My bowhunting trip

jefferycarman

Lost and confused
Donating Member
Registered
Well,

I am officially into bow hunting and had my first real pulse pounding time.

For those who don't want to hear about blood, guts and/or bambi's relatives taking arrows please stop reading :poke:

I went out Saturday with a close friend to an area we had previously gone to and seen little action. We decided to head into a area slightly closer to a nearby golf course and apple orchard.

Steve, who only has a spacer in his left knee while he is waiting for a infection to clear up so they can put a knee back in, is only able to get a few yards off of the clean trails, so we picked a spot for him and I proceeded to hike in a bit.

I found a fairly well used game trail and decided to follow it till I found a good place to set up.

What I came on was a downed tree where the root system had left a large hole in the ground and a small pool of water had gathered. It had three trails coming into it, all with fresh tracks and other signs of recent activity, so I decided this would be a good spot to look for a setup point. As I looked around I found two trees that fell and rolled to a rest side by side just uphill from the water hole. After further inspection it was a perfect place to take a shot on all three trails, anything coming down the ravine, and was overlooking the edge of the tree line. All in all it was a pretty great spot. Please bear in mind this is my first time bowhunting, and I had never previously even fired at an animal. I may still need to learn a bit :moon:

So I got settled in to position. Got myself into a very well concealed but easy to shoot from position and began the waiting game.

I sat patiently listening to the woodland sounds. Off in the distance a woodpecker was going to work digging bugs from a tree. The breeze was ever so gently blowing my scent from the watering hole. Then began the sounds of something coming throught the brush on the far side of the watering hole. The anticipation was unbearable, but I sat and waited. After about twenty minutes of slow walking through the woods I could estimate that whatever it was only had another couple of minutes before it hit the clearing and would be approaching the watering hole.

My adrenaline was pumping, the predatory instincts were going, I could hear every tree it brushed against, every twig snapped. The hoofs hitting the hard dirt.

Then much to my suprise a loud snapped came from behind me and slightly to the right.

I had heard nothing coming from the direction. The focus being so much in front of me, and the fact that animals are amazing quiet without even trying.

Ever so slowly I turned my head and out of the corner of my eye I see a buck standing no more than 15 yards up the hill from me.

If I thought my heart was going before, now it was in complete nuclear metldown mode.

At this point I made the decision, I have both deer and elk bow tags, that I was going to attempt to make a shot on this buck.

As slowly and quietly as I possibly could I began to turn so I could get the shot. Once or twice the buck paused and looked around, but he never really seemed to notice where I was or seemed to be threatened by the noise.

After what seemed like a lifetime I finally got my body to an angle I could shoot from. My hands were shaking, my heart was racing. I was about to take my first shot on an animal with a bow from 15 yards. Full broadside.

The hunters out there can probably describe this feeling pretty well. For a first shot I could not have asked for a better spot.

I pulled back to a full draw and the bow made an ever so slight tweak sound. The buck looked in my direction and tensed. My body and mind went into a state of pure relaxation. Making the shot or not, at this point I felt like I had already accomplished more than I thought I would on my first entirely solo run.

With the bow still at a full draw I waited for the buck to relax his body and resume what he was doing. At the point I felt I couldn't hold the draw too much longer I let loose my arrow.

The shot was true. It hit just behind the shoulder in the "kill zone". The deer reacted to the shot by jumping a bit and making a squealing sound. This suprised me, as I had not been told about squeals, and then he took off.

This is where I had to learn real patience. Being so pumped about not just making the shot but hitting solid and on the mark made it difficult to not just run after the deer. But I parked myself and waited forty five minutes like I had been suggested to do.

Thus began the first tracking experience for me. I tracked the buck through dense forest, across a creek, up a hill and through more dense forest. Did I mention the dense forest?

After about 160 yards of blood, and what I thought was a lot, I came across a dime sized drop next to a deep set hoof print going up hill. I marked my last blood spot and proceeded to look for the next spot.

And nothing. I went up the trail he was following for 75 yards. No blood. I did circles out from the last blood spot and nothing. I looked down hill from the last spot thinking maybe he dove off the trail to hide. Nothing. No blood, no prints, nothing looked even disturbed.

After three hours of searching I went back to meet with Steve and get some more water and food. It just so happened that Scott, a relative of Steve's and a local to the area, wasn't doing anything and decided to come and check on us. He was walking up the road as I was traveling back to the truck. So we talked for a few minutes, and him being the experienced hunter, familiar with the area, and having pulled several deer out of this area volunteered to help me find my buck.

The two of us traveled back in, refollowed the trail out. Found my arrow and came to the same point. Even with all his experience and meticulous searching we found not another trace.

So feelilng a bit dejected, and having used the rest of my day and energy searching for my animal, we decided to call the search off after six hours of painstaking hunting.

In the end I did not get a trophy, but I got a ton of experience from this. I can see a few places where I made mistakes. As I think back through the scenario I can see where I could have improved my chances of finding him after the shot. Although I will still take any advice/tips that people who know what there doing want to throw at me.

