repacking muffler

paul-g

Registered
i have a brock alien head and this thing is loud, i think when the guy who got it all powder coated (original owner) that they didn't put the packing back in. the only reason i think that is my brother in law has and 07 gsxr 1000 with same pipe and mine is way, way louder. anyhow my question is when i do take the rivets out on the tail end and if there is no packing how would i go about repacking it since i have never done this and what type of packing/where to buy?

thanks for your help

After you do it once - you know how to do it. Not complicated at all, just take your time with rivets, and get the riveting tool.

My Micron can had almost no packing left when I opened it this past winter - after 10 years. I ordered packing material from Two Brothers based on someone's recommendation. She now sounds like 10 years ago as I remember. Prior to repacking she was a bit loud and buzzy.

i actually have the rivets and tool already (dummy forgot to put one in so i fixed it) just wasn't sure how much of a pain it is to do...seems pretty straight forward

Not hard at all. Pack it pretty tight, and feel free to use painter's tape to hold it in place so you can stuff it back in. The tape will burn off quickly. I was reluctant to do it for years being afraid of this challenge, but once done I was wondering why I didn't do it sooner. :beerchug:

Now that I looked at the instructions in the link, I remembered that I didn't even take the can off the bike - one end of the core was still attached to the bike. I simply packed it, and slid the can back on. It was a bit challenging, but I worked my way through it.

I have a question... I am going to powder coat my mufflers soon and was wondering if I need to remove the packing? I am getting to rebuild after last years wipeout. My plastics are back and are a darker blue then last time so I am going gloss black on the mufflers. It takes 410f for 15 - 20 minutes to cure. Will the packing be ok after the cook?

1ibandit....
The rebuild will be posted as best I can...

Back