My best friends "Mom & Pop" style motorcycle shop is to be no more...

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
A very fuggin sad day is coming. November 30th will possibly be the last day of an' awesome bike shop. I have been going there as a customer and part-time wrench for 30 years. He has been at this location for 33 yrs. New building owner,with new management doesn't want a bike shop...answer...evict our asses. Kick us to the curb. I am furious
cursin.gif
he is bigtime upset. :confused:
A lot of great memories here. Met my 3rd wife there. She came in for a starter motor for her Honda CBX550 and she didn't know how to install it...being the gentleman that I am...I did it for free. :thumbsup: Anyway,that kind of thing for me...much much more for him.
I will miss wrenching the bikes,helping out the riders. The cost of doing business these days makes it near impossible for a small shop to be big in profit. The cost of square footage for an' operation such as this is astronomical. Its a sad day for all the bike owners that get turned away daily by the big swanky shiny fancy dealerships. When a person tries to get parts or service for old bikes they are turned away and given our shop's name/number as a go to.
In a thread the other day a VMax was mentioned and I joked that I was working on one. A plastic model. Well,the next day,guess what...the real thing rolled in and I did the carbs on it. Nobody will touch this stuff any more.
VMax/Venture basically the same motor...

yam.jpg

yam 2.jpg

Some turds that need MAJOR work...

j.jpg

Folks with brand new that dont want to pay dealership rates for easy bolt-ons like sliders,etc...

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

Folks that have tried to do their own work...LOL...

doh.jpg

Classics that need the finishing touches...

d.jpg

Folks resurrecting old classics with our help...

c.jpg

krap.jpg

Most of my bro's "collection" are being sold off super cheap. This R1's powerplant is going into someones mini race car...

f.jpg

This was our original hill climber/dirt dragger that was replaced by a Gixxer 1100. It took some ballz to pin this,dump the clutch and hope for the best. Jim hillclimbed with it and dragged it in knobby and paddle-class tire.

h.jpg

i.jpg

6 or 7 old classics sold last week. Ya never know whats going to roll in the door for work.
Jim may keep one or 2 to restore for his own use...

20201017_083922.jpg

He's considering that one ^ I may be doing up this old Zook Intruder for a girlfriend...

g.jpg

I'll tell ya boyz...it's a cryin shame. We have 33 years of collected bikes and parts. 99% of it will likely end up in the scrap metal bin. For the folks that need that bank of carbs from a 1960's whatever and need them back in perfect running order...well that's what we do. We also do new...pretty much anything. Not much HD or British,KTM,Aprillia,MV etc...but we will take on anything.

Also gone...and its shiddy and a bit self centered of me, is my own personal shop. Free to use anytime I wanted for years. I can weld,fabricate just do my reg. maint. and tunes...and those for friends and family. Access to welders,hydraulic press,lathe,sandblaster,ultrasonic,tire machine,all the usual tools...uhhggg...I hate this. Its been his life for 33 years and I've been involved for a long time too. Last week we had a Victory in for a clutch rebuild. Neither one of us had done one before.The basket and hub come out together as one...then you sepparate with a special tool...we built that tool together. Fun shi7 nlike that.

We need to find shop space in a hurry for a reasonable price (that we pass on to customers) or else we're dead in the water. We're attempting to try and get funds together,maybe buy land...and build. Everything is so expensive these days. Hard for the small business guy to make a buck. I'm broke so I can't help with cash,just labor.

The clock is ticking...my shop is about to be...no more.

l.JPG

Rubb.

a.jpg

b.jpg

e.jpg

I just watched a news report of a bakery which has been in the same family for over 100 yrs is closing due to the same reason, it was in a building bought by developers and will be torn down. A historic building injunction was thrown out of court.

Many a movie plot was based on this exact thing-the evil developer taking a business away from a family...in the movie the family sometimes wins...not in reality though...

A sad thing to happen to all those people with motorcycles relying on this business....