For those interested, upon examing the arrow, 24 inches of arrow went into the buck. The arrow got tangled on a tree about 30 yards from the point of impact and ripped back out. We can only assume that he had slowed to a walk and clotted up, thus ending the blood trail, hit some hard dirt, and thus no tracks, and proceeded to go houdini on me.

I am still pumped even though I didn't get my trophy or meat. I really wanted some deer burgers :banghead:

Sorry for the wall of text, but if you made it this far thanks for sharing in my experience.

Welcome To the world of BowHunting. They will alot of times stop bleeding. The deer is laying out there somewhere but they can be impossible to find. Take a bottle of peroxide next time as spaying on blood makes the blood more visible. It'll foam from the Bacteria. Don't expect to have the same luck seein deer like you did unless you're in a heavily populated area. I know your rush, Had it many times and it never goes away. If it does, time to quit hunting. Keep your broadheads sharp and Happy Hunting. I was on Wayne Pearson's advisory staff years ago and did a lot of archery tournaments and hunting. Some of the most rewarding days of my life. Had a Blast. Oh, I will sell my Mathews outback if anyones interested. Jam up shape with all the goodies.:thumbsup:

The body was beamed to Bambi heaven :laugh:
With the over population....bow season should be year round IMO.

Better luck next time.

Excellent write up! Don't apologize for painting the picture for us. I could feel the anticipation and adrenaline through the post.. :bowdown:

Glad you got something. With the thousands of wrecks every year in SC I hope you get a dozen more this season :thumbsup:

You took the deer behind the shoulder, arrow went in 24 inches and then fell out up the trail? I've been a hunting with a bow for a very long time and I've never seen a deer 24 inches thick. Good write up by the way. I have no idea what happened but your arrow should have penetrated all the way through the deer if you reall did place the arrow behind the shoulder blade.

I've been hunting with a bow for a very very long time. I've killed everything known to mankind other than an Ex-wife :whistle: I have taken everything from Grizzly Bear, Black Bear, Moose, Elk, Goat, Sheep, Hog, Antelope, Coyote, Bobcat, Deer, and the list goes on. This much I can tell you, if you shot a deer from 15 yards behind the shoulder and it didn't go clean through, fletching and all, you need to throw that bow away and get a heavier bow. I wouldn't think of hunting with less than 70 lbs of draw weight.

I am happy to see you are into bow hunting. I fell in love with the bow long ago and have hunted exclusively with it for the past 35 years. I did take my son on one moose hunt a few years ago with firearms but that has been it. You will have tons of fun with that dang bow. Practice, Practice, Practice is the answer to being deadly. If you can put five arrows in a circle the side of a coffee cup at 20 yards, you'll do just fine!

Have fun and keep us posted on your hunting experiences. I for one, will always enjoy them! I actually have video of me killing a Grizzly in Alaska as well as a video I did myself while hunting black bear from a tree stand on the Olympic Peninsula. Memories I'll take with me to the old folks home! :thumbsup:

You took the deer behind the shoulder, arrow went in 24 inches and then fell out up the trail? I've been a hunting with a bow for a very long time and I've never seen a deer 24 inches thick. Good write up by the way. I have no idea what happened but your arrow should have penetrated all the way through the deer if you reall did place the arrow behind the shoulder blade.

I've been hunting with a bow for a very very long time. I've killed everything known to mankind other than an Ex-wife :whistle: I have taken everything from Grizzly Bear, Black Bear, Moose, Elk, Goat, Sheep, Hog, Antelope, Coyote, Bobcat, Deer, and the list goes on. This much I can tell you, if you shot a deer from 15 yards behind the shoulder and it didn't go clean through, fletching and all, you need to throw that bow away and get a heavier bow. I wouldn't think of hunting with less than 70 lbs of draw weight.

I am happy to see you are into bow hunting. I fell in love with the bow long ago and have hunted exclusively with it for the past 35 years. I did take my son on one moose hunt a few years ago with firearms but that has been it. You will have tons of fun with that dang bow. Practice, Practice, Practice is the answer to being deadly. If you can put five arrows in a circle the side of a coffee cup at 20 yards, you'll do just fine!

Have fun and keep us posted on your hunting experiences. I for one, will always enjoy them! I actually have video of me killing a Grizzly in Alaska as well as a video I did myself while hunting black bear from a tree stand on the Olympic Peninsula. Memories I'll take with me to the old folks home! :thumbsup:

We were actually a bit shocked to see that much blood on the arrow. I can only make a guess that it angled a bit off a rib or something. I do know I hit behind the shoulder, but I will admit I was so amped when I saw that hit I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. The fact that I knew I hit solid and true just got me all sorts of amped. I did ask a couple people I showed the arrow to their thoughts. It has fur and blood over a majority of the shaft, and the others all agree on the depth it went in (better hunters than I :bowdown: ). Still not a clue as to how it came out, just the guess by it's position and the damage to the tree it was by, it literally looked like the arrow caught in some low branches and stuff and wedged for a moment. As for the depth of the deer, he wasn't huge, I am not bragging about his size(just to clarify), and I don't think it could have gone in straight, but I can't tell for sure due to lack of evidence.

