gpr stabilizer/drag racing

trevor

Registered
Hey everyone, just ordered a new gpr stabilizer yesterday! All the info i found showed it to be the best bang for the buck. I am going to start to drag race this summer and think this will make things feel much better. Getting ready to order brock's clutch kit , straps and bones also.
I have a 2005 w/ a pc3, rs3 full race 4-2-1 carbon fiber pipe, and up 2 teeth in the rear sprocket, pingle electric shifter. I drag raced a bit in the past but it was on a 86 600r ninja.......I think im in for a big learning curve.
If anyone has any input on the Brocks gear, good or bad, please let me know. I will be riding, realistically, more on the street than at the track.I hope to get to the track atleast 4 or 5 times. Im hoping i can get away without extensions and a drag tire for this year atleast.
Thanks for listening, im getting really excited to stick on that gpr. :thumbsup:

trevors pics may 09 368.jpg

Last edited:
great set up. brocks stuff is top notch i tell ya. how bout the rear tire though. I put a shinko stealth on mine for this year. cant wait to try it out. good luck and lets see some times when you go...:cheerleader:

Good Dampner we sell lots of them but Scotts outsell them 2 to 1 most days..

i have never found the need for a steering stabilizer, that money would be better spent on extensions.

strap for front and a cut-down seat are very cheap, but must have items as well.

im running pirelli rosso tires on it, they seem pretty sticky, the corsa III 's that i had on before seemed to soft for the big busa, especially with a passenger. I would like to get a cut down seat too. I'm about 5'11'' and wonder if seat would be comfortable on street of if i would have to run 2 different seats. do the tobin seats make good drag seats or are they more for show? Hopefully i can get through this year without extensions and still do ok at the track. Adjustable stabilizer makes much nicer at the track, really helps w the speed wobbles.
The first event is im the end of may i think, and I plan on going. There is no point in delaying the inevetable! Will definately post some times and photos. When and if the times ever get low enough, I'll post some video. That probably wont be this year...as Im guessing I'll probably suffer from a pretty weak launch until I get used to the big power.

Last edited:
no matter what some will tell you....the times don't matter as long as you are having fun.

i do not like the Tobin type seats, i carry a little too much junk in my trunk to worry about sliding backwards. if you are going to buy a second seat i would just get the fiberglass or carbon fiber drag style seats.

very true, fun is the biggest factor. This bike makes people expect big numbers though....but they will come with experience.
I think i will wait and get a carbonfiber seat as you said. From what i read, i think that means i need 2 buy a doner seat for the hardware. not a big deal

very true, fun is the biggest factor. This bike makes people expect big numbers though....but they will come with experience.
I think i will wait and get a carbonfiber seat as you said. From what i read, i think that means i need 2 buy a doner seat for the hardware. not a big deal

Correct. Best to find a donor seat. Buy a complete, strip it and resell the seat for someone to use as a core. ;) Cutting and recovering a stock one will help but not quite as low as a carbon pan. There is an aluminum one that is better than the carbon, but pricey! But that is the way I would go if I did it over.

just to clarify, you would go w/ the aluminum? Also, what is your opinion on swingarm extensions? Should i be ok without any? I would rather wait until winter and put something like a 2-4 " macintosh swingarm on it.

Brocks makes bikes go FAST!

If your going to drag often, you may consider doing what I did. Purchase a second rear wheel so you can mount a Shinko drag radial. When your going to drag race simply replace the entire rear wheel, at this time you can always change the rear sprocket for a better times, instead of trying to go fast on your usual street riding gear ratio.

The Shinko has a nice flat profile where the sticky trackday tires like the power one, diablo supercorsa, michellin pilot series, etc are rounded for great cornering. Plus look at the price of a Shinko 003 stealth or hook up drag radial they are a lot less expensive compared to a sticky trackday tire and perform better on a drag strip.

the tire issue does worry me a bit. As i mentioned earlier, i run pirelli rosso tires and they are not cheap up here in canada, a dedicated drag tire/wheel would definately b ideal.:beerchug:

just to clarify, you would go w/ the aluminum? Also, what is your opinion on swingarm extensions? Should i be ok without any? I would rather wait until winter and put something like a 2-4 " macintosh swingarm on it.

I would... at least try it anyhow. I'm big enough that the Gatlin Aluminum might have too large a notch. There are two different style CF or fiberglass pans. Someone over 210-220 might be too big for the standard ones. The other is called a heavy hitter by some and allows you to be further back. I've had both and could not get comfortable on the standard one. I was 235-255. I'm now about 220. If I get under 200 I'm going to try a gatlin. It seems to be in between but closer to the standard.

I prefer the swingarm, if anything else because of the looks. A quality set of extension will work fine.

Here are a couple of short "cheater arms" Retains the stock look but helps quite a bit. The bike is around 61" in this picture. You can also see my CF seat pan I bought from Goldenchild.

45.jpg

4306.jpg

where do u get those "cheater arms"? I only want to go 2-4 '' anyway, as i want it to be very streetable! I think i could live w an extra 2'' on the street. Mabey i could get my adjusters lengthened locally......Just a thought.
that seat really looks cool, it really gets u down in it! Iweigh about 175 and am 5'10'' so i can get tucked pretty easy. I notice that there is no real second step up on the back of the seat, is this personal choice? also, what is the small access hole in the fairing screen for? rad access?
you have a real nice set up there, beautiful bike:bowdown:

Trevor

Both arms are cheater. The one in the back was built by cutting the tail off another stock arm and welding it to lenghen the adjustment slot. It is about .75" longer allowing you to add a pair of links. The one in the front is on the bike. It was built by Terry McIntosh. It is about 2.25 -3.25 longer. He whacks the end off the stock and and replaces it with a custom billet one. Most build them with 5-6" of adjustment and they loose the "stock" look. I've only seen McIntosh and Spencer arms that look like this, I'm sure there are others.

No 2nd step becuase I'm too fat! lol. That is the heavy hitter version for us bigger guys. You'll want one with a step. If you go the carbon fiber route, search here on the mounting. You'll may want to build a rear mount. Most only use the stock front mount and let the rear lay loose on the rear tail. User choice, but I made a mount to keep mine from rubbing the bodywork.

The hole is for my frame slider. I hadn't remounted it when that picture was taken.

Here is a closeup.

3.jpg

Also notice the GPR. I've been very happy with mine. I think you will be as well.

thanks for all the great info professor! Im glad to see that gpr on your bike , and from what i can see in the pic , that about the wheelbase im after.that swingarm does look stock, it looks like it came like that.Makes for very nice lines. You have a really nice bike. Luv the rims!:thumbsup: Do you leave it stretched when you drive it on the street? if so , how does it handle?

Just be careful that first time down the track! The new ride puts out a little more power then the old one.

just a little bit eh? two totally different bikes. I think ill b ok though. just a little slow out the gate at first.......Gotta start somewhere

Back