GPR Stabilizer // Forthcoming Product Review

I have a aftermarket unit on one of my track bikes...they don't make you a better rider.

Spend your money in other areas first...suspension, brakes, and most importantly...RIDER TRAINING :please:

Oh man, ask my girlfriend if I've spent money in the other areas :whistle:

Yes, I will agree that suspension is one of the greatest upgrades to a bike and seldom done by new riders, while an exhaust really does nothing and is probably the #1 mod.

Mods won't make you a better rider, but confidence will.

I can say that because Scar used to like to run in the back of the group on his Gen I but once he leaned over his Gen II which turned in better we've all been trying to catch him. I mean just watch his videos :thumbsup:

Oh man, ask my girlfriend if I've spent money in the other areas :whistle:

Yes, I will agree that suspension is one of the greatest upgrades to a bike and seldom done by new riders, while an exhaust really does nothing and is probably the #1 mod.

Mods won't make you a better rider, but confidence will.

I can say that because Scar used to like to run in the back of the group on his Gen I but once he leaned over his Gen II which turned in better we've all been trying to catch him. I mean just watch his videos :thumbsup:

Gen1 vs. Gen2...the suspension, wheel base, weight of the bike...Gen2 is 5 lbs heavier. Scar's improved riding ability has NOTHING to do with the Gen2 :rofl:

I love this type stuff!

Me and my buds are new to track riding and we are slowly getting our ability and equipment up to speed.
One of my friends had some head shake in our earlier track days, if I recall correctly, it was usually when exiting corners - and yes, he was new and the head shake was probably all his fault! He rides a Kawi 600 and the bike did not have a stabilizer on it.

He added a GPR for the last track day we did and said he loved it and he did not have any head shake! He would set it really stiff when heading out to the track, and when in the paddock he would back the setting off to its loosest position - the one he bought has a dial on it that allows the rider to adjust the stiffness on the fly.
Was the lack of head shake because of his riding ability increasing?
Was it because of the GPR?

I dunno but I'll tell ya this much, I dont think you could talk him into taking it off!

Last edited:
Awesome topic, I too am interested in seeing the write up and our members input...

Great job Scar! :thumbsup:

I've riden many high performance bikes with and without damping divices so I too have an opinion. The only two situations I have felt the tendancy to shake/wobble are:

high speed wheelstand coming back to earth with front end slightly off center upon touchdown

power stand when exiting corner and still not fully "righted" during acceleration

I'm sure there are other circumstances that will induce front end shake, I just can't speak to them.

I respectfully disagree with the statement that there is little help with prevention on the part of a damping unit. Clearly a dialed in bike and rider with high skills are necessary elements that should coesist with the damping discussion....so anyways...if there is a preexisting amount of damping on the bike that finds itself in one of the two situations described above, then there is a PREEXISTING degree of mechanical resistance to steering oscillation, therefore no shake or minimized shake under this "combat" situation.
Remember, really great riders with perfectly great bikes also find themselves a little past the edge as well.
That all being said, it doesn't mean a motorcyclist can't spend his/her entire life riding without a damping divice!

BTW, Scar, you rock! Doyle

Nice write up Scar!
Thanks!

Your a tough crowd Tuf. :poke:

He is but I have agreed with him twice now in 2 other threads, so I won't touch this one..... Going for a record.
(If I would touch it I could ask Scar what weight of oil is in that stabilizer, but I won't).

:whistle:

Tuf, you did accuse me of having a sense of humor........

Last edited:
in a market where some idiot will buy that "Lord Humongous" crap?

I have a GPR4 and you know I like jumping on the freeway and not dealing with near the amount of wind issues from big trucks and as the tires get thin, wandering in road ruts/stripes.. and the occasional off center wheelie landing..

Do you HAVE TO HAVE ONE? no.. but it sure is a lot better money spent than about 95% of the garbage we put on our bikes.. (fenders, LEDs, billet covers, and the list goes on)..

i have a gpr on order and should have it by wednesday

From where did you buy it? Curious, because I am working with Mr. Norman on a Group Buy.

Hope you got a really good deal on it, yo! Either way, I'm glad you bought one, and in particular, the GPR.

:beerchug:

Awesome topic, I too am interested in seeing the write up and our members input...

Great job Scar! :thumbsup:

Thanks! The magazine should be in 'distribution' phase right now. :beerchug:

in a market where some idiot will buy that "Lord Humongous" crap?

I have a GPR4 and you know I like jumping on the freeway and not dealing with near the amount of wind issues from big trucks and as the tires get thin, wandering in road ruts/stripes.. and the occasional off center wheelie landing..

Do you HAVE TO HAVE ONE? no.. but it sure is a lot better money spent than about 95% of the garbage we put on our bikes.. (fenders, LEDs, billet covers, and the list goes on)..

Nicely summarized, Randy. :whistle:

Nicely summarized, Randy. :whistle:

I have quality garbage on mine bike, not the standard garbage, there is a difference.

:rofl:

by the way I have 15w in my GPR, like it stiff..:laugh:

Last edited:
From where did you buy it? Curious, because I am working with Mr. Norman on a Group Buy.

Hope you got a really good deal on it, yo! Either way, I'm glad you bought one, and in particular, the GPR.

:beerchug:

:beerchug: awaiting GB. Might have to have one now

I just got off the phone with the Rider's Review editor...the PDF will be available on Tuesday, 06JAN09.

Back