The area was very trafficed. I was very pleased with the look of the area, and the other guys were impressed that I was able to find it on my first solo attempt. So that was a confidence boost.

As for the bow :whistle: It's a 55lb draw. Just enough to do what I need to do. I am looking at a better bow for next year, but I didn't want to get into a bow for a couple hundred bucks (pun intended) and find out that I didn't enjoy the experience. I picked up the bow at a yard sale, don't laugh, for $5. Took it to a sporting good store and got it checked out, put the appropriate stuff on it and decided it was a great place to start.

There are a few places I need to improve. I think my shot placement was good, but if I had been more patient I could have probably gotten a better angle. I wasn't sure if he was going to turn and quarter away or towards me though. If he would have come towards me I wouldn't have had any shot. So in hindsight I think I rushed a bit, but I know that it was a rookie mistake.

I plan on going back up and making another run at that area, there was a lot of traffic and plenty of places that I would like to set up in the nearby :cheerleader:

Hopefully with my new found knowledge and experience I will be able to report with a picture of the animal next time.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are off on the right track. Although 55#'s is a bare minimum. Is it a compound bow or a recurve? Is your arrows matched to your bow weight? Very important!

With only 55#'s of draw weight, arrow placement is a must. You won't get great penetration unless you place the arrow perfectly. I killed my first deer with a 45# recurve so I guess I shouldn't scold you for your choice. If you want to be an effective bow hunter, don't wait to get a 70# (Minimum) bow.

Please don't tackle an elk with your 55# arrow slinger. An elk is a very heavy animal and you'll have to be very luck to place an arrow between the ribs in order to reach the lungs. I've shot clean through a number of elk but I am wrestling a 95# elephant bow made by Jennings.

I'd say you had a very good experience on your first day out. Most guys hunt all season and don't get a 15 yard broadside shot.

I guess stranger things have happened....

tn.jpg

Tuf, 95 pounds. Man I bet you are wrestling with it. I shot an83 pound in competiition but was a lot younger. You are right, 70 is about the minimum. Although the first deer I got was with a 60 pound. Clean passthrough. All in shot placement. Good Luck Jeffery and great info Tuf.

I am definitly going to upgrade the #'age of the bow. I bought it before I really understood the whole mechanics of the process. Some information has been dumped on me and I have a better grasp of what I need and where I should be equipment wise.

As for the arrows, they were matched by the sporting goods store, and verified by my friend who talked me into going. The guy at the sporting goods store is an avid bow hunter and said it looked good all in all. Of course it being my first time out I would bet he thought I wouldn't get anywhere near to hitting the target so :moon: to him if that's the case.

For now I am going to practice on my placment and work on my patience. I know I rushed because I felt like the shot wouldn't be there long enough. In hindsight I can see a lot of my mistakes and where I need to improve.

Having read up, and hearing some of what you and the others have to say, I feel like I am on the right track and just need to work on getting better with each trip. The more I read and watch videos the more I am seeing what I could have done better for that shot.

So here's to the hunt and next time there WILL be a picture :beerchug: Even if it is of me looking like an idiot without a deer :laugh:

55# is fine with good shot placement. The main thing is to be able aim and hold without struggling.

I have a Mathews Legacy 40-70 with 80% let off. I have it set about 60# and have no trouble shooting through hogs and deer. You can actually shoot through a hog with only 35#.

You really dont need anything above 60# unless you are hunting Moose.

You need about 12-15 grains of arrow per pound of bow weight.

Like most things.....this is mostly opinion based.

Does anyone have any good sites where I can continue to grow my knowledge? I am going to seriously get into bow hunting, and I want to be as prepared as I can. :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any good sites where I can continue to grow my knowledge? I am going to seriously get into bow hunting, and I want to be as prepared as I can. :thumbsup:

Petersen's Bowhunting

I get this for reading.

If you have any local shooting ranges go to them.
Some may be just target...some may have 3-D shoots where you can walk around like golf and keep score of your shots at different animal targets and ranges....and some may have video range where you put special tips on your arrows and shoot at a video screen.:cheerleader:

like mentioned above....practice.

Practice like you are hunting....make an effort to make every shot count. It is better to shoot 9 thought out shots than to shoot 20 flings to see where you hit.:thumbsup:

One of the best mag subscriptions out there in my opinion Deer and Deer Hunting

If you really want good deer burgers get a good grinder and grind the meat yourself and use bacon for the needed added fat.

Also don't worry about needing 70-80 pounds on your bow. 45 and up on a properly tuned set up with surgically sharp broadheads is plenty. How many women out there do you think can pull 70-80 pounds? There are thousands ethically taking deer and other game each year with light draw bows.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the story. I switched to traditional archery a few years ago and love it.

Back