Muffler repack Question

i had bought a set of two brothers carbon seriers bolt on's used from a friend and was wanting to repack them to try to change the tone and to freshen them up,,i had bought the repacking material from the local honda shop,,and took one of the cans apart and the packing material didn't look that bad,,i could probably reuse it,,,my question is the steel wool that is wraped around the center core is pretty carboned up and looks pretty burnt,,would it be ok or what would it do to the mufflers if i just took the steel wool out and just replaced it with just the fiber glass packing ,,would it just burn the glass right out with out the steel wool in place or do i need to replace the steel wool also and put the cans back together like they were stock,,thanks for any help and tips,,this is on an 05 busa,,cans came off a 2000 busa

you should be good to go with just the fiber glass packing. Or just go the local super market or hardware shop and buy steel wool.

i wonder if it would tone them down a bit if i just use the fiber glass packing,,they were pretty loud,and they sounded real rough sounding,,,i don't want them to quiet ,,but a nice smooth deep tone is what im looking for

i wonder if it would tone them down a bit if i just use the fiber glass packing,,they were pretty loud,and they sounded real rough sounding,,,i don't want them to quiet ,,but a nice smooth deep tone is what im looking for
If you want a low tone sell them and get some yoshimura rs3 race baffle cans. Very low tone at low rpms and when you hit the midrange they open up and scream

well i went ahead and repacked them with just fiber glass and it toned them down a bit and made them sound smoother removing the steel wool around the core,,hope they don't burn out too quick

smile.gif

Back