That seams like a sad loss for many out that way. I hope it can be resurrected
Me to,Tet. Big loss for lots. Today was big fun as usual,but also sad. We started taking down duct work (sandblaster) moving out 1 of the compressors,etc. I hate this. A fun part was these 2 girls that came in. One wants to build an' old Iron head HD...I can do that for her. :D The other brought in her old classic. 1986 XV750. I used these,and Zook VX's,Honda Shadow's,Ninja's and others when I was building and selling custom choppers,bobbers,streetfighters,etc for folks that wanted something cool,one -of-a-kind but reasonably priced. 2-3K. Anyway she needed her brakes rebuilt and after finding out that her and her buddy have a business that has warehouse space and they might be nice enuff to maybe share some with us...I offered to be their new best friends. I'm hoping there will be a lunch date soon and some chit chat. (maybe talk business too...
blonde.gif
+ :p)...
Anyway I gave her bike the royal treatment. I forgot to mention to her that next year she is eligible for collector plate status. Way cheap insurance...cheaper that taking the bus. Anyway,up on the lift...

9.jpg

Not everyone's cup-O-tea, but for a 24 yr old daily driver its pretty sweet.
So I dig in,gonna give her some 1 finger brakes....
6.jpg

Now I know what you guys are thinking...Rubb couldn't fix a heavy wax build-up in his own ear...let alone handle this job. Not true....

1.jpg

So the cali's need a full rebuild. I like these 2 girls(ya,there cute) so they are getting a sweet job from me...I'll probably eat the labor bill...charge for parts only.
24 year old brakes is no match for Da Rubb...

8.jpg

Boom...the owner be doin' stoppies now...

5.jpg

Yup...I'm gonna miss the things that roll in sometimes...
blonde.gif
the bikes too. Always a challenge. This guy was worried I guess his custom can might fall off...hard for that to happen...somebody welded it on. LOL. Shiddy weld,but has 2 straps just in case. hahaha...

4.jpg

The owner of this 954 wants to part with it. It has not been on the road for 8 years. I'm going to ask what he wants for it...maybe I could work it off in labor for the shop owner. Take my Busa off the road for the winter and kick the krap outa this instead...

3.jpg

Our GSXR1100 hillclimber will never have the boss aboard again...thing was an' animal. We sometimes went up against huge dollar bikes and usually smoked 'em with our 500 dolla POS. hahaha

k.jpg

l.jpg

Come the end of November there could be a lot going in a steel recycle bin. Looks like junk to most,but when you are needing something that just isn't made any more...
There are only so many parts left in the world. When they are gone...thats it. Gone forever. There is some "off-shore" reproduction of parts but only for a few models and..........it is krap. Doesn't fit,doesn't work right,just shi7.
In to a metal bin,then prolly off to China (they buy tons of recycled metal) and then we'll buy it back in the form of krap products...toasters & microwaves. A pick-up truck full of these parts netted last week...
7 dollars. 7 WHOLE DOLLARS. Good grief.

"One man's trash,another man's treasure."

i.jpg

h.jpg

g.jpg

f.jpg

e.jpg

c.jpg

b.jpg

Well that's it my brother's for this instalment of "Back-Alley Bike Bastid".
See ya next time...if there is a next time.
Stay happy...

7.jpg

Rubb.

2.jpg

a.jpg

d.jpg

j.jpg

Me to,Tet. Big loss for lots. Today was big fun as usual,but also sad. We started taking down duct work (sandblaster) moving out 1 of the compressors,etc. I hate this. A fun part was these 2 girls that came in. One wants to build an' old Iron head HD...I can do that for her. :D The other brought in her old classic. 1986 XV750. I used these,and Zook VX's,Honda Shadow's,Ninja's and others when I was building and selling custom choppers,bobbers,streetfighters,etc for folks that wanted something cool,one -of-a-kind but reasonably priced. 2-3K. Anyway she needed her brakes rebuilt and after finding out that her and her buddy have a business that has warehouse space and they might be nice enuff to maybe share some with us...I offered to be their new best friends. I'm hoping there will be a lunch date soon and some chit chat. (maybe talk business too...View attachment 1628156 + :p)...
Anyway I gave her bike the royal treatment. I forgot to mention to her that next year she is eligible for collector plate status. Way cheap insurance...cheaper that taking the bus. Anyway,up on the lift...

View attachment 1628165

So I dig in,gonna give her some 1 finger brakes....View attachment 1628162

Now I know what you guys are thinking...Rubb couldn't fix a heavy wax build-up in his own ear...let alone handle this job. Not true....

