Repacking D&D exhaust

card16969

Registered
I am repacking my D&D carbon fiber race core exhaust system, Im wondering what type of filling ppl have used and the weight of it. Ive heard of using rock wool and I have bails of it because I am building a powder coating oven and well that would be free. What materials affect sound and performance in which ways? I want to keep the deep growl but clean up the blown out sound it has now. Its been over 10k miles since I put the exhaust on and it was used when I bought it and I miss the original sound and would love to deepen it up more. Also considering shortening the cans

if its free then why not just give a few hours of labor and try it out? im sure itll sound fine. i pulled about 3/4 of the packing out of my two bros to get the sound i want. its easy just need some rivits and time

So nobody has any experience? I understand how to do it just want to know peoples experience with different packings etc

I've used steel wool several times on dirt and street bikes.
It works well.
The fiberglass muffler packing dampens the sound a little more, simply because it is not as porous.
I've shortened quite a few mufflers over the years too. It's easy to do, and doesn't make a dramatic difference in sound(slight change in tone and barely louder, unless you cut it down to 1/2 of it's original size).
I'de cut the cans for looks and use the free packing you have. It'll sound a little different, but not obnoxious.
Worst case is that you don't like the sound, have a little more labor time, and have to use a few more rivots.

Back