint job? If they are not broken I would check around for prices on a professional paint job.

Have talked to several body shops, my only concern is the frame slider on the right is totally butchered, bought the bike used and its... unsightly. Would take a mighty fine plastic weld job to take care of such an atrocity.

IMG_8903.jpg

Have talked to several body shops, my only concern is the frame slider on the right is totally butchered, bought the bike used and its... unsightly. Would take a mighty fine plastic weld job to take care of such an atrocity.

Cut the butchering out very neatly to match on both sides and lay in a rubber grommet around the slider.

Here are my after market plastic. Comes painted, and ALL the plastic. The plastic that covers all the wires, up under the nose, every peace you need. For $625 delivered takes about a month and you have it painted and ready to install. Mine was perfect fit. And this place say OEM fit. This is one of the few that say it. They will do any color you want you just have to show them...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308239278.367623.jpg

If you like I will send you the rest of the info

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308239278.367623.jpg

That looks like sliders made out of metals.Its totally wrong,it should be made out of Derlin a kind of plastic.When the bike goes down while travelling,which one will protect the bike more?The metal or plastic rubbing against the road?

I was at a shop yesterday, saw a set of plastics off the gen1 busa, melted/wrinkled at the bottom of the largest air vent on both sides. I exclaimed, "what is that? The paint didn't set right?", shop owner replied, "that's aftermarket fairings for ya!". May be worth piecing OEM's together off ebay. That's what I do anyway. Not saying they are no good, but you get what you pay for!
Posted via Mobile Device

Black Sheep, I did a custom paint job on my bike and i was a newbie painter. There about a zillion things that can go wrong with the paint job and it has nothing to do with the plastics...it is about the painter. Not that it is the painter's fault...when the company makes plastics they use a chemical in the plastic that promotes "release" from the mould. If the painter is not experienced with this terrible phenomenon they get this "lift" or wrinkling. You have to use a plastic adhesion spray first before spraying your primer coat...don't ask me how i know about all of this stuff:laugh: The main thing black sheep..if you can find the plastics that fit the bike correctly they can be painted...

I re-read what I posted. I forgot to mention or wasn't clear, the shop owner said the owner of the bike bought them- put them on and they melted/wrinkled. They had not been altered after purchasing and they melted.

That is why the bike owner brought them in. To be sanded, fixed and repainted. I believe OEM are made from a superior material than what aftermarket plastics are composed of. I'm no expert, but I know what I'll be using on my bike.
Posted via Mobile Device

My bet is the owner forgot they do not come with the heat shields. I took mine off the OEM plastic, and added a little more where I saw it was close to the heat. Even oem will melt if not insulated.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My buddy paid $850 for his I do't remember the name of the co. fit nice though. PM me and I'll look when I get home if you want

I have complete OEM body sets with custom paint, that's if you want it to look good and fit right..you can sell your old stuff and recoup some cost..

Is that slider mounted higher vertically? That's what I'm seeing....

Back