View attachment 1628157

So the cali's need a full rebuild. I like these 2 girls(ya,there cute) so they are getting a sweet job from me...I'll probably eat the labor bill...charge for parts only.

View attachment 1628164

View attachment 1628161

Yup...I'm gonna miss the things that roll in sometimes...View attachment 1628156 the bikes too. Always a challenge. This guy was worried I guess his custom can might fall off...hard for that to happen...somebody welded it on. LOL. Shiddy weld,but has 2 straps just in case. hahaha...

View attachment 1628160

The owner of this 954 wants to part with it. It has not been on the road for 8 years. I'm going to ask what he wants for it...maybe I could work it off in labor for the shop owner. Take my Busa off the road for the winter and kick the krap outa this instead...

View attachment 1628159

Our GSXR1100 hillclimber will never have the boss aboard again...thing was an' animal. We sometimes went up against huge dollar bikes and usually smoked 'em with our 500 dolla POS. hahaha

View attachment 1628176

View attachment 1628177

Come the end of November there could be a lot going in a steel recycle bin. Looks like junk to most,but when you are needing something that just isn't made any more...
There are only so many parts left in the world. When they are gone...thats it. Gone forever. There is some "off-shore" reproduction of parts but only for a few models and..........it is krap. Doesn't fit,doesn't work right,just shi7.
In to a metal bin,then prolly off to China (they buy tons of recycled metal) and then we'll buy it back in the form of krap products...toasters & microwaves. A pick-up truck full of these parts netted last week...

View attachment 1628174

View attachment 1628173

View attachment 1628172

View attachment 1628171

View attachment 1628170

View attachment 1628168

View attachment 1628167

Stay happy...

View attachment 1628163

Rubb.

View attachment 1628158

View attachment 1628166

View attachment 1628169

View attachment 1628175
Where is that garage Andy?

Where is that garage Andy?
In the alley behind 656 Discovery st. Its the corner of Discovery & Douglas. Go down Doug towards town and turn right at Paul's Motor Inn and park right around there on the street. Walk down the driveway beside Discovery Coffee. Come visit me,I'll set you up with stoopid low prices on whats in stock or if ya wanna order something. There's probably not a lot left thats new,that you need,but ya never know. Stop in for a howdy anyway. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

In the alley behind 656 Discovery st. Its the corner of Discovery & Douglas. Go down Doug towards town and turn right at Paul's Motor Inn and park right around there on the street. Walk down the driveway beside Discovery Coffee. Come visit me,I'll set you up with stoopid low prices on whats in stock or if ya wanna order something. There's probably not a lot left thats new,that you need,but ya never know. Stop in for a howdy anyway. :thumbsup:
Rubb.
maybe you could stock my custom parts aswell?

maybe you could stock my custom parts aswell?
If we get new digs,I would totally run that past the boss. There are a couple of other shops here in town geared more towards the sport bike crowd,I could talk to them. If yer into it,perhaps consider custom bits for a bunch of different bikes. Gixxer,CBR,R6/R1,Ninja...there are not a lot of Busa's around these parts.
You've got talent mate,just have to figure out what the sportbike hooligans want. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

only issue i got is getting people to allow me to do measuring and fitment to their bikes, basically using their bikes as test puppets, which in oz, if they aint a close friend, they wont consider, even for a free prototype set. so its abit tricky for me atm to do parts for other motorcycles

only issue i got is getting people to allow me to do measuring and fitment to their bikes, basically using their bikes as test puppets, which in oz, if they aint a close friend, they wont consider, even for a free prototype set. so its abit tricky for me atm to do parts for other motorcycles
Understandable. Perhaps when you roll up on bike nights or track days and folks notice the goodies yer sportin' it will garner more interest. I'll keep thinking and start asking around the smart crowd to see if there's any idea's you could make float that are more cross-brand friendly. Generic sorta goodies.
Rubb.

Me to,Tet. Big loss for lots. Today was big fun as usual,but also sad. We started taking down duct work (sandblaster) moving out 1 of the compressors,etc. I hate this. A fun part was these 2 girls that came in. One wants to build an' old Iron head HD...I can do that for her. :D The other brought in her old classic. 1986 XV750. I used these,and Zook VX's,Honda Shadow's,Ninja's and others when I was building and selling custom choppers,bobbers,streetfighters,etc for folks that wanted something cool,one -of-a-kind but reasonably priced. 2-3K. Anyway she needed her brakes rebuilt and after finding out that her and her buddy have a business that has warehouse space and they might be nice enuff to maybe share some with us...I offered to be their new best friends. I'm hoping there will be a lunch date soon and some chit chat. (maybe talk business too...View attachment 1628156 + :p)...

