My Dad's Harley...emotional 48 hours

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
So many here know because they're on Facebook, so I apologize for the re-posting, but many aren't on FB, so I wanted to share...

The back-story - when my Dad was sick, he sold his 2006 Street Glide, never telling me until it was gone. He'd sold it to his cousin (JJ), someone he grew up with, was close to...if I had to guess, back in Nov. 2011 (Dad passed in Sept. 2012), that bike was worth maybe $13K or more, and he let it go for $6K because that's just how my Dad was. He needed $6K, he wanted it gone fast, *boom*, gone. It hurt because if he needed financial help, I wish he'd let me know, but he was too proud, and I understand that; I think those that know me well would tell me I have the same hard head :whistle: Hey, I'm not Woody's daughter for no damn reason :D

I always hated that his HD got away from Dad; he loved that bike so much, and we'd both ridden a lot together, but it was the one thing he had that he could liquidate.

At Dad's funeral, JJ followed on Dad's Harley, behind the Patriot Guard and myself, Omar, many oRg members here to honor Dad (my gosh, when I think of the oRg members and friends that made that trip, tears well up). It hurt so much to know Dad's own bike was in the funeral procession, yet comforting I guess, somehow...anyway, I told JJ to please let me know if he wants to sell it, I want it back. I honestly never thought he'd let that HD go; it was such a great deal.

I got that call on Tuesday, and I had 24 hours to let him know. I've never worked so hard or so quickly to secure funds. I posted on FB about it, just heartbroken that Dad's Harley was just a few miles from my house, that I'd passed it off and on for 4 years now, breaking down every time, thinking I'd never have it, knowing how it had to leave our family, worried there was just no way I could swing this, now. The outpouring from friends from here, from my years in high school, heck, even the infusion nurse I see regularly that also happened to be my Dad's favorite nurse when he was getting chemo - all offered to help me get Dad's Harley back. Like Dad though, I cannot accept help like that, but man, again, tears welled up over and over, with every offer, every call, every text, every post. I finally told Omar that I was more moved by my friends than fear of letting the Harley go :cry: I realize just how fortunate I am, and Omar supported me fully in realizing I needed to get Dad's bike back.

So, I now am ready to be razzed...I have Dad's Harley, and 2 Busas (I do own Omar's Busa ya know) :) Sorry for the book, but it's been a tough time this week, and on the heels of saying "see you later" and some tears with dear friends from our meet and greet...I'm getting too old for this...

Dad rode with many here several times, even when he had his 1200 Sportster. I have a group shot of one of our rides and his Street Glide is front and center, which I always found so funny for a "Busa gathering"...he loved that the oRg gang was so cool, and he loved to ride...

I was so happy to see that JJ left the Harley intact, down to the Air Force emblem Dad had put on the front fender...he was a Vietnam Vet and above all else, that tiny part of his bike being as he left it makes me smile.

Dad.jpg

DadsHD.jpg

Dads1200.jpg

HDBusas.jpg

HDBusas2.jpg

DadsHDMe.jpg

DadsHDMe2.jpg

DadsHDHome.jpg

DadsHDRideHome.jpg

DadsHDAF.jpg

20150617_191019-1.jpg

Awesome awesome story guys.... I can't tell you how happy I am that you got the scoot back. Congratulations....

Even if you are an overdressed Harley rider (FB reference)... You still need the halter top and flip flop picture on the Glide..... LOLOLOL

Glad it all worked out.

Sentimental Gurly, are you going to hang a pink fuzzy on it?

Ahhhh, Omar found the pic I've been looking for! ECHR photo op, Dad's HD somehow ended up front and center :)

That's my Dad, on the left...and the Street Glide I just rode home and parked in our garage :thumbsup:

DadGroupBusaPic.jpg

That had to be truly special for 'Chelle! You can rest a little easier now.

Variety is the spice of life. NOTHING wrong with having multiple bikes in the garage.

So Glad everything worked out for you and you got something back that you thought you might never see again.
Who knows someday you might hand that down to one of your boys.

Omar better get busy building that garage/shed/motorcycle storage building. :laugh:
That or a trailer like mine is going to be in your near future. :rofl:

By the way - I'm NOT on FB so this is the first I'm hearing about this - Thanks for posting here too, otherwise I'd never have known. :thumbsup:

It's taken...6 character limit

He loved Motown music, but that's taken too :( MOETWN wasn't, and neither was his last name...WOODY is taken, which would have been perfect (that's his name)...

I'm still tossing things around, want it to mean something...

Plate ideas.

MYDADS

LOOKUP

RIPDAD

LUVDAD

FRMDAD

RIDEON

AIRDAD

BSTDAD

FLYDAD

How about his initials?

I'm sure you will think of something. Your the creative type.

His last name is available, so I think we'll get that...I sent that idea to my sister in Colorado and she liked it too...Dad was always looking for anyone with his same last name in other cities around the country, his Dad was fascinated with the history of name (it's a town in England), he had coffee mugs with the name on it, a family crest, you name it, so I think it fits. I even recall him having that plate on his T-Bird at one time.

I've still got to register the bike, just been so busy...

Thanks for all of the ideas gang!

Back