My Birthday Ride...(pix included)

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
Well, it was quite a surprise to have a noteworthy gathering at our usual 'haunt' for breakfast this morning.

Thanks, Jimmy for putting it together. I'm honored and humbled.

After breakfast, we hit it up I-15 to Gopher Canyon to determine whether or not we should go all the way to Idyllwild.

It rained hard in SD last night, which makes the back-country roads rather treacherous. We got to CA-76 and decided to scrap the Idyllwild run and go to Palomar, instead. The roads were still wet in a number of places (where the shade prevented the sun from drying the wetness).

We got up Palomar, having navigated our way through a thick layer of fog. At the top of the Mountain, it was sunny and very pleasant.

After a brief stay at Mother's Kitchen, we went down the Mountain on the 'fast side' and headed over to Banner Grade (freshly re-paved, sweet), out across the desert, over Yaqui Pass and down another mountainside into Borrego Springs for lunch.

We re-traced our tracks getting back to Julian, where the town was packed in honor of the Apple Festival. Go figure.

Anyway, we skirted the town by doing Wynola Road (extremely twisty), then stopped at an overlook to take a couple of pix. We headed down to Santa Ysabel, then took Old Julian Highway to Ramona. We skirted downtown and got closer to SD by using the usual canyons.

It was an awesome day.

Special Thanks to everyone who shouted out in recognition of my birthday...you're very special to me, and I'm very, very grateful.

Enjoy the pix, ya'llz.

My next trip is coming this Friday, when I join my home-boys in SE Wisconsin for a weekend of memories, there.

Cheers!

Scar

First pic...me, having turned 48...

Pre-Ride-10-5-08.gif

Last edited:
The rest of the pix are going to be without caption...

Jimmy,-Craig,-Scar,-Dave,-Greg,-Julian-Overlook-10-5-08.gif

Scar,-Julian-Overlook-10-5-08.gif

Last edited:
Also, as it turns out...

"Wasabi" turned 26,000+ today.

Wasabi-Turns-26,000+-10-5-08.gif

Almost lastly, here's a pic of me w/Wasabi atop Palomar Mountain at Mother's Kitchen.

One more pic exists, which Rick Clemson would have taken while we were on our way up Palomar. He doesn't usually post his pix until much later, so I'll have to add that when it comes available.

Again, everyone...from my heart...thank you so much for the great birthday wishes.

:beerchug:

Mother's-Kitchen,-Palomar-Mountain-10-5-08.gif

Last edited:
Well, here are the Rick Clemson pix from Palomar...

Evidently, he was up later last night, posting, than I was typing!!!

Not the best-ever pix from Pally, but fun, nonetheless.

First one, early settin' up for the corner, second one, gettin' into it some...

:beerchug:

Sunday, 05OCT08 (1).jpg

Sunday, 05OCT08.jpg

Happy Birthday Scar!

Which Alpinestars suit you wearing, you likey? Hot or cold weather riding?

Happy Birthday Scar!

Which Alpinestars suit you wearing, you likey? Hot or cold weather riding?

Thanks, bruddah~~~

That's their MX-1 (which I bought for myself for my birthday). I would call it my "Birthday Suit," but I'm confident the run of posts in this thread would probably get out of control.

I got it a couple of weeks ago from Cycle Barn in Seattle (tried it on while I was there, then ordered it over the phone and Kelly shipped it to me).

Frankly, I love it. It's my 3rd A-Star suit; while it's black and absorbs sunshine, it is perforated. I wear thermals (Mysterioso brand) underneath it (the Mysterioso's are a little heavier than Under Armor).

It's just getting cool enough here in the SoCal mountains to require a little layering.

Strongly endorse Alpinestars gear.

Back