View attachment 1628165

So I dig in,gonna give her some 1 finger brakes....View attachment 1628162

View attachment 1628157

View attachment 1628164

View attachment 1628161

Yup...I'm gonna miss the things that roll in sometimes...View attachment 1628156 the bikes too. Always a challenge. This guy was worried I guess his custom can might fall off...hard for that to happen...somebody welded it on. LOL. Shiddy weld,but has 2 straps just in case. hahaha...

View attachment 1628160

View attachment 1628159

View attachment 1628176

View attachment 1628177

View attachment 1628174

View attachment 1628173

View attachment 1628172

View attachment 1628171

View attachment 1628170

View attachment 1628168

View attachment 1628167

Stay happy...

View attachment 1628163

Rubb.

View attachment 1628158

View attachment 1628166

View attachment 1628169

View attachment 1628175
That’s a lot of treasure to be sure. Shame to bin it.
that 945 looks sweet. I found one in a guys barn a couple of weeks ago, same thing been off the road for 8years. Trying to get my nephew to sell his R3 and buy the ‘blade.
2562CC49-3AB5-4CB4-9388-1DC75D508B6E.jpeg
8CCCE896-1C09-4A9D-8C43-49547B802475.jpeg

looks like your are making the most of a bat situation.
if you come across a 82 Kat tank send it my way, mine has a patch of bondo on it and me no likey

That’s a lot of treasure to be sure. Shame to bin it.
that 945 looks sweet. I found one in a guys barn a couple of weeks ago, same thing been off the road for 8years. Trying to get my nephew to sell his R3 and buy the ‘blade.
View attachment 1628189View attachment 1628190
looks like your are making the most of a bat situation.
if you come across a 82 Kat tank send it my way, mine has a patch of bondo on it and me no likey
Thats funny...I put my nephew on a Blade some years back.
'82 Katana fuel tank...I will have your answer,Y/N in about 3 hours.My guess is no unfortunately,I believe I would remem if we had that tank,they are unique. A guy came into the shop yesterday and bought 6 different gas tanks,for next to nothing. He is using them for his "art" sculptures.
dunno.gif

Katana_14-730x485.jpg

Rubb.

@Tetsuo1000 and those that might have an' interest. I threw the 954 up on the lift yesterday. Pumped out a full tank of 8 year old fuel. Pulled the plugs and shot some "Break Free" into the holes to hopefully free up the rings incase (LOL) any moisture got in the cylinders. Hopefully she will fire up today. The whole bike doesn't look to bad. About the only real nasty it has are the stanchions. If the surface rust wasn't too bad I could have taken a fine flat wide metal file and cleaned 'em good enough to where they would not tear up the fork seals and leak. This is not the case. Don't care about the labor involved,re/re time on new tubes is nothing,it's the cost. I will check in our "Fork Forrest" ...
forks.jpg

and hope I get lucky,but I doubt there is a donor set in there. Not sure how many models use this particular fork,I have yet to cross referance that,but I'm not holding my breath. I could always swap out the whole front end for something we have laying around. If I can find a whole front with trees or even just legs,cali's and wheel,I'll go for that. When people notice that the front wheel doesn't match the back I'll just tell them that this model is a highly rare..."Special Edition."
rofl.gif
So that will have to be factored in when the boss makes the owner an' offer. Good condition used sportbike stanchions can be hard to locate as is the case with so many bikes that end up in wrecking yards is they are rusty and or that all too often a crash has occurred (cage turns left in front of bike) and the bike has been smashed in the face,destroying the forks.Rebuilding of the brakes,cleaning the fuel system,final drive,deglaze the clutch,bearings thru out and all that is mostly just time. The K&N air just needs a good clean and re-oil.
If I aquire this pretty sweet ride I'll have to cheap out on everything. We buy final chain in bulk,I'll use that,get some cheap steel sprogs,pump a few liters of 10-40 Motul out of the 45 gal drum (instead of my beloved Amsoil) buy some cheaper skins,not the lowest end krap...a notch just above. :laugh: The tank amazingly has no rust in it (sometimes you get lucky,this bike was left with a full tank) so i won't have to coat it. Time consuming and RedKote isn't that cheap really. I'll clean up the injectors using my new MotionPro unit that came in the other day,do some test pattern sprays for you guys (rate the machine) run some of that German fuel injector cleaner I love thru it to clean-up the lines and rails and prolly call it good. O ya...she'll get one of them 80 dolla' Chinese battery's. I've actually had good luck with them. :p
Perhaps a resurrection video is in order...see what an' 18 year old Honda is made of. :thumbsup:
Keep yer fingers crossed when I push the start button in about 3 hours. Set yer watches...say a little prayer to the "God's of Speed". :bowdown:
Rubb.

