HELP ME FIND THIS PRODUCT!!

gtoinlv

Registered
My dad has a cool product for his new Goldwing that is essentialy a red light(s) mounted somewhere at the base of his wind screen that at night when turned on makes the outside edge of the windscreen red.... with a fiber optic type of effect. You don't JUST see it on the edge but that is where it is most notable and very bright. It's a cool effect and I would like a similar blue light for my '04 blue/silver Hayabusa. Anyone with information on this product please let me know. I am also interested in other tastefull illumination products along the lines of neon/LED/fiber optics Any other similar enthusiasts in this area please reply to me at gidexyz@aol.com as I am very interested in learning more about this topic. THANKS ALOT.

good luck round here if the cops see red or blue light emmiting from a street bike your busted and there gonna find some fudgin law to bust your ba77z over
mad.gif
sounds good though but im keepin my a$$ incogneto from the fuzz

It's called edge lighting and it is used in some type of sign's, gives a very similar effect to neon, you may have hit upon something here !!
come to think about it if you machine a design into your screen (cutting a Vee in)
and you edge lit the screen it would look really cool
biggrin.gif
,you could include multiple colour leds, strobing effects and complex designs
I have known about edge lighting for ages and never thought about adding it to a bike screen....DAMN!!!!
check this out
Edge lighting

With most of your screens with an unpolished leading edge, you could prolly work this out with just a few LED's without much hassle. Fitting on your ride is going to be a trick but the effect should be a given with just about any sort of plexi, or acrylic screens. It's just a matter of lining up the light with the edge.

I saw a guy in Cincinatti this year during the V-twin trade show with a similar product for Harleys and Cruisers . I'll try and find some information if I still have it and post it up here

Yeah its just done with leds. The reason why the edges show up well is because that is where the light refracts the best. In college I used to do this all the time on the windows I cut into my computers. You can etch something in a piece of plexiglass and throw an led or two on the outter edge and the etching glows like it is being lit from behind.
check out how it looks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my stock screen I could do it on... hmmm... I have damn good dremel skillz... I think I might do this if I'm bored.

Come to think of it. On his Goldwing the windscreen vent also lights up very bright. So I guess anything will light up if etched properly. I know he got this done at a special Goldwing enthusiasts show in Ohio. It ws like a place with hundreds of vendors and you could just bring your bike and have it outfitted with as much cool stuff as you could think of. I just wish I knew more about it all to do the project.

Ok, I've been researching all day. Basically SANDBLASTING is how it's done. I talked to a local sand blasting company and he said if I provide him with the artwork he knows what to do from there. I just have to give him the artwork and the windscreen. SO now we know how to go about it. Also I saw some flexible LED strips online that you can mount anywhere you want so I guess this is the way to do it. Just apply the flexible LED strip to the base of the windscreen and off we go with the COOLEST LIGHTING MOD EVER!!!! YES FOR ONCE I HAD A KILLER IDEA!!! Tonight I'm going to take the windscreen off to just investigate how it all goes together in there, measure the base of the windscreen that sits down out of view, to see how I might wire this up. For anyone who has removed the windscreen please tell me as much as you know about it. Also I need to know where I can get a graphic of the hayabus logo..I know it has a name like Kanji or something (excuse my ignorance) I need one to print out so that they know what to sandblast. ALL ADDITIONAL INFO AND IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED!!!!!

The company I got my DB screen from also made the fiber optic screen. I said "made" because, regretably, it was forced out of business. The company is www.hammerit.net

Quite unfortunate since they had quality products and great customer service. Managed to find a link though of what they produced. Is this what you were looking for? http://hammerit.freeservers.com/html/perspex.htm

From what I was told then, their fiber optic screen will literally light up (more so at night) if introduced with a light source like a LED or a small bulb at the base. Now I regret not getting one too. It sure is tricked.

Okay a friend of mine thinks I should put some flames that begin at the base of the wind screen and flare at the outer edges... maybe alternating blue and red lights!!! what do you think. Do the LED's have to be in contact with the windscreen or will it pick it up as long as they're close?

they really should be slightly embedded to get the best light distribution.... Touching will be ok but not real good and not touching will glow but look very very dim.

Back