Motorcycle video recording equip help

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, trying to put together a video recording system for a motorcycle..

I am stuck on the first item I need to build the system

I remember seeing a type of lens, or fiber optic or something that connected to the firewire port on a digital camer and it was a long (few feet) optic type cable you could run anywhere.

The application I remember it being used for was someone connected it from the video camera mounted in the hump and ran the optics into the nose cone of the Busa.

I have looked through my links on my computer, I have done web searches and cannot find what I am looking for.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Can you either give me a direct link or better information that I can use to search the internet, such as a better description

I tried "bullet Cam" but all I kept coming up with were devices you could mount to a helmet and stuff. which isnt what I am looking for.

Anyone?

Kind of have a short fused project and need to start putting something together..

Thanks for any and all help..

Thrasherfox,

What are you trying to accomplish? Video on the bike canbe as simple as a video camera on a tank mount, to multiple remote cameras with a central recorder with remote control. it sounds like you are trying for the latter, but its overkill if you aren't going to do alot of recording. I'm still building my system out, I currently have 2 permanently mounted bullet cams running video cable to accessable jacks for the removable DVRs. My video signals are AV, so the resolution is limited to standard definition television.

if you want to go HD, then you need to move up to the DV signal, which is what you are talking about with firewire. I looked into doing that, but decided to hold off for a year to let the technology catch up to the hype.

I can help you sort through it if you like. I get off of work inabout 1/2 hour and get home and back online around 1:00.

(BusaWhipped @ Jan. 23 2007,21:51) Thrasherfox,

What are you trying to accomplish? Video on the bike canbe as simple as a video camera on a tank mount, to multiple remote cameras with a central recorder with remote control. it sounds like you are trying for the latter, but its overkill if you aren't going to do alot of recording. I'm still building my system out, I currently have 2 permanently mounted bullet cams running video cable to accessable jacks for the removable DVRs. My video signals are AV, so the resolution is limited to standard definition television.

if you want to go HD, then you need to move up to the DV signal, which is what you are talking about with firewire. I looked into doing that, but decided to hold off for a year to let the technology catch up to the hype.

I can help you sort through it if you like. I get off of work inabout 1/2 hour and get home and back online around 1:00.
Im going to bed lol

basically wanting to be able to have front and rear video.

I would like to have mini camera feeds in the nose cone and mabe one mounted in the hump facing rear and have the them connected to video cameras somewhere on the bike, either in a tank bag or back pack.

I want DV.

Money is not really an object, the final solution is the primary focus

Once I find a source for the remote camera optics then I figure I can determine which video cameras will work with them..

Yo Bud...have you seen this site
rock.gif
   link

(BA BUSA @ Jan. 24 2007,00:12) Yo Bud...have you seen this site
rock.gif
   link
nice setup, That could be a good source for the bullet cams.  You need to buy the upgrade to the 520 bullet cams.  They are a bit on the high side for pricing.

You are going to want a bullet cam that does 520 scan lines like the one here:
http://www.surveillancesolutionsinc.com/eshop...._id=261

I don't know anything about this company, so shop around. 520 scan lines will match a non-wide screen Mini DV camcorder.

For the camcorder, you need one that will take AV (composite video) input. I wouldn't suggest the wide screen format since the bullet cams will still be the weak link in the system. I haven't found an iLink/firewire bullet cam on the market yet. Be careful here, many of the camcorders advertise DV/AV in/out, but are really only AV out when you get into the specifications page.

Connect the bullet cams to the recorder using standard video cable. If you are running more bullets than recorders, you will need a video switch to select which camera is being recorded at any given time.

I run 1 recorder for the front and one for the rear. Once I get the 4 camera setup installed, that's 2 video switches, 2 dvrs, and 4 cameras to keep track of while riding. Recording video while you ride is a distraction, so be careful and practice with the controls so you can use them without having to look at them.

Hope that helps get you started.

One more thing, ignore any digital zoom nummbers you run across. The only zoom that matters is optical. Digital zoom degrades the picture quality.

(BusaWhipped @ Jan. 23 2007,23:07)
Also nice.  I do like that it is all self contined and writes to SD cards.  But without a remote control, the rear facing camera will be difficult to turn on and off.  (I know, I ran a rear facing camcorder last year).
I wouldn't see turning on/off a issue as you got to start and stop at some point an time..

better quality than youtube video

Last edited by a moderator:
Back