My AC went out in the house!

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I will be calling somebody first thing in the morning to come fix it. I hope it don't cost to much.:banghead:

whats it doin?

could be simple like a thermostat problem. had two fail on my system this year. one i was home for an replaced the other i wasnt and paid an extra hundred to have a repair man do it

I got home and it was still running but it was 82 degrees inside. I also smelt something burning.

It wasnt putting off any cold air.

what was running, the unit outside or the fan blowing?

if you could hear running from the fan area but no air, belt couldve went out that drives it, causing the burning smell. could be the drive motor burned. some you are supposed to service, that couldve caused the burning smell as well. i usually pay a guy to come and service my system before the season changes and i start it up for the first time. can save some repairs and down time. then if its a big deal allow you to start saving in advance.

You may want to check your outside unit and make sure that its clean and air can move across the fins.

CAp

depend on the system how the blower will be setup, some are belt driven.

20001101_Furnace_Tune-up_page005img001.jpg

Have you ever cleaned the coil inside ? This is the part directly above where your filter goes . If you have never done this then it could be clogged with crud and be preventing proper flow . The burning smell could be the crap coming off the coils and flowing onto the mechanism/motor above the coils ?

This is what it was in an apt I had a few yrs back .
Got some coil cleaner and a shop vac . Sprayed down coil , let it sit then rinsed it with one of those pump up water squirt bottles . With cleaner and water you need to spray it from above down in opposite direction of airflow so you arent pushing the crud thru coil. Vacuumed up everything that came thru coil and let it drip dry . turned it on and presto super cool .

Maybe ?

Virtually all residential units are direct drive, but you always see them in commercial applications.

yea because they have a larger blower. if its not a newer house with a large system it can be belt, my old house was belt, my newer smaller house is direct.

it could be a number of things, 1 Freon, 2 compressor, three condensing unit fan froze up, most likely the culprit, and on and on....oh duh just read that the unit outside was still running, well could be the A coil has crud on it in the furnace like some have said, or the fins on the outside condenser are junk up also, and maybe the Freon is just low....that will cause you too run hot also

Last edited:
The AC guy just left. I have air again! It was just the capacitor. He replaced it and toped it off with refridgerant and presto! Took all of 15 minutes. Sucks that j burned a day of sick time for 15 minutes of work but it only cost $60 and not the $1000 I was expecting.
Posted via Mobile Device

The AC guy just left. I have air again! It was just the capacitor. He replaced it and toped it off with refridgerant and presto! Took all of 15 minutes. Sucks that j burned a day of sick time for 15 minutes of work but it only cost $60 and not the $1000 I was expecting.
Posted via Mobile Device

glad it was an easy fix. It could have been a lot worse. I had to have mine done last year.

Have you ever cleaned the coil inside ? This is the part directly above where your filter goes . If you have never done this then it could be clogged with crud and be preventing proper flow .

Maybe ?

I just removed a ton of junk off my coils today. My a/c just didn't seem like it was putting out a lot of air. So I took it a part this morning and found that the coils were completely blocked. I carefully took a wire brush to them and pulled this off. Now you can feel the air coming out of the vents. :cheerleader:

IMG00009-20100614-1147.jpg

Back