Mounted a new Storms rear today

sleepless_red

The artist formerly known as "sleeper_red"
Donating Member
Registered
Well, after over 18,000 miles with a little bit of meat left, I decided to replace it. It's pretty close to the wear bar but I didn't want to wait until later. Number one reason is that I ride even when the temperature is in the 20's like this morning. I didn't want to take a chance riding on it. The front however, is still in good shape also with over 18,000 miles on it. For those of you that missed my post when I mounted the set when she had 16,100 miles on her, she now has over 34,200 miles on her. Like I've said before, these tires are simply amazing.

How the Fv(k did you put 18,000 miles on a rear motorcycle tire? I never do burnouts and i rarely break 90 on my bike )I just accelerate fast(. My rear only lasts me 3k or so. I can see 6k with grandpaw style putting around but not 18k. Please explain?

Mike, the only thing I can tell you is that I don't ride hard and I average 80 mph when I'm out there. No burn outs, either. That's all I can say. Believe me, I was shocked, too.

I am going to watch my Storms and hope I get even half that!

The rubber compound must be hard as a rock. 18k miles is more like 3 sets for me with sport touring tires. 6-7k even my fronts are toast.
You may (probably) have a lot better roads than we do here too.

I've heard good things about the Avon Storm, so when I had the front OEM replaced after tangling with a chunk of Jersey barrier, I had them mount Storms front and rear. I'll wait and see how they perform over the long run. I had just over 5K on the originals and they looked good for another 2K or so, but didn't want to take any chances.

Sorry, but I don't have photos of the old one. I left it at the dealer for them to recycle.

Allot of getting great milage out of tires has to do with not weighing much guys that weight over 200 Lbs get allot less miles out of their tires than say guys that weighs under 200 Lbs

That could be true, rubber. I only weigh 185 lbs. I guess it really helps.

Avon Storm is an excellent street tire with excellent grip and wet weather characteristics. I have no clue how he gets 18,000 miles out of them though. I get 7-8,000 out of a rear and 11,000 maybe 12,000 out of a front.

Last edited:
Back