They bought my crashed xj750 rl in the early 90's. Always was a good shop.

So my lil' Honduh sat all night with some break free in the holes,free up the rings if necessary. Cool,try and flash her up and.....

a8.jpg

Curse you Hondag....
She no start. No biggies...took me 30 seconds to diagnose once I got it back inside from the freezing cold and wind noise. Outside I couldn't hear sheet. Inside...the fuel pump,she no prime. Cool part about having old parts 10 feet away...

a5.jpg

Presto...near mint condition pump/sending unit...
Its not exactly the same,different year,different model bike. The return fuel line spigot faces the wrong way.The high pressure line is meant to go on in the other direction and the new pump has a sump that is about 3 times as deep as the old one. Hope there is room below the tank for it...

a6.jpg

...out wit de old...

a3.jpg

in wit da new...

a7.jpg

Take her outside and put the defibrillator to it...
Boom. She's been down 8+ years...back in the land of the living. Let her warm a bit...crack the go fast button and wow...what a sound. Music to my ears. She runs strong. Sounds freakin' mean thru the 2 Bro's can.

a4.jpg

So I guess I'm on to the next lil' chore. Rear brake is frozen solid. The pedal does not move 1MM. Doh!
Front brake master uhggg. Yukk. This is the brake lever out. Look at the piston in there...it be stuck in there...

a1.jpg

Curse you Hondrat...

a8.jpg

Front master,front cali's,rear master,rear cali will be the next step. Then I'll have brakes and its wahhoooo test ride time. I have not ridden as decent powered short wheelbase bike in 4 years...except for a few that I've worked on for the boss. (yer not supposed to wheelie them) :p Call has been placed to the owner,no return call. :banghead: I wanna know if I'm working on my new bike.
Rubb.

a2.jpg

Your amazing Rubb. With your high I.Q. you could have been a scientist but you dedicated your life to helping so many others. All of us are blessed to know you even if it's just online. Life can definitely suck at times but you have motivated so many and assisted me so much that my dream of cruising on my beloved Busa will happen again one day. It;s an honor to know you my friend.

Your amazing Rubb. With your high I.Q. you could have been a scientist but you dedicated your life to helping so many others. All of us are blessed to know you even if it's just online. Life can definitely suck at times but you have motivated so many and assisted me so much that my dream of cruising on my beloved Busa will happen again one day. It;s an honor to know you my friend.
No Thomas,I'm just some shmuck with a rusty crescent wrench and a bent screwdriver.
What I've personally experienced here on the Org for many years is that if you give a little,you get a ton back.You actually don't have to give anything really,to receive kindness.I believe that kindness is shown to just about any member who needs/want's it. I think the membership as a whole does not help others for anything in return. We share knowledge,parts,whatever, for the pure pleasure of helping out our fellow Busa Brothers.Sometimes the shared help is not even motorcycle related.
There are from time to time,exceptions to the rule,but they are rare and usually the core group picks up on the scammers,perhaps the un-desirables and kicks them to the curb. Usually thou,2nd,3rd and even 4th chances are offered and the "all is forgiven policy" is enacted.A chance for a new or old member to take a step back,maybe re-think somethings and have another go.
The Org set's itself apart from so many other websites in so many ways. It has changed over the years,the core group adds new members,loses some,but I think the original values set down by Doug the owner will always exist as long as he holds the reins.
It's just a cool place,with cool people,doing awesome things.
Rubb.

Back